Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Views on best priming system?

Prime on the press on my 2 Dillon 550s and 2 Lyman T2s and use 2 old lee auto primes for rifle rounds, one set up for large rifle and one for small rifle. But I don’t reload much rifle.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Another vote for old lee auto prime. If it ain't broke don't fix it

In Remembrance

I use the LEE hand primer tool when I'm loading single stage but before that I loaded a lot of rounds with my LEE Auto Prime ll which was the first priming tool I had.
    I also have the RCBS hand primer tool, I haven't used it since I put the set screw in it for priming Berdan cases, that way I don't have to change the setting, I just grab the LEE.

Boolit Master
    Vote 6 or 7 for the RCBS bench mounted system.

I went past it this morning but now you have a number of answers you were looking for.

This comment made me wonder.

I seated them more fully using the 550 but don’t want to go that route for all primers.
    If it works, is faster than other methods and you already have it, why do you not want to utilize it?

Boolit Master
    For 223, 9mm, and 380, I prime on the 550. For 38 special and 270 I use an RCBS hand primer because I load those on a single stage Lyman. As jmorris asked, why not prime on the 550? It is absolutely the fastest and most accurate of the two systems I use.

Jmorris, most of my loading is done 50 rounds at a time with a lot of caliber changes and swapping out the Dillon shell plates takes a little time. Not a lot of time, but more than just adding the right shell holder and priming rod. Another thing is that the Dillon feels like work compared to the more relaxed single stage loading. That said, I would agree with anyone who thought my problem was a nice one to have!

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Vote 6 or 7 for the RCBS bench mounted system.
    Another vote from me!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Jmorris, most of my loading is done 50 rounds at a time with a lot of caliber changes and swapping out the Dillon shell plates takes a little time. Not a lot of time, but more than just adding the right shell holder and priming rod. Another thing is that the Dillon feels like work compared to the more relaxed single stage loading. That said, I would agree with anyone who thought my problem was a nice one to have!
    Ah, I understand now. Hard to use the 550 priming system when you are loading with a different press.

I have a couple of the older Lee hand priming tools and an RCBS hand primer.

I’ll get a Forster bench tool and/or an RCBS bench tool when I come across the right deal. Would like to see how the APS one works, as I have gallons of the strips but I also have tube fillers. Not really a need as like you I do fairly small batches if I’m not using a progressive.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have been using the bench mounted APS system from RCBS for many years.
    I am on about my 10th or 12th set of strips and I can't remember how many sets of large and small plastic bushing inserts.
    They just eventually wear out...but it takes many thousands of rounds to wear them out.

I am now priming .45ACP and .357Mag brass on my Hornady LnL presses. That system works very well on my two LnLs... I have one set up for small primer and one for large primers.
    Still considering getting a Dillon 550 or 650 to see how I like it.
    The way things are going with the Hornady LnLs, I may transition all my handgun reloading over to them eventually unless I get a Dillon.
    Probably still load most rifle cartridges on my RockChucker, though. Only exception would be .223 for the ARs.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    . What tools do you guys recommend?
    Tony
    In all honesty, I use the one built into the press which included the one on the Lee Pro1000.

Boolit Master

I prime on the press.

Boolit Master
    Going back to the first post, I was having issues loading .44 mag on my DillonSDB2. Called Dillon and they sent me a new insert for the large primers and it fixed the problem.

When loading on the Rock Chucker, I use an RCBS bench mount automatic primer, not the APS. I have an APS and it has been spoken for by a friend. After he uses it for a while, I probably will be missing a friend.

I used to have a Lee hand primer. Someone borrowed it and did me a favor by not returning it. Don't remember who, but they really did me a favor. Haven't primed on the Rock Chucker for many years. The bench mount was one of the best purchases I've made.

Boolit Buddy
    Old Lee Autoprimes here also, one Large primer, one Small primer, still use them
    to this day, picked up a few on "Fleabay" (Ebay) as backups, no issues in 1,000's
    of rounds, only problem is the trays turned color, other than that good, also have
    the RCBS universal primer but it doesn't see much use. Choose what works for you.

-Rock

Boolit Master

RCBS Hand Priming Tool, both the old "single stage" and the one with the primer tray. I also have the ancient bench mounted STD Priming Tool, which is "single stage" and the Bench Priming Tool that uses the same primer feed tubes as all other RCBS Primer Tube feed systems.

I wore out 2 Lee hand primers, kept them properly lubed too.

43yrs reloading on my own. Starting my reloading experience in my Family's garage at 3yrs old. RCBS all the way.
    My DAD used a LACHMILLER single stage priming tool, bench mounted. Which morphed into the RCBS tool when they bought out OHAUS/LACHMILLER.

And I started priming cases at 4yrs old with a Lyman 310 tong tool.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I use a hammer and just lightly tap the primer in place.

Well that's what it feels like priming on a load master.

Lee bench prime. Is the nice fast and easy to load tray

Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    Another vote from me!
    And one from me, for the RCBS bench tool
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Rcbs hand primer for all rifle brass, my stars, prime on press auto fed. 44 's my CH has a great primer system on press.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    RCBS bench mounted priming system.............

Winelover

For hand priming, this has always been my favorite, however, I typically use my rcbs hand primer as I can prime cases while catching up on news or tv shows.

Boolit Master
    I also have both of the RCBS hand primers............OP asked for the best system. I use the hand primers for small batches. The one with the universal shellholder occasionally balks. I picked up that one because it was a PITA, constantly having to switch over from small to large primers or visa versa. Now I keep one, set up for small primers and the other for large.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast