Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it a national law that cast bullets cannot be used in indoor facilities?

Boolit Master
    The indoor range that I go to occasionally will allow any handgun that you bring that is not a rifle round or metal piercing which excludes a lot of Encore shooters and BFR revolvers. .22 and 17 rimfire rifles are ok, as well as shotguns.
    If you have a desire to rent one of their handguns you must buy ammo from them.
    All I've ever fired there was cast. They finally got the exhaust system working better, so it's not nearly as stuffy as it was. Now if they'd improve the lighting......
    And there's no problem collecting orphaned brass if the person that fired it doesn't want it. I keep a cheap nylon backpack in my ammo bag along with a small dustpan and have collected a LOT of brass.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

There is no national law. Indoor ranges give themselves a bad name when they make stuff up. They can have whatever rules they want. But don’t lie and say it’s a federal law.

If a range was truly worried about lead exposure they would only allow total metal jacket bullets and NT primers. A lot of lead exposure comes from the priming compound. And so does an exposed lead base on a FMJ bullet. Lack of consistency in their policies shows their true intentions.

When it comes to ventilation systems the upfront costs are a little high. But that’s not why ranges won’t put the best ones in. It’s the maintenance costs. When you tell someone they have to replace filters weekly, I’m making this up, instead of monthly all they see is wasted money. The maintenance schedule on the best systems is a lot more intensive. Not to mention that you’re pulling the space into a negative which draws out the conditioning. So you have to pay more to heat/cool the space. Money is the driving factor but it’s from several different areas.

Boolit Grand Master

We looked into a sprayer system for in front of the back stop on one indoor range. A water mix mist to contain lead dust from the back stop there. A simple filtered system that recirculated the water mix. There is a lot that goes into designing a indoor range. Ventilation should be mostly down range with vents behind shooters, this creates a draw flow pulling every thing down range away from shooters. The water mist on steel plate back stops contains bullet dust whether lead jackets or polymer or fragmented sintered. Lighting needs to be brighter down range than the firing line. This improves clarity and focus. The lower light level allows pupils to dilate more then looking into the brighter target area vision is clearer. A solid floor for secure footing.
    I have head some indoor ranges have went to all "green ammo" only here do to lead concerns. Its their range and their rules.
    As stated above lead contamination also comes from primers along with some other compounds. In burnt powder, powder residues, primer residues, leads all contribute to the "dust" in indoor ranges

Boolit Master
    If I couldn't shoot my hand loads I wouldn't shoot there .

Banned
    I've seen that it's not so much not allowing cast boolits, it's about the lube and the excess smoke.

Boolit Grand Master

Like lightman says, it's up to you if you wanna play by their rules. I went to an indoor range the would not let me shoot my handloads, once and did no shooting. I went to a range that tried to stop me from picking up my brass, just once, never returned. The last range I went to in LA would allow cast lead, and I freely picked up my brass. Twice a year they would shut the range down and clean it up real good, melt and cast the bullets into ingots, and sell the lead to the customers...
    Last edited by mdi; 02-14-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Most indoor ranges prohibit reloads because they don't want to install the type of air filtration needed to take lead out of air. In addition they sell ammo range time is cheap comparable to cost of ammo.

Boolit Master

I've been shooting at the same indoor range for 30yrs.
    They let you shoot std handgun ammo in handguns or pistol caliber rifles. Even shotguns with birdshot.

They used to sell reloads, but now only Factory stuff. Just don't try to pick up more then your own brass. They sweep that out past the shooting line several times a day, more often if It's busy. The fan system has been improved over the years. But the lights stink.

It's only a 50ft range, I can only shoot guns with decent sights there. Such as big adjustable ones, like a S&W Model 14 or 27, or Ruger Blackhawk. Fixed sight guns are pretty much out, unless I want to shoot at 21ft like 90% of the shooters there.

Geez, those people are lousy shots. Two 50 boxes of Ammo and 6 different guns. Targets look like buckshot at 50ft. I walk the line every time I go, hoping to find another Handloader.
    Last edited by Walks; 02-13-2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Auto-correct
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    A lot of indoor ranges prohibit cast because of concern about lead in the air.
    Heard that one too. Which is hilarious, since most of the airborne lead comes from the lead styphnate primers in just about all ammunition sold these days. (And it's close to your face, not downrange where the bullets strike the plate.)
    Last edited by dwtim; 02-13-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Most indoor ranges prohibit reloads because they don't want to install the type of air filtration needed to take lead out of air. In addition they sell ammo range time is cheap comparable to cost of ammo.
    Heard this one, too. Ask them if they allow .22 rimfire. Especially funny if you see that they sell rimfire ammo.

