Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Check my thinking

Boolit Master

Check my thinking

Caliber: 35 Remington
    projectile: 250 gr lead
    Powder: WC 72

Not having a chronometer, or access to one, I intend to compare the impact to that of store bought and calculate the velocity from the difference in point of impact.
    Is this doable?
    I know that this caliber is borderline or even small for optimal results, but I am not concerned with achieving blistering speeds.
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    i don't know. but i use a chronograph when i work up loads. today you can get a chronograph for around 100.00. cheap insurance when doing load work.

Boolit Master
    assuming they both hit the same point at 100yds (or else youd have to factor that) you could extend both loads to say 400 yds and shoot enough to get an accurate measure of drop from both. then youd have to know the ballistic coefficient of both projectiles and then guess and check with an online ballistics calculator imputing bc and different speeds until the trajectory matches then youd get speed within 5% accuracy maybe? this is allot of work to find velocity, not very accurate, and im probably missing a factor or two given a few minutes to think about it. so im basically saying find someone to borrow one or just trust the book data of speeds unless you wanna nerd the **** outa this.

Boolit Mold
    unless you wanna nerd the **** outa this.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Caliber: 35 Remington
    projectile: 250 gr lead
    Powder: WC 72

Not having a chronometer, or access to one, I intend to compare the impact to that of store bought and calculate the velocity from the difference in point of impact.
    Is this doable?
    I know that this caliber is borderline or even small for optimal results, but I am not concerned with achieving blistering speeds.
    Bill
    While it might somehow be feasable to estimate velocity with impact you would need the exact factory bullet. Changing to a home cast, much heavier than factory bullet lets too many variables in. I am not sure how you would calculate cartridge OAL other than by trial and error. The powder is slow enough it might burn well with that heavy bullet. I would be concerned about feeding other than with a single shot due to reduced powder space as the only factory 35 Rem I have seen had a 200 gr bullet.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I try not to over think things.
    I'd start about in the middle of a loading manual recommendation,
    tweet a little up & down watching for pressure signs to find the best accuracy, and be happy with that.

After testing loads through a chronograph,
    I've found the loads & speeds listed in the books are pretty close to what I got from the same barrel length.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.