MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Using GC bullets without GC

Boolit Bub

Using GC bullets without GC

will a 358156gc boolit be ok to shoot without check? I will be loading 3.5 grs Bullseye for 38spl. Will they seal in a snub barrell? Thanks

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    As a general rule, GC design bullets can be used without the GC if the load would otherwise be suitable for a plain-based bullet AND the driving band diameter above the GC heel is large enough in diameter to fit the revolver cylinder throats. You 3.5 grains of Bullseye is appropriate in the .38 Special.

I would, however, try a couple bullets for fit in the cylinder throats. If they enter the front of the cylinder easily and fall through of their own weight, the bullets are too small, unless VERY soft, no harder than 8 BHN, so that they will upset in a standard pressure load. If the bullets enter with slight resistance, but can be pushed through the chambers and out of the cylinder using hand pressure only, wiping a thin film of bullet lubricant on the cylinder throat walls, THAT is PERFECT.

If bullets are large enough that they require force to enter and cannot be pushed into the chambers with thumb pressure only, then they should be sized.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    As a general rule, GC design bullets can be used without the GC if the load would otherwise be suitable for a plain-based bullet AND the driving band diameter above the GC heel is large enough in diameter to fit the revolver cylinder throats. You 3.5 grains of Bullseye is appropriate in the .38 Special.

I would, however, try a couple bullets for fit in the cylinder throats. If they enter the front of the cylinder easily and fall through of their own weight, the bullets are too small, unless VERY soft, no harder than 8 BHN, so that they will upset in a standard pressure load. If the bullets enter with slight resistance, but can be pushed through the chambers and out of the cylinder using hand pressure only, wiping a thin film of bullet lubricant on the cylinder throat walls, THAT is PERFECT.

If bullets are large enough that they require force to enter and cannot be pushed into the chambers with thumb pressure only, then they should be sized.
    Outpost75 has spoken and nothing else to add - he's got it covered.

Boolit Grand Master

I shot that same boolit sans GC with 2.7 BE. It worked fine!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    I like Bullseye because it covers alot of different calibers and keeps things a bit more simple ,but I am well aware and always on the lookout for that double charge.

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    I would hate to have to guess how many 357156 bullets have been loaded and fired in 38 Specials without benefit of gas check. If I could only own one bullet mould for all 38 and 357 loadings, that would be it. It works great for a wide variety of loadings, from mild to very powerful.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I have shot many thousands of that same load scrimped in the bottom crimp groove with great results.
    With a Marlin 1894c I can hit a 8” or so steel at 200 yards all day long resting it on some sandbags.
    That’s with a whole bunch of mixed brass that I’m sure doesn’t help consistency and accuracy.
    Same bullet coated and loaded bare base in 357 mag is know to hit the 8” steel at 300 yards regularly.
    I don’t waste my time with has checks but I’m not obsessed with accuracy. If I hear the steel ring I’m happy. .

Boolit Master

Michael J Spangler...I can hear it. You set off the primer, the gun goes Bang, and (wait for it...) the gong rings. Then the look on your face...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Michael J Spangler...I can hear it. You set off the primer, the gun goes Bang, and (wait for it...) the gong rings. Then the look on your face...
    I live for that sound.
    I don’t care to shoot paper for accuracy test. I just put a smaller piece of steel out at my set distance and see if I can hit it.
    Way more fun!
    Sometimes shooting the 148 wadcutters at the 200 is fun too.
    I have time to shoot and quickly pull off my ear pro to catch the sound of the ring. Takes about a full second to get there.

Boolit Bub
    Maybe you could use different size plates and have different tones and make a new country song with the sounds from the plates. Wonder what could be some song titles?

Boolit Master

Oh, I wish I was in the land of Cotton...
    Last edited by Land Owner; 02-14-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Divedigger View Post
    Maybe you could use different size plates and have different tones and make a new country song with the sounds from the plates. Wonder what could be some song titles?
    Great idea.

Boolit Master
    At a SASS State match, one of the stages started out like Mary Had A Little Lamb.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Bub

Been going to try this for some time on a 44 mag.

Anyone have any luck filing the lube grooves and not the base with a lubrisizer?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Drifty4 View Post

Anyone have any luck filing the lube grooves and not the base with a lubrisizer?
    The only way to do that with a Lyman or RCBS or Saeco lubesizer, is with a custom die post (part I) to match the contour of your boolit base.
    ALSO, it should be easy to setup a Star to do that as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drifty4 View Post

I use a star and it works great. No issues.

Boolit Master
    I take the lube off with a fingernail. Takes a couple more seconds per boolit. Haven't had any squib loads due to lube getting in powder. These are .38 Spl. with 3.4 gr. WW231 used for SASS. Some of them have been loaded for a couple years because when running the Dillon 550B that's how many I load.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

of the several moulds that I have that are gas checked , accuracy was allways good without gas checks installed