Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast way to sort 45 ACP L & S primed range brass?

Boolit Master

I wish there was a cheap way to acquire all the small primer 45ACP brass that others are scrapping. It sounds like it would be almost 100% once fired. I have gone to SP 45's to avoid changing size on the Dillon 550B. I don't load anything but pistol on it. .45 Colt and larger are done single stage.

Regarding sorting, I'm sure there are some SP cases mixed with the LP cases I have on hand since I purchased some of it and picked up the rest. I'll let the Dillon find the LP cases that I miss in those buckets.

On a side note, most of the SP 45's I have are headstamped Blazer. I've never been curious enough to check manufacturer. Federal and Speer are next.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Most of what I find are Fed head stamps then Blazer also Win, FC, GFL and a few others show up in range brass.
    When I started shooting SP brass, a lot of shooters would give me SP brass they did not want.

Boolit Master
    Until I achieve jmorris ability I just sort while inspecting after cleaning.
    After having some spider egg sacs in my brass and at least one get loaded I implemented a better inspection method.
    I just use plastic ammo trays from factory ammo, Federal 45acp is my standard, I keep 12-15 trays just for sorting, and use them for multiple calibers, especially sorting 380 from 9x19 and the occasional 9x18.
    Just take a bucket of cleaned brass and pour handfuls if brass onto the tray, shaking it a little.
    The trays fill up fast, most cases mouth down with only a few cases upside down (or is it right side up?).
    I use forceps to pull the upside down cases and flip them or a small screw driver to push them up from the bottom of the tray.
    I can then inspect the case head and primer size, again using forceps to pull out cases.
    After first inspection flip the tray quickly onto the bench and remove.
    Then I inspect the interior sides and mouth of all cases with a flashlight.
    Lastly place the cleaned/inspected cases in a container with a tight fitting lid to keep insects/debris out.
    More work than I like, but I now prefer fully inspected brass.
    And it isn’t a bad filler job, something easy to do while having a drink, listening to tunes and enjoying some good weather or watching a sunset if I set up a table outside the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Spider egg sacs in brass is a real pain to deal with and one of the reasons why I inspect all range brass as I deprime.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Until I achieve jmorris ability...
    Many aspire, but there can be only one...

I use both large and small. Mostly large of recent though. If primers get scarce again come time they try to ban guns, I'll have more choices.

I'd love to come across a stash of large primer 38's and 357's. I think they're neat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I built two different methods. This one I suppose would be the fastest because they are sorted out as I load. No “extra” time involved.

Those machines are amazing thanks for showing them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I put them in there own bin as i go though them. Often wondered why 45acp is the only one's that have 2 different size primers.
    They did this to 10mm for awhile, really hated it.

Boolit Master

I'm lazy. I sort on the 650. If the primer doesn't slide in I pull the brass and take a look. If it's a small primer it goes in a bucket.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

A piece of plexi glass on a stand with a accurately scribes ring the size of a small pistol pocket could be used case under and look thru the marked lense it the ring is the size of the pocket then its spp if bigger its lpp. would show at a glance easily.

Boolit Master
    I sort them the first time , and then it's just a matter of not mixing them in again . All new to me brass gets deprimed ,washed , polished , separate by head stamp , and a good look at before going into rotation . Over size flash holes , spiders web , rocks , split or cracked necks on and on a lot can happen to a piece of brass that hits the ground .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    put them in a bullet box and check them with a flat head screwdriver. If the screwdriver doesn't fit, use it to flip the case out.

or just put a row of brass between 2 fingers and check them.
    Is that a straight blade flat head or a Phillips flat head?

Easiest way to sort the brass is no different from any other task we don’t like. Just get after it. Since it’s not demanding like handloading you can have pleasant distractions. I’ve had sudden stoppages with my 550 and .45 GAP out of bags of purchased brass, too. They don’t feel any different than ACP when I grab one from the tray and stick it in the press.

Bullseye shooters like the small primer .45 cases. The theory is that the SPP is less powerful and therefore less likely to displace the bullet before the burning powder pushes it down the bore.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Most of the methods require decapping prior to checking. I started looking at a pile I had, and there were few small primer cases. I then decided that when the ole Dillon 550 comes to a halt, I'll throw the offending case into a bucket for my buddy who wants them and saves the large primer ones for me.

Boolit Bub
    I line up a 1/2 doz or so between 2 popsicle sticks. Small primers will stand out when they are in a straight line.

Boolit Buddy
    All this hand sorting and standing them up to look at the primer pockets takes a bunch of time if your running a 1000 pieces at once. Easiest way I found that can help with the reloading process is resize them on a progressive with the large primer seat in place. If the primer seater enters the pocket then its large if not its small and I pull it from the shell plate. Goes really fast on the LnL AP with my 3D printed case feeder. I actually set the press up last night to run a batch of 1000 pieces of 45 brass.

That’s still twice the work.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I built two different methods. This one I suppose would be the fastest because they are sorted out as I load. No “extra” time involved.

Does that sort out the ones that need the crimp removed from the primer pocket ?
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

I keep things simple and use the Mark-1 Eyeball prior to cases going onto the Dillon.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    That auto eject unit I believe Ammobot is marketing. It is about 700 bucks.
    It can be seen on their website.
    It is designed to be an add on to an Ammobot. I suppose if you are a tech guy uncoils make it work w/o an Ammobot. This is designed to work on a Dillon 1050. You also need to remove the swage rod and replace it with a primer sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SWfUs-VS4JQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast