Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Range scrap alloy

Boolit Buddy

Range scrap alloy

I have access to a 5 gallon bucket full of indoor range scrap and want to put it to good use. Looks like the lead is gonna be soft as much of it contains jacket material (and 22 bullets). I also shoot a lot of trap, so I always have a good supply of 71/2 magnum shot on hand. Would adding some shot serve to harden the lead to an acceptable level (wheelweights) and also make it capable of hardening through heat treating? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, it should. The amount depends on how soft your range scrap is. It may be a guess on just how much shot to add. Start at less than you think and add as needed.

Banned
    After you smelt the whole bucket you could send a sample to BNE and know exactly what you're dealing with.

There was another poster that had range scrap that was too hard. you two should get together.

I found that fluxing range scrap with wax before removing the jackets netted me more lead, helped release the lead from the jackets. don't forget to cut a notch into the completely jacketed bullets and put a lid on you smelting pot when you smelt.

Boolit Master
    I made bullets from straight water quenched magnum shot before and they were VERY tough and hard, shot some through wood without even denting. so it would certainly work for hardening. reports on range scrap analysis go from 1-4% antimony, so ya no idea how much you should add if any just cant say.

Boolit Buddy
    I mine the berm at a local PD range and it is mostly jacketed rounds. It yields about 7.5 BHN (measure with a Cabine Tree. Tester), it works fine for 45, 38, 357 up to 1250+ fps without leading. But you can collect the jackets and sell them for scrap. I have 8 to10, 5 gal buckets of scrap to turn in, which pays for the propane to melt it.

Boolit Master
    I use my range scrap just the way it is. Couldn't tell you what the hardness is, but I CAN tell you my moulds and my guns don't care either way. I tumble lube the slower stuff in strait alox, with a mica powder sprinkling, and powder coat everything else. Never have any leading issues. And yes, I shoot a LOT of them. As far as lead shot goes, I have never melted any, so I can't say. Hope this helps.

Boolit Buddy

I do 25 lbs of range scrap with 5 lbs of lead shot each time I smelt range lead and it had been working out great for 45 and 9mm.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"