Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Windage adjustment on peep sight?

Windage adjustment on peep sight?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4281.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	235894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4282.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	235895
    Hello all, I'm fooling about with a Marble's peep sight off an 1894, trying to understand its workings. Elevation adjustment seems straightforward enough, but I'm not seeing any provision for windage. In fact, it almost seems the whole body of the object naturally prevents any side-to side movement. Any insight (pun not intended)? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Drift the Front sight for windage zero. Does not appear that tang has any windage adj. The target style tangs do incorporate windage.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

The old Lyman advice was to put a paper shim under one side of the sight base to tilt it for windage. I am not comfortable with that, since I think it would invite rust.

You know those little white plastic loss prevention stick ons that you find on many store products? Inside those are one or two stainless steel bits that measure one or two thousandths thick. I've been cracking them open and have collected a pill bottle full of those delightful little shims, perfect for tang sight adjustment. Unfortunately, Amazon products do not come with them.

Signed, Heloise

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Drift the Front sight for windage zero. Does not appear that tang has any windage adj. The target style tangs do incorporate windage.
    yep - bash the front sight is the deal - marbles new improved tang sight has windage adjustment - and a detachable stem (upright) - these old ones look more sturdy though.

I have an old Winchester with an old Lyman tang sight and used one or two thicknesses of aluminum foil to get the windage I needed.

Boolit Buddy
    The seal's from a can ( plastic ) of new coffee ,, makes great shims , won't rust ,it's alum.

coffee's ready,, Hootmix.

Boolit Grand Master

Tilting the sight is not a good idea unless you are sighting for one range and not changing it. Otherwise as you elevate you drift the windage. Use the front sight for windage if you can. The sight you have is not made for windage adjustment, also make sure it is for the rifle you want t put it on as a difference in tang angle will give you a tilted staff and make it hard to look through.

Boolit Master
    Most tang sights do not have a windage adjustment, drifting the front sight is the deal. Some of the black powder suppliers make windage adjustable front sights, maybe some of the military long range shooters too. There are a few windage adjustable tang sights, mostly Lyman, hard to find and the collectors have run up the price. I have one for a Savage 99, probably around for the Win 94.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Tilting the sight is not a good idea unless you are sighting for one range and not changing it. Otherwise as you elevate you drift the windage. Use the front sight for windage if you can. The sight you have is not made for windage adjustment, also make sure it is for the rifle you want t put it on as a difference in tang angle will give you a tilted staff and make it hard to look through.
    They used to make some cheap tang sights that would tilt for windage and were a real PITA to sight in as you would get the height then the windage would change. When you would then adjust the windage the height would also change. Far better to adjust the front sight on a level tang sight. Where one has a combination open sight and tang for longer range the open sight can then be drifted to match the front sight.

DEP

DEP

ALL current marbles tang sights are windage adjustable. They are expensive but very practical if you are shooting a variety of different loads

Use a reciever sight instead

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Just took a look at a couple of 'recent' Marble's tang sights I bought a few years back for my 99's(not on rifles yet), they do in fact have windage adjustments. I got concerned about tang sights after reading a story of a lady damaging her eye when shooting uphill in steep country with a 300 Savage, not much eyewear back then. On the older 94's, some were not drilled/tapped for a receiver sight. The current Marble's tang sight should work but check hole spacing. A receiver sight is a usually a more rugged and stable sight if your rifle has the holes. The current price on the Marble's tang sights is $125 plus/minus at Marble's, MidwayUSA, Brownell's. Mostly the older tang sights don't have windage.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    You know those little white plastic loss prevention stick ons that you find on many store products? Inside those are one or two stainless steel bits that measure one or two thousandths thick. I've been cracking them open and have collected a pill bottle full of those delightful little shims, perfect for tang sight adjustment.
    Bingo! Those little strips are great. I think of them as a free packet of .001" shims included with some overpriced gadgets.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

FWIW, I have long (45+ years) used a BCS (beer can shim) under one side or the other of the sight base to adjust for windage - then camo any exposed portion of the shim with a black SHARPIE.

However, if the tanger is aligned with the bore, no windage adjustment may be needed.

The reason no windage adjustment was built into the older tang sights is that most of the time only elevation needs to be changed for shooting at different long/short ranges.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride