WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Views on best priming system?

Views on best priming system?

I have been using the RCBS hand primer for many years and think I have finally worn it out. Primed some 44 Specials today and couldn’t get the primers seated deeply enough to keep cases from dragging when the cylinder rotated. I seated them more fully using the 550 but don’t want to go that route for all primers. What tools do you guys recommend?
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

RCBS prime tool

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    I have been using the RCBS hand primer for many years and think I have finally worn it out. Primed some 44 Specials today and couldn’t get the primers seated deeply enough to keep cases from dragging when the cylinder rotated. I seated them more fully using the 550 but don’t want to go that route for all primers. What tools do you guys recommend?
    Tony
    Call or email RCBS. They will send you a new one. Best customer service I know of.

Boolit Master
    I once made a mistake trying to put large rifle primers in 44 brass with a lee hand held primer .

Boolit Master
    RCBS bench mounted priming system.............

Winelover

I now have 2 RCBS Universal hand primers. So one is setup for large, other for small. No more changing, fussing, losing parts.

I have yet to find a tool better made, that does a better job for a better price.

I do tend to do smaller batch's of ammo. So I really appreciate the universal shell holder. Does everything but my .410 brass hulls. .32sw long to .444marlin and no time needed to switch in between. As long as it takes the same primer I can switch and go. Zero time lost, no hunting for shell holders.

I could not be happier with the product myself.

I don't buy RCBS always, but for some tools it is worth it IMO. This is one of them. My scale is the other. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    RCBS bench mounted priming system.............

Winelover
    Vote 2 for the RCBS bench primer.

But it does need a follower on top of the primers. I use the primer follower from one of Dillon's.

Just a little disconcerting with the rod whipping back and forth, especially with a full tube of primers.

Boolit Master
    I use the RCBS bench primer for rifle and all pistol ammo is done on the 550.

Boolit Master

I have a BUNCH!!

Right now I am liking the new bench mounted LEE... I know I know, If you know me and read my thoughts on LEE, its the last you would expect to read form me. But I have said Im no hypocrite and give credit where due. This has its faults and aint perfect, but its size and workings are fitting my needs now.

I have a RCBS auto APS priming bench mounted and hand held and they are good, but larger and heavier.

I have a Hornady hand held and its junk as is the LEE hand held.

I have a couple different RCBS that are good. I wore out the jaws on one RCBS and they replaced them no questions and they work fine again.

I have a couple old bench mounted RCBS and LYMan that still work fine as does the press mounted RAM prime from LEE and RCBS.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I haven't done a big comparison on what's best.

The Lee Classic Cast system is vastly superior to my RC II. It doesn't hang up the press and try to drag the shell holder off if you let go of it. Heck you don't have to hold it at all. It just pivots in and out, is never in the way and always does the right thing. If it bothers me I can remove it easily, just remove shell holder, pull it out and put back the shell holder. No pins or screws.

The Hornady ProJector is known to have a hard to adjust primer feed. I got mine adjusted and keep it clean and leave it alone. It works perfectly, except it refuses to feed the last primer in the tube. So I load one extra.

In his book Richard Lee opined that the RCBS primer strip system was superior, but if they refused to license it to him it would die a proprietary death. Maybe he was right.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Thanks for the responses, and I'll try to follow all of the excellent advice. I knew RCBS would fix the old one, and I am looking at the universal hand tool for small lots of brass. But, my wife just told me she would get me the bench mounted system as a Valentine's Day present!
    Tony

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Thanks for the responses, and I'll try to follow all of the excellent advice. I knew RCBS would fix the old one, and I am looking at the universal hand tool for small lots of brass. But, my wife just told me she would get me the bench mounted system as a Valentine's Day present!
    Tony
    This is the LEE I am liking now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk

This is a MUCH costlier second choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk

This is the one I have used for more then 20 years no troubles..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE_q9K_3brw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    One I like best and have used exclusively for the past 20+ years is the old Lee Auto Prime II. Uses standard shell holders and the primer tray hold 100 primers. Only issue is it doesn't want to feed when down to a dozen or so primers. Solution was to use a plastic cable tie cut shorter with a square face that fits the slot and give it a bump as I pass a primed case to the tray and pick up the next case. Hand held are out of the question due to arthritis and the bench mounted are no better than the ram-prime types unless they have a primer feed. My Lee is mounted on the little Lee C press and that is dedicated to priming. Like the ease of use and with the little press can feel the primer bottom out. The tool is fussy as to primers used as Lee recommends only certain brands and types as safe but CCI is good in all sizes and types which all I use anyway.
    Last edited by Rich/WIS; 02-12-2019 at 11:29 AM.

I have the Frankfort Arsenal one. It has been reliable with not a single issue. I once had the RCBS bench mounted one and regret getting rid of it.

Boolit Master

RCBS bench mounted for any and all ,unless pistol stuff in the Lee 1000 or Star

Boolit Master

The RCBS bench mounted for me. Been using mine for decades.

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    I prefer the RCBS bench mounted primer as well.I have thought about making followers for the primer tube.It's only needed near the end of a loaded tube though.

Boolit Master

I have 5 Lee handheld tools, the Frankford arsenal handheld tool, the Lyman e-zee prime handheld tool and the RCBS handheld tool as well as bench mounted tools by RCBS, Forster and Lee. I find myself reaching for the Lee bench mounted tool the most.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I called RCBS this morning and they have replacement parts for mine on the way, to include an upgrade to both the small and large primer rods. I also ordered the bench mounted system from Amazon. Told the RCBS guy my hand primer was just worn out from over thirty years of use. He just laughed and sents parts at no charge.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

I use the RCBS APS system both bench and press mounted. Works great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031s.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	235864
    L.E.C.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS bench primer. Been using one since the late 70's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast