Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Shooter's World Buffalo powder ?

Boolit Buddy

Shooter's World Buffalo powder ?

Im a long time user of A5744 for almost all my milsurp loads . It is expensive any way you look at it . Has anyone tried Shooters World "Buffalo" rifle powder in place of A5744 . I've read somewhere its a close facsimile .

Boolit Master

I never used 5744. I used it as an equivalent for 5744 in 260 Rem loads. It works great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    i used lots of 5744, then the price went high. to high for me. then i found buffalo rifle powder. i found out from shooters world that buffalo rifle is the old 5744 and i can drop the same powder charge weight with it. so i got some and ran tests with my marlin 336 cb in 30-30. this rifle is my big bore lever action silhouette rifle. last year i have been testing the x-treme 150 gr fp plated 30-30 bullet with 5744. this load is what i was going to use for the chickens (50 meters), pigs (100 meters), and turkeys (150 meters) this year. i dropped 17.5 grs of 5744. this load ran 1,566 fps across my chronograph. three shot groups were one inch on chickens and pigs and around one to two inchs on turkeys. no kick or loud report. the load hit the targets hard knocking them off the rail with force. but did i say the price of 5744 went to high. so i started the testing with buffalo rifle powder with the same rifle and bullet. i loaded up test rounds starting at 17.0, 17.5, 18.0, 18.5,, so on and stopping at 23.0 grs. what i found was 17.5 grs of 5744 runs at 1,566 fps and 17.5 grs of buffalo rifle runs at 1,462 fps. group testing showed 18.5 grs (1,555 fps) and 21.5 grs (1,766 fps) were the best. better than my current 5744 load. touching at chickens and pigs, one inch at turkeys. no kick and no loud report. later this summer i am going to test some of my cast bullets with it to see if i can beat the x-treme plated bullet. so as far as i can see for me buffalo rifle is a replacement for 5744.

also, shooters world precision rifle powder is a one for one replacement for varget in my testing in the 7-08 fmj bullets and 30-30 plated bullets. it is priced lower too.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    This is good news. If their powder is as good as Czech firearms then as my stock of propellant gets reduced I will have to look at it seriously. Was at Powder Valley yesterday and $ 3-4 a pound less looks good to my eyes.
    The Czech's have been in this firearms business longer than most.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    What about a link to cost of the powder?
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    What about a link to cost of the powder?
    Way better than 5744:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...-1-lb-by-lovex

Boolit Buddy
    Works as advertised, by the way!

Boolit Buddy
    several different places sell it on line, powder valley, mid south shooter, grafs and son. i have a local store that has it. the last eight pounds of buffalo rifle i got last month was $159.00 plus tax. the last eight pounds of 5744 i got last november was around 245.00 plus haz mat and shipping. over the years accurate powders have been made by many different powder makers. lovex company was one the maker of accurate powders. lovex is shooters world powder.

Boolit Master

Great info. Thank you all
    I’m going to see if my local shop can get some for me to try.
    I’ve always wanted to try 5744 but he won’t carry accurate due to higher price. There’s no real market for it when Alliant and Hodgdon cover 99% of the needs.

Boolit Master
    Graf's sold me 4 1lb bottles of Buffalo Rifle. 8 bucks shipping and 10 bucks on the hazmat, can't beat it.