WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: FWIW Lee 252 LSWC in 45 ACP

Boolit Buddy

FWIW Lee 252 LSWC in 45 ACP

Saw a recent thread asking about a load for a 200gr LSWC. Couldn't help there but figured I'd share one I have for the Lee 252 LSWC (260gr as cast from my mould in ACWW).

I'm using Win and RP Brass, Federal or CCI Large Pistol primers (doesn't seem to matter which), 5.0 gr of Unique and Speed Green. Loading as cast til the case just covers the crimp groove and just enough crimp to take the flare out of the case mouth.

Perfect reliability with well over 1000 down range. VERY minor leading (maybe because my pistol has polygonal rifling). 5 or 6 strokes of a bore brush with chore boy every 50-75 shots and the bore looks like brand new.

I'm getting 815fps out of an HK USP45. Not blistering speed but its quite a thumper with a 260 grain boolit and the most accurate load I've found for the pistol. Far better than I can get with the 200gr. LRFN. I'm not a good pistol shot but this load is consistently shooting in the very high 90's at 25 yards. (I usually end up with a couple just outside the 10 ring per mag of 10 rounds....😑 Almost certainly an operator issue.) At SD distance (the proverbial 21ft.) its boringly accurate. The only question is how many won't be X's and every one is because of a defect in the nut behind the trigger.

Work up in your pistol. YMMV. Use at your own risk.

Hope someone finds this useful. Be safe!

BH2

Boolit Master

I love 250's in the 45 ACP. May I suggest using WSF as your powder, the velocity is very good and the pressure is not high. Shot a lot of it over the years in a 1911 with bowling pins. Stiffer load of it is great for the 625 as well.

What is your O.A.L. Looks like a good SD load . It is close to the 45 Colt factory load. I have that mould and one that I hollow pointed that goes 240gr.

i
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

In the distant past, I loaded Lyman 454424 at 263gr over the same charge of Unique. It has a longer nose with a taper. I seated it to the shoulder and it fed well. I'm glad it is working for you.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for the delay, Bman! I've been on the road.

1.170" oal

Thanks for the info. I have made up some dummies that feed ok in my 1911s,but didn't know where to start for a powder charge. I have that mold hollow pointed to 240gr and would like to get it up to 800+ fps. for a close range S.D. load.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.