I used to shoot at a range where the owner made up a lot of rules that were not posted anywhere. It was because he wanted visitors to buy his ammo and targets at the counter, but he didn't want to say that point blank. Now when I visit a new range, I show up without guns beforehand, to meet the staff and to ask for a run down of their rules before I spend money at their business. I have no problem if they have a rule that I must use their ammo or targets. Just be honest with the customer, you know?
    Last edited by dwtim; 02-13-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    And did you know that lead melts in the barrel and creates lead gas? smh

Vote with your feet.

Me I would not shoot at a range where I had to buy their ammo.

Boolit Master
    The indoor range near me used to have a strict rule — no lead bullets and no reloads at all. About the middle of the great ammo shortage they changed their policy and allowed it. They were losing too much business during the shortage. They haven’t gone back to banning lead bullets or reloads.

On a side note, my first cast boolits were also my first reloads — Lee wadcutters, alox coated, over 2.7 gr of Bullseye. I couldn’t wait until I could get to the outdoor range to try them, and smuggled them into the indoor range. I was paranoid because I was afraid that the perfectly round holes, the smoke and the smell was giving me away.
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 02-13-2019 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post

On a side note, my first cast boolits were also my first reloads — Lee wadcutters, alox coated, over 2.7 gr of Bullseye. I couldn’t wait until I could get to the outdoor range to try them, and smuggled them into the indoor range. I was paranoid because I was afraid that the perfectly round holes, the smoke and the smell was giving me away.
    I got a real chuckle out of that, thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    Quick story....

Am visiting one of my sons in Raleigh NC.... he takes me to a newish indoor range.I took a 70's Gold cup and a #14 Smith....both with tackdriver CB loads.

Just to be polite,I ask the RO if cast is cool with them. The late 30 sumthin woman says,she'll have to ask? So she goes up to the big cheese RO and asks him if armor piercing ammo is ok.....

This guy comes over and asks me what the heck? I'm like..... huh?

Long story short,cast was fine by them but no armor piercing. But how the question got screwed up is the interesting part. Seems a little "power" and a pea sized brain got their wires crossed. I ended up liking the head honcho,and got into the finer points of indoor ranges(we have one) vent systems and backstops. He just rolled his eyes on the females comments.
    I know the indoor range your talking about. Nice facility I think and they never said anything about my reloads although to be fair I never asked.

The outdoor range I belong to doesn't care if you pick up your brass and take it with you but they want you to leave other peoples brass there which is fair enough I think
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Yeah jonp,it is a nice..... and will go so far to say,well thought out building all things considered (retired builder). Taking private ranges out of the equation..... that place is at one end of the "bar" ...... then you go to the downtown Norfolk indoor range,Bob's IIRC....and they're at the other end.

And positively not knocking on the latter..... it's probably late 60's-70's. And has everything to complete that mental image of what an indoor range is 'sposed to be. Sorta dingey,not enough lighting,the woosh of the old but still cranking vent system.... I love it there,haha. Different strategies, different considerations and construction.

Boolit Master
    The indoor range that I referred to earlier sells RNL and LSWC if you want to buy any to shoot.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Vote with your feet.

Me I would not shoot at a range where I had to buy their ammo.
    There is (was?) a range in downtown LA that would not allow any ammo to be brought in. Ammo had to be purchased there. I think it was a range for a club that for some reason (business license?) had to be open to the public. To discourage any "public" from using the range they came up with impossible rules. I walked in and left within 10 minutes...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    Yeah jonp,it is a nice..... and will go so far to say,well thought out building all things considered (retired builder). Taking private ranges out of the equation..... that place is at one end of the "bar" ...... then you go to the downtown Norfolk indoor range,Bob's IIRC....and they're at the other end.

And positively not knocking on the latter..... it's probably late 60's-70's. And has everything to complete that mental image of what an indoor range is 'sposed to be. Sorta dingey,not enough lighting,the woosh of the old but still cranking vent system.... I love it there,haha. Different strategies, different considerations and construction.
    Couple of ranges in Raleigh like that. At one that was a mile from the house when we moved here a female cop was shooting next to me with her service pistol and kudos to her for practicing! All her shots were "minute of bad guy" that is, within the circle which is good enough in my book. I set up next to her with my Target Masterpiece and proceeded to knock out the 10. She kinda looked at me but Oh Well. I was impressed that she took the time off duty to practice. I wish more cops did that.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

This sounds like the range that would ask to see your tax stamp on your can.

Then would call and hand over all your info to the ATF. If you didn't.

Regardless of how the law reads.

I understand making money. But man some od the bigger fancy ranges are nuts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast