RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Shield .45 cast loads

Boolit Mold

Shield .45 cast loads

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is using a WFN load in their Shield. If you are, I would appreciate if you would share what mold and how it performs in the gun. Not looking for a real hunting load...just a good penetrating load. Thanks

Cloverdale, the Shield 45 is my favorite carry gun. I added the Apex Duty Trigger kit and will get a roundtoit on night sights soon.
    I bounce around on loads but have several favorites. The RCBS 45-230 CM is the one mould I wouldn’t give up, and I load it over 6.0 gr. Unique. I also like the custom BD45 now available from several makers over the same charge.
    Lighter favorites include the SAECO 58 and the Lee 432-200 using the same 6.0 gr. charge or a little more if I am feeling adventurous. I recently broke out the LBT 45-200 FN I have used in several 1911s. Just getting started with that one in the Shield.
    I am planning some penetration tests this spring using heavier than traditional bullets in the 45 ACP. I suspect the BD 45 or RCBS will be the champions of the 230 grain bullets.
    My loads could be heavier but I am happy with them.
    Tony

BTW, let me know if you would like some samples. You pay postage only.

Boolit Master

I love my Shield .45, but then I'm a sucker for any .45. Mine likes the Lyman/Keith 452424 (255 grains) over 4.7 grains of Universal Clays. Eats 'em like ball.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

We love our shields and they are our carry guns most days. With some fiddling they both shoot cast fine but my carry is always factory outside of revolvers.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I use the RCBS 45-201-SWC over 6.0 of Unique for my do-all load not only in my Shield, but in my full size M&P and several 1911's This combo feeds well in them all and at 850-875 FS gets the job done just fine.