Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Views on best priming system?

Another RCBS bench primer fan but definitely send you worn handprimer to RCBS for a new backup.

Boolit Master
    Used the Lee round tray tool since 82 have one for small one for large and got another as a spare .tried a friends bench Lee might get one .

I put the follower in when I start, if I don't, I'll figure out that I forgot to put it in when it spits out the last primer or 3 because of not enough weight on the stack.

Dang Geezer memory.

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I prefer the RCBS bench mounted primer as well.I have thought about making followers for the primer tube.It's only needed near the end of a loaded tube though.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    RCBS bench mounted priming system.............

Winelover
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Vote 2 for the RCBS bench primer.

But it does need a follower on top of the primers. I use the primer follower from one of Dillon's.

Just a little disconcerting with the rod whipping back and forth, especially with a full tube of primers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I use the RCBS bench primer for rifle and all pistol ammo is done on the 550.
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    RCBS bench mounted for any and all ,unless pistol stuff in the Lee 1000 or Star
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    The RCBS bench mounted for me. Been using mine for decades.

gmsharps
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I prefer the RCBS bench mounted primer as well.I have thought about making followers for the primer tube.It's only needed near the end of a loaded tube though.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    RCBS bench primer. Been using one since the late 70's.
    RCBS Bench Mount and never look back until someone asks about the best priming system again...then you tell them, RCBS bench mounted.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Another fan of the Lee Auto-Prime II. My favorite. Only thing wrong is it is not available anymore. Buy them when I see them for sale. Every time I talk to Lee I mention that they should bring it back.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    RCBS hand held, a new one, with the green plastic trays, and still have my old Lee hand held ones with the round trays. RL 550 B for big runs of pistol, SDB’s for more pistol calibers,single stage the hunting rounds.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned
    I have several RCBS hand primers, but --- time is not being kind so I'm watching for a bench mounted one.

I'm not saying they haven't been well used, both have rubber bands keeping the primer tray in tight
    Last edited by Conditor22; 02-17-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    The RCBS bench mounted for me. Been using mine for decades.

gmsharps
    Same for me , I prefer to prime on the press but when I don’t I use the RCBS.
    If I bought now I would try the lee bench mount easier to fill and have heard good reports on it.

Boolit Master
    I love my Lee Loadmaster primer system. Keeps me honest.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Lyman AA press and hand set the primers. It never fails.

Boolit Buddy
    After using the press-mounted priming unit, then determining that the handheld was the way to go. Once I purchased and used the RCBS bench priming system it is what I recommend to any fellow reloader or friend.

Boolit Master
    RCBS handheld is my primary tool. I have two of the ones that use standard shell holders and have trays. One for large and the other set up for small.

Once upon a time I used the early Lee handheld until it broke.

I then bought the Forester Coax tool, too fussy!

Then came the RCBS handheld.

I augment the hand held with the RCBS bench tool that is a “single stage” copy of the Lachmyer tool. RCBS called it their Standard tool. It is the one with a cam and also uses standard shell holders.

I have also inherited a Lee handheld like I started with way back when. It sits and draws dust.

Out of curiosity I picked up a Lee Ram Prime and it works as well.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    Another fan of the Lee Auto-Prime II. My favorite. Only thing wrong is it is not available anymore. Buy them when I see them for sale.

swamp
    My favorite also. I use RCBS plastic bushings in bottom of shell holders, fit like was made for them, and the thing is 100%. I do not remember a mis-placed primer since started using the bushings for the last 10 years or so. Prime all rifle brass on it and do all pistol on progressive. (except maybe a handful for test loads) The primer chutes are still available, Pro 1000s are the same.

Had/have every Lee hand held, new Lee bench one, RCBS hand held and bench mount. They all work and had best success with Lee hand and bench types other than the Auto Prime II which is flawless, simple and easy.

GD
    #2 member of the 10%ers

Boolit Grand Master

I hate priming off press. I find it a big waste of time. I realize everyone loads differently. I don’t sit down at the TV and prime cases like a lot seem to do. Cases are either primed on a 550B or w/ a Lee Safety Prime. The safety prime is my favorite because you dump the primers into the tray, shake a little bit and you’re ready to prime. I have pre-primed cases in the past and ran them on the press and used the safety prime.

I have a bunch of hand held primers. RCBS, hate it. Lee Auto Prime XR square tray, hate it. Lee Ergo Prime square tray, hate it. Old Lee hand primer, forget the name, round tray. I actually like that one. I have a bunch of spare trays and need to modify them and turn them into Dillon primer tube fillers. The one that works the best is an original Lee hand primer w/ screw in shell holders. Consistent seating depth and little effort. Handling every primer is the downside.

I’ve had the Lee bench primer in my cart since they first came out. One day I will order one. I don’t like the folding trays they’re putting on everything. The round trays were the best. It’s why I bought a bunch of hand primers and safety primes. Figure it’s better to have spares on hand.

Thanks to all for all the interesting responses and for the host of information contained in them. RCBS has the repair parts on the way for my hand primer, along with some updated primer rods. I wasn't real sure on the differences in the rods when talking to the tech on the phone but will report back when I have them in hand. I also received the bench mounted RCBS tool and have used it to prime 100 9mm cases so far. There will be a learning curve as there is with any new tool, but I think I will like it very much. I can see why so many of you guys like the tool.
    Tony

Just keep the hole and priming punch clean...lube it with dry graphite and if at some point it flips a primer from the punch collar the punch and hole need cleaning and relubing. Watch that the punch is screwed together tight...the punch itself screws into the bottom rod holding the collar and spring in place.

happy priming
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I don’t like the folding trays they’re putting on everything. The round trays were the best. It’s why I bought a bunch of hand primers and safety primes. Figure it’s better to have spares on hand.
    The round trays work on every one of the "new" primers which are supposed to use folding trays I have tried. Work fine.

GD
    #2 member of the 10%ers

Most of my priming is done on The Dillon's, a small amount is done on the RCBS bench primer. Very well constructed and works flawlessly.Well worth the price of admission.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Like others I've used the hand held ones with the older round tray Lee my favorite. They're all busted now, used the trays to make tube fillers. Arthritis led me to a RCBS bench prime that works fine. All pistol stuff is done on progressives now mostly a D1050. I found a Ponsness/Warren Metalmatic II last year and got it cleaned up, it has the older priming system and it works like a champ with the old Lyman brass tubes. I use it for small lots of rifle loads and have found it very handy.
    Sorry for sliding off topic a bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123