Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Light Replacement

Banned

Kitchen Light Replacement

The two tube 48" T8 fixture over my kitchen sink died. The ballast went bad and the cost of a new ballast is about 3/4 the cost of a new fixture, plus more work to swap out the ballast. So, I'm not keen on replacing the ballast. (I checked the ballast - no output and bulbs work in another fixture)

My options seem to be: Just get another 48" twin tube T8 fixture for about $25.00
    OR
    An equivalent LED fixture than puts out a little more light but costs $125.00

I don't want any less light output than I currently have and I don't want the heat from an incandescent fixture.

The existing fixture lasted 17 years, so that's a pretty good lifespan for a utility light that gets used a lot.

Am I missing another option?
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-12-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Master

I would replace it with what you have.
    The LED bulbs will begin to dim in a year or less and will get dimmer with each passing year. But, they are cheap to operate.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure where you priced the $125.00 fixture ,but check amazon they have numerous two tube 48" led fixtures for way less than half that figure.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think walmart has them for around $25-$30

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Not sure where you priced the $125.00 fixture ,but check amazon they have numerous two tube 48" led fixtures for way less than half that figure.
    /\ Lowes /\

Boolit Master

I can't speak with specifics on kitchen lighting but will make a general observation or two. First of all the existing lighting footprint (can light, incandescent, 4' florescent, etc) will be tons easier to retrofit than switching to another type of fixture. With that in mind it would seem that going back with a two tube 48" fixture would be the more economical, quickest, & easiest thing to do. It does seem logical in view of the current LED market that replacing the older, outdated T8 tubes with LED tubes would be beneficial. You have the option of going with a lamp that requires a ballast and possibly rewiring your existing fixture to work with the new LED tubes. New LED tubes without ballasts are also a possibility. It is likely that the end sockets (tombstones) will work with the new LEDs. Or you could rewire the fixture for LED tubes that do require a ballast. I also assume you can purchase a whole new fixture set up for LEDs. Your cost of $125 seems a like too much based on what I have seen at the Menards in our area. If it were me I'd go to Menards and look at their selection and also look at the fixtures they have hooked up and see for yourself if the light color/output would work for you.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned
    Smoked Turkey, thanks for the observations.
    No such thing as a Menards in this part of the world.
    I could order something from Amazon or some other on-line source but I'd sort of like to get this project knocked out in the next day or two.

The easiest solution is to just buy another two tube 48" fixture and swap them out. I have considered attempting to repair/retrofit the old fixture after I remove it so that I have a spare.
    I currently have a large halogen fixture over my loading bench which makes wonderful light but also a lot of heat. Not to mention the power it consumes. So, maybe what I should do is to take some time and repair the old kitchen fixture and keep it on hand for when the loading bench light fails.

Boolit Master

You could replace it with a normal bulb socket fixture and then use an LED floodlight there. They put off a lot of light and are not that expensive at Lowe's or Home Depot. Of course, since you already have the hardware for hanging a similar T8 fixture, your first option seems most logical to me. I've replaced plenty of ballasts and never had a problem with the task. Not hard at all with the fixture on the bench. Again, I've gotten them from Lowe's or Home Depot. Amazon has a good selection of them. If you are a Prime member, free shipping.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

I've got a couple of old 4" florescent fixtures that I just replaced the bulbs with. New bulbs are marked "T8 LED Tube Light ". Totally bypassed the ballast, wired the black wire to one end, and the white to the other. Straight 110 volts going through the bulbs. These new bulbs give twice the light at half the power. Unbelievable how bright everything is. Easy fix for your situation.

Boolit Master

I just replaced a two bulb florescent fixture like yours with a 48 inch LED fixture for less than $40 from Wholesale Electric, a local electrical supplier. It is brighter and the light is whiter. I'm WELL pleased with it!

Boolit Master
    Sunco lighting amazon 4 pack LED shop light 4500 lumens day light white. $100.00

Boolit Buddy

I also replaced my 48" lights with LED tubes. Minor rewiring to cut out the ballast and the wife thought we would need sunscreen because of how much brighter the new lights were. As I recall I got the tubes from Home Depot for about $18 each.
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Boolit Master

If your fixture looks okay just change to a new solid state ballast or look at converting it to LED internals. Otherwise find something nice and go for it.

Boolit Master
    I just converted a 4ft florescent light to direct wire LED, cut out the ballast and wire as directed from the bulb manufacturer. Some wire one on either side some wire both to one side but one to each tab. 15 min. job and you can do it in place.

Boolit Buddy
    When I remodeled my brothers house we used a LED fixture. The improvement in bright light is great. Lowes!!!

Boolit Master

Our church is in the process of changing over from 4' florescent lighting to LED as the ballasts die. We have been able to use the old fixture and just re-wire them without the ballast. The LED bulbs fit in the old sockets. We were given the wiring instructions from our power company.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Vendor Sponsor

I switched my entire house over to LED when I moved here, I can definitely tell it when the bill comes and it's surprisingly affordable.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

definately go LED. cheaper to run, less heat, and they lose brightness/color wayyyy slower than flourescent bulbs do. flourescents start losing brightness and start yellowing from the first second you turn one on.

Boolit Master
    Had the same problem had the ballast removed then had the fixture rewired.
    The LED lights are amazingly bright.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    I've got a couple of old 4" florescent fixtures that I just replaced the bulbs with. New bulbs are marked "T8 LED Tube Light ". Totally bypassed the ballast, wired the black wire to one end, and the white to the other. Straight 110 volts going through the bulbs. These new bulbs give twice the light at half the power. Unbelievable how bright everything is. Easy fix for your situation.
    This is what my son just did to his den, the previous owner had two, 2 bulb fluorescents in there and the LEDs are so much better in that room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast