RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it a national law that cast bullets cannot be used in indoor facilities?

Boolit Buddy

Is it a national law that cast bullets cannot be used in indoor facilities?

Took my nephews to new indoor range in Richmond, Va - Winding Brook Indoor range. Beautiful facility, but was told I couldn't use my cast reloads. It wasn't just the rule at that facility, but staff said it was all indoor ranges. It's been a while since I was at a different range, but I smelled b.s. but I didn't make an issue of it. I was there to have fun with my nephews.

Boolit Bub
    Im going to call bull on a national rule. I shoot cast at my indoor range almost 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Not so much cast bullets but your reloads as they SELL factory ammo to augment the cost of range operation. It is in their profit structure to preclude reloads. Plus, they accuse reloaders of faulty ammo production, which could lead to injury and increased insurance/costs for operating the range. Their attorneys are in the mix.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quick story....

Am visiting one of my sons in Raleigh NC.... he takes me to a newish indoor range.I took a 70's Gold cup and a #14 Smith....both with tackdriver CB loads.

Just to be polite,I ask the RO if cast is cool with them. The late 30 sumthin woman says,she'll have to ask? So she goes up to the big cheese RO and asks him if armor piercing ammo is ok.....

This guy comes over and asks me what the heck? I'm like..... huh?

Long story short,cast was fine by them but no armor piercing. But how the question got screwed up is the interesting part. Seems a little "power" and a pea sized brain got their wires crossed. I ended up liking the head honcho,and got into the finer points of indoor ranges(we have one) vent systems and backstops. He just rolled his eyes on the females comments.

Boolit Master

My local indoor range checks ammo using magnets to avoid steel/armor-piercing bullets breaching their backstop. Other than that, all's well. Always end up with more brass than I brought...nice facility, rapid fire allowed, shoot from holster (once qualified), 50% off for CHL holders, senior discounts...

My indoor range does not sell ammo, no counters lined with glass putting it on display.

Now if you happen to have a need for a box of 9mm, chances are someone can take care of you.

Ohhh and my range does not say a thing about my cast bullet reloads.

Boolit Master

I've been thinking about putting in a small window in my loading room so that I can shoot "indoors" in the winter, and maybe to shoot out of it for testing reloads at anytime.
    I would be able to shoot out to 200 yards.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

A lot of indoor ranges prohibit cast because of concern about lead in the air.

Super Moderator

Our local indoor range does not prohibit the use of cast boolits, or people's own handloads. They do prohibit steel jacketed/penetrating ammo. They don't check it all, but if it starts sparking downrange they will shut it down. I can see some ranges not allowing CB due to "lead in the air" concerns though. Our range is new, and has a supposedly state of the art filtration system. Each range can set their own rules.

Boolit Master

The only time I have ever shot at an indoor range, the guy at the counter asked what ammo I was going to use.
    I told him I would use my reloads.
    He asked to see them, waved a magnet over the 2 containers of cast reloads (44 special and 9mm) and waved me on.

Once the RSO inside saw me picking up my brass, he started sweeping it all towards me.

I left heavily loaded with brass.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    The new indoor range that I belong to does not allow any lead bullets, cast, swaged, coated hand cast or factory loads. It lets some shooters out of the game because older rounds such as 32 S&W, 32-20, are only loaded factory with soft lead bullet. They do allow hand loaded jacketed and plated however, they would really like to disallow hand loaded ammunition. Such is the world today with too many lawyers with not enough to do.

Boolit Grand Master
    It would appear that each range, whether indoor or out, has its own rules and if commercial, it’s own business model. Some is based on laws, some on safety needs specific to the facility, some on the profit motive, and some on magic ju ju passed on through the ages. Change comes slowly if at all, but is more like to creep toward more restriction, but that’s just the way it goes.

A dear friend of mine, now deceased, had a window in his shop that opened out into a wire and canvas tunnel 100 yds long to a lighted target and berm. He allowed any rifle you could shoot from the bench on that range, then you could go a couple of hundred yards through the woods to his covered 200 yd, 4 firing point range. I sure miss those opportunities to go commune with Charlie Dell and his inspirational home!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Indoor ranges is all about policy, mostly due to insurance vs reloads. The bull flag needs to be thrown on lead/cast boolits vs jacketed. When the primer is struck there is lead laden gas released. The base of a good amount of jacketed bullets are lead. I know people that test indoor ranges and some won't shoot on them because of bad air quality. If its stuffy at the indoor range go shoot somewhere else. You'll get less lead exposure smelting wheel weights. Modern ranges with good circulation your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Old colt View Post
    Im going to call bull on a national rule. I shoot cast at my indoor range almost 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Same here. No law
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    At a local range here in the basement of a gun store they only allow lead free ammo that they sell. They had to shut the range down for a while due to lead in the air concerns. The decision was to allow ONLY lead free ammo so they could open range again. To assure ONLY lead free ammo, they require ammo to be purchased from them - ain't cheap!

I suspect the cost of installing a good air filtration system that would allow lead bullets was a bit more than the small store could afford, hence the lead free ammo and no "high dollar" air filtration system required.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Maybe this is a new "Republik of Virginia" law?

So...what does a guy with a 22 Rimfire do?
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master

I too don't believe there is a "law", national or local. I think the EPA or a state equivalent can inspect a facility and require ventilation, but no actual law on the books. Gun counter clerk's bull poop...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    How about Polymer jacket ?

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds like a range rule not a federal law. The owners of the range can make any rule that they want to make. Its up to us if we can live with them or not. Personally, not being able to pick up my own brass, shoot my reloads or shoot cast would be a deal breaker for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast