Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 32 - 40 lead cast bullets

Boolit Mold

32 - 40 lead cast bullets

hello fellas , I am going to purchase some .321- 32 - 40, 170 gr. lead cast , non gas check, flat nose projectiles , plain lead , no powder coat , from Missouri bullet works as I do not have a mold for these . my question to you folks is this - at what velocities should I use for a cut off point for these projectiles . My goal is to have some cartridges on hand for the occasional show and tell moments and to fire a couple on those occasions , I would like them to be at or around " period " velocities so as I do not get any leading and or harm my firearm. I know powder coat would probably be better for a new guy in the cast world , but I would like the old all lead look . If anyone could nudge me in the right direction , I would appreciate it . Thanks !

Hello hooterville,

I've reloaded 32-40 for an old Marlin 1893. I used both John Wayne and 30-30 cases. The 30-30 case will be a little short, but I used the RCBS 32-170 gas check bullet and the crimp groove is lower than the original 32-40 bullet. You will need to watch OAL so it doesn't get to long on you. Check out this post, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...30-30-to-32-40

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I got started in Schuetzen nearly 30 years ago, I settled on IMR 4759 with whichever plain base lead alloy bullet I was shooting (per ASSRA rules) and adjusted my charges slightly according to bullet weight. With my original Winchester high wall and another rebarreled with a Green Mtn barrel, I found that charges of about 13.2-13.6 gr worked well with bullets from 165-200 gr weights. Sadly, 4759 is long discontinued, but I got similar results with 4227, but I don’t have my logbook handy with charges.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Behind the Lyman 165 grain plain base flat nose, I use 21 grain H4895 for just under 1400 fps; wheelweight alloy, size diameter of .321". Strangely, in my notes, I have four other powders listed, but SR 4759 is not one of them. I may have to try it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    Behind the Lyman 165 grain plain base flat nose, I use 21 grain H4895 for just under 1400 fps; wheelweight alloy, size diameter of .321". Strangely, in my notes, I have four other powders listed, but SR 4759 is not one of them. I may have to try it.
    IMR 4759 was super popular for many years with the Schuetzen crowd, but it has been discontinued at least twice because it was produced in old mills and was difficult to produce. I've heard rumors somebody is trying to revive it once again, but nothing solid. If I didn't have 10-15 pounds of it stashed, I wouldn't put forth effort to find it and develop loads when I couldn't depend on a supply.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have a good supply of 4759 including an unopened keg, but, I can't buy into the unsubstantiated reports that accurate 4759 loads can't be replicated with another powder. We have a glut of all kinds of powders today, probably more than anyone "needs". It would take some work to develop loads, but that's what this game is about for many handloaders. I've used 4759 for a long time, but I think the 4759 crowd is indeed a very small one.

Boolit Master
    You didn't mention if the boolits were lubed. If they are not I'd suggest Ben's liquid lube as it's nearly invisible and works very well. Don't have a .32-40 but do have a .32 Win. Spec. and use the gas checked RCBS mould boolit in it. You might try 14-15 grains of Re-7 under your plainbase design. I used 17 gr of Re-7 under a plainbase design in .30-30 with excellent accuracy with relatively low velocity similar to .32-40 loads.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!