RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Springfield XDM 10mm Barrel swaps?

Boolit Master

Springfield XDM 10mm Barrel swaps?

I tried asking SA this, but they kind of gave me a lawyered up response saying it might be possible, but they advise against doing it.

I'm wanting to get an extra barrel and some new mags for my 10mm XDM so that I can shoot 357 Sig through it. I know you can do that with other caliber XDMs, but I believe the 10mm XDM is a different frame size than the 9mm/40/357 XDMs. Does anyone know if the barrels and magazines are interchangeable?

Boolit Buddy
    I dont know the answer to that but I can tell you many people shoot 40S&W (myself included in my 10mm RIA Tac Ultra) in their 10mm guns without any issues. I dont know the reason behind this swap but 40 would shoot similar to sig 357 and brass and ammo are a lot cheaper and you dont even need to swap anything out unless you dont like headspacing on the extractor and if thats the case you need a new barrel. So far i had no issues with my 1911 shooting 40s. Cant help you much with sig 357 though sorry.

The 10mm XDm is built on the .45 acp frame, according to the Springfield reps I talked to at the SHOT Show last month in Las Vegas. You might try Barsto Barrels and see if they're making a barrel for it yet, but it's pretty early in the production cycle. In looking at their website, it doesn't appear they're making them just yet, but you might give them a call, though it's not going to be cheap. https://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=xdm&cco=108

My XDm 10mm is the 5.25" version, and since I already have an XD in 357 Sig, I won't pursue the extra barrel version.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    The 10mm XDm is built on the .45 acp frame, according to the Springfield reps I talked to at the SHOT Show last month in Las Vegas. You might try Barsto Barrels and see if they're making a barrel for it yet, but it's pretty early in the production cycle. In looking at their website, it doesn't appear they're making them just yet, but you might give them a call, though it's not going to be cheap. https://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=xdm&cco=108

My XDm 10mm is the 5.25" version, and since I already have an XD in 357 Sig, I won't pursue the extra barrel version.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I wish I had bought an xD in 357 back when they were still making them. Now they are nowhere to be found.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I wish I had bought an xD in 357 back when they were still making them. Now they are nowhere to be found.
    I bought the first one in Oregon when they first came out, and it was my second XD. It's a very accurate pistol, and I won't sell it.

I'd like to see an XD in .38 Super myself. That would make a great combination, I believe. An even better one would be an XD in 9x23 Winchester, with a carbine to go with it....

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I bought the first one in Oregon when they first came out, and it was my second XD. It's a very accurate pistol, and I won't sell it.

I'd like to see an XD in .38 Super myself. That would make a great combination, I believe. An even better one would be an XD in 9x23 Winchester, with a carbine to go with it....

Fred
    Might as well throw 9x25 Dillon into the mix. All they would have to do is swap barrels on the 10mm, and it would be good to go.

i might just buy a 40 S&W XDM and buy a 357 Sig barrel for it. Thanks fellas.

I also shoot the 9x25 Dillon in two different pistols, a Witness and a 1911. That would make an excellent round in the XD platform, now that we've got the XDm in 10mm. If it ever stops blowing and raining around here, I'll take my new 10mm XDm out to the range and find out if it's as good a shooter as the rest of my XD's are.

Fred

Boolit Master
    I also shoot the 9x25 Dillon in two different pistols, a Witness and a 1911. That would make an excellent round in the XD platform, now that we've got the XDm in 10mm. If it ever stops blowing and raining around here, I'll take my new 10mm XDm out to the range and find out if it's as good a shooter as the rest of my XD's are.

Fred
    If yours is anything like mine, It'll shoot the light out.

Like I said, I'll probably buy a 40 S&W XDM and get a 357 Sig barrel for it. I'll wait for someone to make a 9x25 Dillon barrel for the 10mm XDM and then I'll have pretty much a complete set of that family of rounds.

If they made a 9mm, or .38 Super barrel, for the .45 acp frame XD or XDm, it would be a simple matter to rechamber one of those to 9x25 Dillon. I used a .38 Super barrel to make my 9x25 Witness. I used a 9mm barrel to make my 357 Sig Witness.

You need the .45 acp frame to be able to take the magazine for the 9x25, and the 10mm slide to accommodate the case head. It also gives you enough slide opening to handle the length of the 9x25 (10mm), but I'm not sure the smaller frame could handle it for feeding, and I know the magazines aren't long enough either.

Hope this helps.

Fred