Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it a national law that cast bullets cannot be used in indoor facilities?

Boolit Buddy
    We also have a nice high end range here in Warminster, Pa called The Gaurdian. I want to check it out so after looking at their website I found no reference to cast ammo. I called and asked about using it. Employee response was "cast bullets"? Yes I explained, non jacketed, plain lead, think lead round now 38 special. Wow, no idea of what I was talking about. So when I go I'll just make sure I have jacketed and whatever cast is in my bag.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use an outdoor range. Can shoot anything i want only restriction is full autos on sat morning only. I used to wish they had a longer range than 100 yrds. Seldom use the 100 yrd anymore as i don't want to set up the targets . A big plus is it is only 5 min away. As for being able to buy 22 lr at indoor range . Never thought of t but you got me on that one my god it may be possible i don't know everything no one tell the wife have her convinced i do.

I had talk some years ago with my gunsmith about indoor ranges and the use of cast bullets in it, he said that need to have air filter system set up that will out of the lead in the air for the use of cast more then jacket. He was thinking of to put in indoor range and what would cost to put one in and all.As time went by he did not put one in yet.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I had talk some years ago with my gunsmith about indoor ranges and the use of cast bullets in it, he said that need to have air filter system set up that will out of the lead in the air for the use of cast more then jacket. He was thinking of to put in indoor range and what would cost to put one in and all.As time went by he did not put one in yet.
    Most of the particulate lead in the air near the shooter is caused by the priming compound, cast or jacketed, doesn't matter. Both cast and jacketed will also produce some lead dust at the target backstop area if it is made of steel. Air control is needed in either case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Most of the particulate lead in the air near the shooter is caused by the priming compound, cast or jacketed, doesn't matter. Both cast and jacketed will also produce some lead dust at the target backstop area if it is made of steel. Air control is needed in either case.
    Exactly right! The reason any of the indoor ranges I’ve been to prohibit cast is to make more money selling ammunition. I’ve even been to a range in Kentucky that prohibits steal cased amo ( they didn’t want to have to sort cases for scrap). Like $1.25 a pound for brass case scrap wasn’t enough profit with a little labor sorting cases! Ya gotta remember there a business and they stay open by making money. Unfortunately at our expense!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Looks like the consensus so far on the OP question & topic title, from those who have posted here, is.....

NO.

Some interesting reading about different doins at ranges around the country, etc., though.

I shoot outdoors & on private & public lands, so the restrictions are little to few, with using normal firearm safety practices.
    That doesn't help the OP to answer the questions, but it is a comment for someone to read if they want....
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

The last indoor range I went to in the DFW area waved a magnet over your ammo,
    and they had a ventilator about the size of a deep freezer. They didn't care about cast boolits.

They didn't want people crawling around under the benches collecting their brass,
    but they had a long handled broom for you to reach under and bring it back,
    and they didn't want you to take too many more dustpans full of it than you brought in.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    Took my nephews to new indoor range in Richmond, Va - Winding Brook Indoor range. Beautiful facility, but was told I couldn't use my cast reloads. It wasn't just the rule at that facility, but staff said it was all indoor ranges. It's been a while since I was at a different range, but I smelled b.s. but I didn't make an issue of it. I was there to have fun with my nephews.
    As far as I know, that is **. They do not allow lead bullets mostly due to smoke. Not unlike some ranges denying your reloads, its so you buy their ammo.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    All indoor public ranges require proper ventilation per OSHA. What ammo/bullets you use is really not an issue.

Boolit Master
    It's OHSA .... and range insurance company lawyers "common sense" rules. Neither (university educated) group knows diddly about much and practically nothing at all about firearms or ammunition but they "know" about lead bullets. Questions about primers or backstop splatters are rarely addressed by them.

It's unfair to condemn businesses about staff dummies; they have to hire help as it's available. Not many commercial shooting ranges, gunshops, sports shops, etc., are staffed with knowlegable people because few such people apply for the jobs.

Was able to find a range here in New Orleans where I have been visiting my aunt last week.

Nice folks, no problems, fill out the online waiver, I set my box of .32sw long ammo with the cast bullets pointed up on the counter. "You folks going to have any problem with me shooting this?"

Nope, none at all, have fun.

And I did.

For NOLA residents, Harahan, west side of New Orleans, Hickory street, follow it south till it ends and your there.

Thank you bobby Lee for the tip.

Not my best day of shooting but far from my worst.

One range I shoot at is an outdoor range with pistol/rifle/shotgun ranges...
    In the pistol range, they found a large chunk of revolver cylinder embedded in the wall.
    Nobody was killed; nobody claimed the chunk...
    I am assuming that nobody was hurt, but I can imagine it was exciting.
    I can imagine that some ranges don't want to deal with reloading "accidents".
    WWG1WGA

The main indoor range I shoot at doesn't care as long as the ammo is not metallic or specifically Wolf.
    I did go there a while back with my redhawk and full house W296 rounds. When I went to check out, the guy asked what I was shooting. I looked at him and said "44 Magnum"."
    He said there was no way it had to have been 454 casul or something bigger...
    I asked him if he wanted to shoot it, but he declined.
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    The main indoor range I shoot at doesn't care as long as the ammo is not metallic or specifically Wolf.
    I did go there a while back with my redhawk and full house W296 rounds. When I went to check out, the guy asked what I was shooting. I looked at him and said "44 Magnum"."
    He said there was no way it had to have been 454 casul or something bigger...
    I asked him if he wanted to shoot it, but he declined.
    HA! Size does matter. Shoot full loads in a 3"-4" 44mag, it sounds like a 40mm cannon going off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    The new indoor range that I belong to does not allow any lead bullets, cast, swaged, coated hand cast or factory loads. It lets some shooters out of the game because older rounds such as 32 S&W, 32-20, are only loaded factory with soft lead bullet. They do allow hand loaded jacketed and plated however, they would really like to disallow hand loaded ammunition. Such is the world today with too many lawyers with not enough to do.
    I would run not walk to a newer range

Boolit Master

It's things like this that make me very glad I belong to a private club.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    No its not a law the same guy that owns windingbrook owns blue ridge arsenal in chantilly and has a bad habit of making up stupid rules that he claims are laws. His idea is if I don't let you use your ammo then you will have to buy mine. I shoot at the NRA range in fairfax once in a while and the only ammo they don't allow is tracer,steel core, and bird shot because the shot clogs up the system.

Boolit Master

The indoor ranges I frequent won't allow armor piercing or steel core ammo. Cast lead and PC are fine as well as reloads. They do have very expensive air filtration and lead dust collection systems. They sell range ammo which you have to purchase if you rent their firearms, all of which makes sense to me. I've seen double charge and squibs reloads, squib factory loads and short COL factory loads, one of which blew up a shooter's Pistol. Anything can happen and sooner or later it will.

Boolit Master
    It's called a big fat lie.

There is a store around here which, 2 months ago, stopped providing customers with a bag to put their purchased goods in.

When I recently asked about it they said "it's a new state law, we cannot provide bags anymore",
    to which I responded "that's really interesting, because all the other 100's of stores in the area still give you a bag".
    She came back with, "oh, well, the state is considering banning bags, and we are just being pro-active",
    to which I replied, "occasionally cortex is want to make the government give people everything they want for free,
    so why don't you start giving all your goods away for free and be ahead of the curve?"

Curiously, she had no response
    Last edited by edp2k; 03-07-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Don’t ask don’t tell! Of course at my range on my property it isn’t a problem. I haven’t been to an indoor range in months. Last time I went I was out of town, and my GF wanted to shoot her new gun.
    luvtn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123