Lee PrecisionGraf & SonsWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox

Thread: Separate Range scrap?

Boolit Mold

Separate Range scrap?

Does anyone pick through range scrap and separate jacketed bullets from cast bullets?
    I was thinking it would be a good idea and that you could probably just use the cast bullet lead as is to poor new bullets.
    That is until I started doing it, its a bit of a time eater LOL

Boolit Master
    Copper won't melt until nearly 2000 degrees F. Just scoop the jackets out with your dross.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just dump it all in my 100lb smelter and like trails4u said, scoop the jackets out with the dross. I sell the jackets to the local recycler when I get bucket full.

Boolit Master
    Jacketed bullet lead SEEMS to be softer after melting than lead boolits do. But that deing said, i just melt them all together.

Boolit Buddy
    I've read here of berm miners hitting "lodes" of cast boolits in their digs because the shooters at their range use a lot of them and/or shoot into a specific spot. I've read here that the cores of jacketed slugs tend to be a softer lead than cast, since the jacket provides the needed hardness, so that separating one from the other can give you alloys of different hardness.

Whether it's worth the time and effort must be a matter what gets shot into the berm (a great predominance of one or the other might make it easier) and where, and what it's worth to the miner. In my case, my club has too much of a mix for me to go to the trouble.

I don't separate mine. I do take a pair of side cutters and nip the nose off the jacketed ones so that they will melt and run out easier. Scoop the jackets off when they float up and make my ingots.

Boolit Master
    I tried sorting the jacketed from cast and lost interest real quick, but I ended up with some 400 Kilograms of lead ingots that were fine for my use. I plan to mine the berms at my club again when it cools down some, I being an older member can remember where the old disused berms were which contain mostly high lino content lead and very little jacketed. Who said being old don't have its advantages. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy

Most of the range lead I get is jacketed bullets of some sort. My brother on the OKC area is able to get lead fairly quick and easy. I see very little cast in the mix.
    I do have to make sure the FMJ's are cut open or cracked open to get the lead out. I generally treat the stuff as almost pure. It usually test some where between
    8 & 9 on a Cabine Tree tester. I still have 200 or 300# I haven't processed. I need to us up what I have already have in ingots.

Boolit Buddy
    I was hoping this was about an easier way to get all the rocks and trash out without having to pick it all out slowly....

Jacket from cast - I did that once..... It made a super slow process even slower - as melting down range scrap is super time consuming as it is....

Boolit Master
    Most of the 45 auto shooters used a 230 grain round nosed hard cast bullet and when mining the berm with a rake,shovel and screen loaded into 5 gallon buckets. Couldn't fill them full as it was a real pain to get them in the truck. Come smelting time would dump a bucket at a time and separate all those 45 auto bullets and do them separately. The ingots would go into a separate bucket and marked with a magic marker.
    Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Who said being old don't have its advantages.
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

I just melt it all together. Stir it a few times and all the jackets float to the top.
    Everyone can learn from their mistakes. However; it's less painful, and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of others.

In our modern, and enlightened age: The only thing the meek shall inherit, is a berqua.

Boolit Master

I never separated mine, just smelted it all together. My range had a lot of bullseye shooters and the scrap contained a high % of cast with a small mix of jacketed and 22 rimfire. Smelted together, it made a decent alloy. A lot of it got caked into a mass where the bottom and backing plates came together in the trap and separating it would have been impossible.