Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decent .223/556 bolt action rifle under 400.00?

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

I have been looking at the Ruger too. I still have time. Im planing on late spring early summer. Also giving my LGS time to get a used 223 in. He has great prices.

Big Al the axis looks good with that Woodstock thanks for the link. I had a Ruger American in 243 for a short while. It shot lights out but I had a small problem with the magazine feed incorrectly occasionally. A friend of a friend offered more than I had in it for it and I told him of the problem and he said he did not care and bought it. Ruger has done well with the American. It is a very accurate rifle in my experience much more so than any Ruger 77 I have fired over a lifetime. The Only Exception is the old 220 Swift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

YW. I like the looks of the wood one too. My neighbor has a ruger 220 swift with a unertl scope on it. Sweet set up. He claims he has taken a turkey at 600 yards with it. He dose not seam like a **'r. Known him for a long time.

Boolit Master

I picked it up today. Couldn't wait any longer lol. Elevation it was right on. Windage was off about a foot to the right at 100 yards. I have it in pretty good now. I'll make fine adjustments when it gets warmer out.

I picked up a Savage Axis about 6 months before the Axis II came out... trigger still decent, rifle shoots great.

My next .223 project is going to be the TC Compass.

https://youtu.be/Y-HjTc8T3eQ
    USMC VETERAN
    NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

Boolit Master

I have seen a couple Savages shoot lights out, but to me they just "feel" what they are...super cheap. Mostly its there stocks, most all guns in this price range will have cheapo stocks, but Savage seems to excel in this field.

I have both a Mossberg MVP and a Ruger American and recommend either. Another good option is the excellent T/C Compass. Ruger and Mossberg might be few $$ over the 400 mark but the T/C is right there.

Don't skimp (too much) on the glass. It makes a big difference in overall appeal as well as repeatability.

My MVP, bone stock shot this regularly with my handload using H322 and a 60g Vmax.

Numerous touching 100Yard groups.

The Ruger is just as good and its a 16" barrel and neither of them is anything anyone would consider heavy profile! The accuracy afforded today in these budget rifles is astounding.

I don't think you will really go wrong with any of them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I might have to change the scope. It's a little foggy to me. Im developing cataracts. My wife can see through it fine.

Boolit Master

What scope is it?

I just bedded the tang and swapped the scope on my MVP.

I had a 30MM Weaver Kaspa for the last two years. Its a nice clear scope, with a etched reticule but its got a honkin' fugly adj knob on the ocular lens and its not edge to edge view, its like looking thru a tube. Just something I don't like and screams cheapo 22 scope to me.
    I returned a Simmons for a broken reticule last year and they returned a Aetec 4x16x44. Real nice looking scope exceptionally clear. $$ don't always mean quality, but its a 299$ retail scope. (250 @ Optics Planet last night when I checked)

I mounted and leveled the Simmons in Leupold PRW low rings and its as close to the bore as I could possibly get it. (Just like I want!) The Weaver was re mounted on my Ruger American 22MAG. Funny, cause now I really like the scope on this Ruger... It seems a better "fit" in 30MM Millett steel Med rings.

Better optics are never regretted after the $$ cross the table. I don't consider either of these scope as high quality, but rather lower middle. I love and will always prefer a Leupold, but realize its not always needed or practical. My point was you don't always need to pay $$$ for a brand name.

Good luck and have fun!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

It has a weaver on it.

Boolit Master
    Agree about scopes. I never bothered with more expensive ones until last year when I got a Vortex PST for my long range rifle. Made the Bushnell on my Axis look as cheap as it was. Christmas I got a Diamondback for my Axis and it is so much better, especially with my old eyes. Helps a lot when shooting at 400 and 600yd.

I have to say that the .223 is one of those cartridges that is just easy to shoot and load for. At the range on monday a couple guys had fast twist barrels shooting to 1000yd. I was shooting soda cans at 400. Fun stuff. And, it's cheap to load for. Light recoil means it is easy on the shooter as well.

Might be a little late here, but check out the Winchester XPR. Of the other my choice is the Ruger American.

Boolit Buddy
    My T/C Compass .223/5.56 under MOA out of the box with hand loads.....$240 with rebate last year.
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

Boolit Master

I need some decent weather to finish zeroing it in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by double8 View Post
    My T/C Compass .223/5.56 under MOA out of the box with hand loads.....$240 with rebate last year.
    No reason to buy anything else.

Boolit Master

Im getting there. Got cabin fever lol. 100 yards. Load 7 grains red dot speer 55 grain bullets. Resting on sand filled rest. A little more windage adjustment. Very happy with the grouping.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8196.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	237049

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you're looking for a lite .223 load that shoots great, try 18 grains Reloder 7 under just about any 55 grain slug. I like the 55 grain Hornady soft point. About the same recoil (or lack thereof) and muzzle blast as a .22 Magnum and the skinny barrel on my Zastava never gets warm.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have seen a couple Savages shoot lights out, but to me they just "feel" what they are...super cheap. Mostly its there stocks, most all guns in this price range will have cheapo stocks, but Savage seems to excel in this field.
    Every new Savage I've looked at has so much air space between the forend and barrel that you could pack your lunch in it and still be free floated!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

100 yards 7 grains red dot 55 grain speer bullets, Shooting off caldwell tack driver shooting rest. She's dialed
    in!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8227.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	238370
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123