Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This will ruin anybody’s day!

Moderator Emeritus

I witnessed/was there for two different revolver explosions -- both attributed to toooooo much powder in handloads. Neither had threaded barrel end even closely resembling this one! Two questions immediately come to my mind: 1/ Was factory-recommended commercial ammunition employed? and, 2/ Is this the only similar recorded failure of this model firearm? Seems to me my latter query is most germane -- e.g., it did not take that many low-serial-number (poor heat treatment) Springfield's before the word got out re this manufacture defect. With quite the bulk of purchase price on current firearms purportedly going to their legal department, it seems to me each firearm would be test fired? (Also, if nothing else, to supply the mandated fired-empty case.)
    I just pray this doesn't occur to anyone again. Re the 2nd blow-up at range, it was a .357 Mag, and one thing not mentioned was the NOISE level -- albeit we were all wearing muffs, I recall actually having ringing in ears for a bit after...

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for letting us know the guy was OK! I clicked on the video and cringed, and backed out! Now that I know he’s alright, I’ll watch it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    And what are the chances that it woukd be captured on video?
    I know, right?!?!? I'd seen this a long time ago and thought the same thing then.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Could this be the joys of hot �� loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Holy ****!!!!! God was watching over them for sure!! Glad nobody way hurt ,or killed!
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

That dude has "follow through" down pat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I'm no more qualified than anyone, but I think it's safe to say an obstruction or over pressure ammo is not the issue here.

As much as I love Ruger, and dislike what Smith and Wesson has become, I seem to remember this exact problem that effected a run of either the Redhawk or Super Redhawk. Either the threads were bad, or the barrels were over torqued.

It looks like so many people in the comments immediately blame the operator, without any clue how a revolver works. They all jump on the "guy didn't line up the cylinder after closing" bandwagon. The Cylinder turned when he cocked the hammer, it wasn't the guys fault. That's even if the gun could fire, which we know it can't. If timing is the problem here, responsibility is with the S&W, not with the shooter.

Now he gets to start the uphill battle that is S&W customer service. At least he has a box of Remington ammo in the video, so they can't just write him off as another crazy handloader.

Boolit Grand Master

**** J-word boolits...He should have stuck to cast!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Apparently this happened at a Calgary, Ab. range some time ago, and involved a rental revolver using factory ammunition.
    The range owner reported that it resulted from a split forcing cone.
    A couple of actual quotes from the range owner:-
    Actually the revolver had approx 1200 rounds through it.
    plus
    The best line ever though, after this happened was, as the shooter puts down the frame, he turns and asks the RO.....
    "Was that supposed to happen?"

The only 2 things injured in this incident is the S&W revolver and their pride.

Boolit Mold
    Kudos to the young man keeping it together and pointed down range. Especially if that was his first time shooting as captioned.

Boolit Master
    Split forcing cone, you say? Sounds like what was old is new again. Let's hear it from the owners of all the M-19s that split a forcing cone or frame! I'll start with a vote of experience from a split frame at the 6:00 position directly south of the barrel. Sent the revolver to S&W and they returned it to me with a replacement frame installed, even wearing the same serial number as the one they kept. That was in the early 70's.

Boolit Master

Everything has a limit, all things come to an end.

Good thing he wasn't shooting at a charging grizzly bear.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I bet that guy has a flinch he will never cure. Glad he still has his hands and face could have been much worse. Regards Stephen
    The way he fiddled with his grip says newbie to me, but he didn’t flinch and he kept the gun... what was left of it anyway... pointed downrange.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12