Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast way to sort 45 ACP L & S primed range brass?

Boolit Buddy

Fast way to sort 45 ACP L & S primed range brass?

Hi All,

Small primer 45 brass is a problem for me! There has to be a better way to separate the brass, then sorting through ever case as it comes out of the media separator!

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance,
    broom

Use a large primer pocket cleaner to check them. Mount it on a board or bench. When you grab a case pass it over the primer pocket tool on its way to the sizing die. You'll feel the difference between them and it might not take much extra time. Just what came to my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Bazoo,

That's a good thought!
    I was thinking about some type of quick bulk guide. To lining up say 50 cases.
    So I can just pick out the small cases. The only idea I came up with was a bullet box with a second hinge, so I can just push out the small primers.
    If I don't get a better idea here I'll give your idea & mine a try!

Thanks for your reply,
    broom

Boolit Master
    I just look at the primer and put the small primer in one box and the large primer in a different box, I don't know how it could be any simpler.

Boolit Master

I just sort them out from the tumbler. Shake them in a wide container to keep the case mouth upright then grab them by the handful to check headstamp. There maybe some other brands but 90% are mostly Speer & new FC hs that have small primers.
    If still too cumbersome for you, use handheld when priming, you'll know which ones are SP pretty quick. No need for pre-sorting.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm another that just eyeballs them as they come out of the tumbler. Like Sig556 says, most are Speer and Federal and the letters on those headstamps are different than their large primer brass. Yeah, its still a pain!

Boolit Master

I put them in there own bin as i go though them. Often wondered why 45acp is the only one's that have 2 different size primers.

Feed them all to the Dillon 550. If the large primer balks on seating, remove the case and throw it in a dedicated coffee can. Another reason a non automatic advance on a progressive press is a good thing.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    put them in a bullet box and check them with a flat head screwdriver. If the screwdriver doesn't fit, use it to flip the case out.

or just put a row of brass between 2 fingers and check them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I just look at the primer and put the small primer in one box and the large primer in a different box, I don't know how it could be any simpler.
    It might seem tedious but inspecting every case, everytime it's going to be reloaded is a very smart thing to do....you can catch a lot of things that way.
    There are no awards given for speed in reloading eyeball each case .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I just stand them primer up after SS tumbling and visually inspect. If I miss any my 650 will let me know and that case would go to a different bin. Once I get enough SP cases accumulated I can make a batch with SP.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I put them in there own bin as i go though them. Often wondered why 45acp is the only one's that have 2 different size primers.
    There are also small pistol primed 10mm cases. I have about 500 of them. And don't forget the large and small primed .400 Cor-Bon cases, too. In the past, there were also large and small primered .357 Magnum and .38 Special cases, so it's not a new conundrum.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the heads up on 10mm cases. Mine are starline brass. I don't find any at the range. But one day i will. I been lucky with 38 and 357 brass all small so far.

One quick easy way to sort them is by not sorting. Buy just large or small. Which every you prefer.
    Don't pick up range brass leave it for some else.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    Hi All,

I was hoping someone had a better idea! I have been doing it just like all of you for years! It's just a little annoying to look at each case. YES! it is a built in quality check for split cases or other issues.
    I use to be a brass rat (hoarder) but I'm better now! LOL

Thanks for the reply's,
    broom

Banned
    Never shoot large and small on the same trip.

Has anyone found the large primers are a little hotter than the small?

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Never shoot large and small on the same trip.

Has anyone found the large primers are a little hotter than the small?
    In the limited testing I did with my favorite load, I found less than 25 fps difference between the two, which is just about within the average velocity spread for the same load. I only tested 25 rounds of each, but it was enough for me to conclude there was no difference, or at least not enough difference, to notice. All of them also hit the same point of impact at 25 yards, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on 10mm cases. Mine are starline brass. I don't find any at the range. But one day i will. I been lucky with 38 and 357 brass all small so far.
    Al,

It very unlikely that you'll find any large pistol primed .38 or .357 brass. They stopped making it back in the late 1950's to early 1960's. When I started loading in 1963, the local gunshop had two large fish bowls of .38 brass that they sold for .01 cent each. One bowl contained large primed brass, and the other one contained small primed brass, your choice. I still have a few in my collection.

The small pistol primed 10mm brass I have is Federal NT headstamped, and the small pistol primed .400 Cor-Bon is Starline, though at one time they also made .400 Cor-Bon with large pistol pockets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    A couple folls have done some experiments in 45acp with small primer vs large primer. Surprisingly the small primer edged out the large for accuracy.

No ideas on how to separate them faster.

Boolit Master

7.62x39 brass comes in large and small primer pockets too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast