Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tallow

Tallow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190211_152758.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	235912

Some of your lube recipes call for tallow. I found this at Wally World.
    Any thought on using this in bullet lube? Cost effective?
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 02-13-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Been using pure tallow for my smokeless & BPCR reloads ... For Years!
    Regards
    John

seems overly expensive
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Quote Originally Posted by Driver man View Post
    seems overly expensive
    I thought so too. $1 per oz is up there.
    But I wonder how this compares to natural sources? 14 oz should last quite a while.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 02-13-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Master

$16 / pound is about what Lanolin cost. Try making it yourself and you would charge $25/ lb

I use tallow in some of my soap recipes. Grocery store up here still sells 1 lb block for pretty reasonabl4e. As I remember under 5$.

Any thought on using this in bullet lube? Cost effective?
    1. This beef tallow is not pure back strap MUTTON tallow
    2. $21.47 for 1.53 oz is a total rip off for beef tallow
    3. Pure mutton tallow makes the best bullet lube
    4. Here's a source for pure mutton tallow at $0.52 per ounce ... https://grasslandbeef.com/lamb-tallow

I have been using Grass Land Beef mutton tallow for more years than I can remember for smokeless & BPCR rounds
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    What would Walley-World be selling beef tallow for? Are there recipes that use it? Maybe I just know it by another name.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    What would Walley-World be selling beef tallow for? Are there recipes that use it? Maybe I just know it by another name.
    It was in the shortening isle... next to the pure duck fat! Lol.

Boolit Master

People are realizing the real FAT is better for you than FAKE fat as long as you don't eat too much. that is why it is becoming more common.
    If you only need 2000 calories per day but eating 4000 a day, your gonna have problems.
    Last edited by randyrat; 02-14-2019 at 11:37 PM.

The consensus seems to be beef tallow is not as desirable as other sources. But it could have desirable attributes.

Next question. Is there anything I should know about mixing other ingredients with the beef tallow?
    I currently like using Satins Lube.
    Equil parts of bees wax, paraffin, Vasoline, and 1/6 part of Ivory bar soap. I would like to experiment adding beef tallow into the mix. Either partially or entirely replace the vasoline.
    Yes it seems like an expensive alternative, but would it be worth while?

I could just try it and see, but looking for those with experience in the matter to avoid wasting my time and money.

Boolit Bub
    this reminds me, I have a bunch of fat trimmings from my deer in the freezer,
    how well does straight tallow work with smokeless? does it run on a hot day?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shootsblanks View Post
    this reminds me, I have a bunch of fat trimmings from my deer in the freezer,
    how well does straight tallow work with smokeless? does it run on a hot day?
    Rendered venison tallow will turn back to a liquid in any hot climate . You have to
    mix it with beeswax to firm it up. It will work in low velocity lead loads, But Ben's
    Liquid lube is better.
    webfoot10

Trim a brisket real well, you should come up with plenty of fat to make your own.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Mmmm..... brisket.
    USMC VETERAN
    NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

What they are calling Tallow I would say that it's more like lard since it's in a glass jar.
    Tallow when it's rendered right is hard. Nothing wrong with Beef Tallow if it's rendered with out preservatives. I have made tallow from Beef as well from Bison and deer, pork.
    Here is the last batch I made from Buffalo fat. It was rendered out in a water bath four times and it's as hard as a tallow candle. It's yellow for about a week but turns white. It does not need to keep in a freezer or fridge it will not turn rancid if it's made right. If I use it for black powder I will use it straight or maybe mix it with Ozokerite or Soy wax.
    Out can set right on the powder with a wax paper wad or nothing if your going to shoot it in a few days.
    Here is a block 4 years later that has never been wrapped or in a fridge.
    Attachment 237477

Attachment 237474Attachment 237475Attachment 237476Looking at

Boolit Master
    When I render any fat I do it over low heat and filter it thru paper towels. That catch's any particles that may cause it to go rancid. I have some rendered beef kidney fat that is over 5 years old. I agree with Lead pot. If it is done right no fridge is needed.

I use my renderings for soap, lube, candles.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Lead Pot - my back strap mutton tallow from Grass Land Beef is as white as new fallen snow and is hard- not the yellow color of beef lard
    Regards
    John

Hi John, hope to make it to Ridgeway this year.

My tallow is usually white also and hard fat will do this.
    The round buff bull I made this from I told the processor to save the fat but it turned out most was the soft yellow fat but it took a little more time rendering it out also I ran it through a grinder to break it up finer and this took more screening but it turned out just fine and also it turned just as white as the hard fat. You can see the difference from the start and 4 yard later it was just good.
    It all depends how much you work it in slow simmer and not letting the water cook out and burn it. This yellow fat made a lot of gelatin I saved and used it for patch lube for the muzzle loader but it needs to be kept cold for long usage. But it sure works.
    This batch if I want to shoot (dirty) with out fouling control I will drop 280 grams in a 12" round cake pan with water and let it simmer on a hotplate and let it cool and this will make a 3/16" very uniform thickness cake to cut lube wads and just a .030 wad under the bullet for a scraper and a wax paper wad used to compress the powder and set the lube wad on it directly on the powder and I can empty the whole ammo box with out the use of a blow tube or wiping. Maybe a blow through the muzzle or breach now and then.
    I shot 100 rounds with this lube without fouling control at 200 yards with my new .44-100 Rem Shiloh and all but 3 shots went outside 4" when I shot the new brass the first time.

Boolit Mold
    It is probably there for making tallow crust pies because too many people have been watching the british baking show. I have had some of the grass land beefs mutton tallow in this office since 2010 and it is not rancid. Just used a pound of it to make lube yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast