RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent .223/556 bolt action rifle under 400.00?

Boolit Master
    +10 for Savage. While I am not a fan of the Axis rifle they shoot right with the regular Savage and Stevens bolt guns and my latest build was a Savage action with an Axis 22-250 barrel installed. It is running .230” for three at 100 yds ..... that is the kind of accuracy that keeps coyotes from knapping well!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Two groups from my Axis today, and a pic of it in the Boyd's stock. The first group doesn't look so good until you note it was at 400yd My excuse for the 'wide' group is the wind was gusting and I wasn't compensating correctly

And, yes, contrary to the label on the Sierra Matchking box, the 1:9 twist seems to stablize the 77gn bullets ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190212_145314.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	235899

Name:	20190212_145423.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	235903

Name:	20180831_070145s.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	235902

Keep in mind this rifle has about 1000rnds through it. It did not shoot this well when new. Took about 300rnds to really settle down.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on the Savage Axis. I have several that I got on sale and with the rebate were $225 or so. With a Bushnell 3x9 I got on clearance with a factory rebate that came in at $9.99 (I bought 2 at that price) you have a sub-$250 rifle that shoots far better than expected as in MOA or less. If you don't like the plastic stock Boyd's sells several types. You can even get a chassis for $400 if you want.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

ruger, savage, rem and win all make an entry level 223. I guess even if its target work I myself would choose an ar15. Most of the entry level ars will shoot just as accurately as a bolt gun. Ive got 400 dollar psa guns ive thrown together with there cheapest parts and that shoot moa. Now if you want to shoot cast at velocity levels that it might even be accurate at a bolt gun is the way to go. I don't know if trade in means anything to you but its allways easy to pawn or trade and ar. A cheap sporter weight 223 isn't going to fly off the shelf and will be valued low because of it.

Banned
    I would like to second what Lloyd said about the AR for a decent bench rifle. I'll also add that since I started using a AR-15 Receiver Lapping tool when I put the upper together I find that a gun that will group 1/2" at 100 yards once prepped with the lapping tool will generally turn into a 1/4" group gun. That coupled with a really decent trigger and scope generally results in a rifle capable of some astounding accuracy. I've seen a dozen or so of the Rugers on the bench that weren't capable of 5" groups out of the box. I have to try really hard to get an AR that isn't capable of good accuracy.

Boolit Master

I bought a TC Venture here for about 3 and change, this is a better rifle:
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/thompson-....html?___SID=U
    I can put 10 rounds into a quarter size hole at 100 yards using blc2 and https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/72314
    Cheap fun accurate! Only problem is the twist only allows lighter bullets. Savage is a good gun so is the Thompson Center.

Banned

Good point. cheap ars ive seen shooting moa had crappy triggers and sure weren't fitted with quality bench rest scopes. Heck not even free floated. With 20 bucks in springs and some time with a stone polishing the trigger and a cheap free float handguard youd cut a 1/4 inch off of that. granted they not all be moa guns out of the box but my guess is there at least as accurate as the average 400 dollar bolt gun your going to buy with a crappy trigger and a cheap unbedded plastic stock. Add to that the last time I went to WY and did some prairie dog shooting I took along my 18 inch heavy barreled ar. Before the day was over the brother in law and his two buddys were fighting over whos turn it was. That gun probably got shot twice as much that day as all the others put together. All three of them said they were buying a rig like that that next week. I don't know if his buddys did by my brother in law bought a heavy barreled rock river gun from the local gun shop the next day. Said it works great too when he gets his 4 antelope doe permits.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I would like to second what Lloyd said about the AR for a decent bench rifle. I'll also add that since I started using a AR-15 Receiver Lapping tool when I put the upper together I find that a gun that will group 1/2" at 100 yards once prepped with the lapping tool will generally turn into a 1/4" group gun. That coupled with a really decent trigger and scope generally results in a rifle capable of some astounding accuracy. I've seen a dozen or so of the Rugers on the bench that weren't capable of 5" groups out of the box. I have to try really hard to get an AR that isn't capable of good accuracy.

Boolit Master

I have dies and and bullets on the way for it. Might as well start loading some rounds up. My wrist is sore from removing primer crimps from 556 cases lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I bought a TC Venture here for about 3 and change, this is a better rifle:
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/thompson-....html?___SID=U
    Wha a B*** F****ing YOUGLY stock!!

Boolit Master
    I agree that an AR makes more sense financially (if you ever want to sell it). As long as you buy when the prices are low Then there are the problems of a good trigger and such which can drive the price up quickly.

I should also include that these budget rifles can also be not so accurate if you get one of the 'lemons'. For example, Savage quality specs for the Axis is 2MOA although most do much better than that. It just means that if your Axis shoots at 2MOA Savage won't 'fix' it. The Varmint/Target rifles are spec at 1MOA so if your 12FV shoots 2MOA then Savage will fix it. Pay more for better quality control.

Banned

Charlie for 40 bucks you can buy a spring kit and a disconnector adjusting screw that replaces your grip screw and get a trigger as good or better then any cheap factory bolt gun. For about the same psa will sell you a spring and polished trigger and hammer that will get you a 3-5 lb trigger. Actually there one of the easiest and cheapest platforms to get a decent trigger. Most of those cheap guns have trash triggers that you need to totally replace with something like a timney for over a 100 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I agree that an AR makes more sense financially (if you ever want to sell it). As long as you buy when the prices are low Then there are the problems of a good trigger and such which can drive the price up quickly.

I should also include that these budget rifles can also be not so accurate if you get one of the 'lemons'. For example, Savage quality specs for the Axis is 2MOA although most do much better than that. It just means that if your Axis shoots at 2MOA Savage won't 'fix' it. The Varmint/Target rifles are spec at 1MOA so if your 12FV shoots 2MOA then Savage will fix it. Pay more for better quality control.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I have dies and and bullets on the way for it. Might as well start loading some rounds up. My wrist is sore from removing primer crimps from 556 cases lol.
    I con my grandkids into doing that in exchange for 22 shells or even 5 bucks on occasion. doesn't take a lot of time to do 500 or so with a Dillon swadger. Trimming and chamfering (especially chamfering) is the job I detest. But ive got a Dillon trimmer that I mount on one of my lock and loads and that makes short work out of trimming. But I hate to turn the kids loose with a power drill and a champering tool spinning around. heck ive drawn my own blood doing that.

Boolit Master
    I thought good AR triggers were more than that. I guess I was looking at the full trigger groups.

The Accutrigger on the Axis is really nice. Mine is set at the minimum (around 2lb) and is a clean break. Some may not like the 'blade' triggers, but, they do work. Makes small groups not so hard to get. Never felt the need to get one of the expensive ones. Don't know if the 12FV has the lighter trigger or not, since it is in the 'varmint' lineup it might. The target Accutrigger on my 12BVSS is set to less than 1lb. I have not tried some of the other brands but at least a couple have adopted the same blade trigger design so I suspect theirs are just as nice.

I do admit I have changed the stock on my Axis package rifle. The stock rifle shot just as good as it does now. I just wanted a prettier and heavier stock so I got the Boyd's.

It is all just really preference.

Boolit Master

I figured out an easier way to get the primer crimps out. Torx bit on the drill. Cuts the crimp out real fast lol.

Banned

the cheaper suggestion I made is not going to give you a 1-2 lb competition trigger. What its going to give you is a good fairly crisp 3-4 lb trigger with not a lot of creap which is 500 percent better then factory mispec triggers are and all you need for a hunting or self defense gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I thought good AR triggers were more than that. I guess I was looking at the full trigger groups.

The Accutrigger on the Axis is really nice. Mine is set at the minimum (around 2lb) and is a clean break. Some may not like the 'blade' triggers, but, they do work. Makes small groups not so hard to get. Never felt the need to get one of the expensive ones. Don't know if the 12FV has the lighter trigger or not, since it is in the 'varmint' lineup it might. The target Accutrigger on my 12BVSS is set to less than 1lb. I have not tried some of the other brands but at least a couple have adopted the same blade trigger design so I suspect theirs are just as nice.

I do admit I have changed the stock on my Axis package rifle. The stock rifle shot just as good as it does now. I just wanted a prettier and heavier stock so I got the Boyd's.

It is all just really preference.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I would not go less than 3lb with a field gun and 'normal' trigger. The nice thing about the 'blade' triggers is you can go a bit lighter without sacrificing safety. And, yes, the std AR trigger is pretty bad.

The other thing going for the AR is the huge variety of options and add ons. You can fit one for everything from close quarters to long range work as well as getting one to fit your body perfectly.

Boolit Master

My sons axis 243 has very little trigger travel. Hope the one i get is like that.

Boolit Grand Master
    The only cheap gun I have is a Compass. Very accurate. The looks, fit and feel scores a 4.....but shots like a 10.
    Don Verna

How about a pic of that Savage Axis with the Woodstock?
    Ulav8r- I agree that the T/C Dimension is hideous! It makes a Rem 770 look like a Kimber!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BigAl, I have not personally shot a .223 Ruger American, I do load for and shoot a 22-250 RAR with a 1-10" twist. It shoots 63 gr Sierra's, 60 gr Hornady's, 60 gr Noslers, and 55 gr Barnes TSX's in less than an inch for each load. Here's a side note: it will shoot them all interchangeably into a 1 1/2" group with no change in zero needed. It has a 4x12 Vortex in Burris ZEE rings mounted to the factory supplied rail. It feeds so slickly that occasionally I have to pull the bolt back and peek to see if it did, in fact, feed a live round. It's a plain old black/blued gun but it has endeared itself to me and the friend of mine who owns it with it's performance. Good luck with your decision.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast