WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894 in 45 colt

Boolit Master

Marlin 1894 in 45 colt

I am considering one of these rifles. I would like to shoot cast pretty exclusively. I currently cast a LEE 255gr rfn and the Ruger ONLY LFN.
    Will this rifle cycle these two boolits?
    What have been your experiences with this rifle?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    I have an older 1894 Cowboy in .45 colt. It's an excellent little rifle. I have only used commercial hard cast 250gr RNFP bullets, and the RCBS 250gr RNFP. Both shoot and feed very well. I have a Lyman 17A sight on the front and a Lyman peep on the rear. I also put a WWG Happy Trigger into it which is quite nice.

Chris.

I have two of the Marlin 1894CB's in .45 Colt, and both of them will feed just about anything I put in the magazine, even SWC bullets. I've tried different weights, but for what I do with them, I've found that the 200 gr. RNFP works quite well out to 100 yards.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I also have a few and all feed everything I have tried. From 200 swc, 250 swc, 225 & 255 rnfp & even my 310 LBT. I have a 300 LEE WFN I have yet to try.

One of my favorite rifles!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I have an older 1894 Cowboy in .45 colt. It's an excellent little rifle. I have only used commercial hard cast 250gr RNFP bullets, and the RCBS 250gr RNFP. Both shoot and feed very well. I have a Lyman 17A sight on the front and a Lyman peep on the rear. I also put a WWG Happy Trigger into it which is quite nice.

Chris.
    Thanks for your help Chris. But what do you mean by older? Thats actually another concern. I want a genuine Marlin rifle, not a Remlin.
    Do you know how to makes sure youre getting a Marlin?
    "In GOD We Trust"

An older Marlin, made by Marlin, will have a "JM" stamp on the barrel, just in front of the receiver.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I have one of the very first Marlin Cowboy's in .45Colt. The 24" bbl'd one. Made in 1996.
    Recently bought a Lee #45-255-RF 6cav.
    I haven't shot any yet, but I made up 6 dummy rds. They feed, cycle & eject PERFECTLY.

Just waiting for a chance to Powder Coat & size, so I can shoot a bunch. They do drop from the mold at .455 when cast from 50% COWW + 50% #2.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    My CB24" 45 colt from 96 shoots the Lee255 (.453) very well. Standard clay targets on the 100 yard backstop are monotony with this boolit, homemade loob, and Unique. The sights are a skinner front and marlin rear folding. My favorite of all leverguns. I hunt with it.

1Papalote

Boolit Master
    Lefty, mine is a JM built rifle. I don't remember when I got it, maybe 2007 or so?

I would buy a new one, but not without inspecting it first. I'd heard that they were getting much better so I went down to my favorite gun shop and had a look at one that just came in. The butt stock was fit so poorly I could see right through the gap between it and where it met the metal at the back of the receiver.

But I'd take a chance on a new one that passed a visual inspection. Even my older one is not perfect. But it shoots great and is a pile of fun.

Chris.

Easy way to tell if it is a Marlin/Remington is the serial number starting with MR.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    Thanks KMac
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Bub
    JM Marlin CB and NOE 454-285-SWC working just fine.

Boolit Master

I have one of the current production Marlins, I run the NOE 280 WFN. No problems.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I have one of the current production Marlins, I run the NOE 280 WFN. No problems.
    Jeff, how wide is the meplat on that NOE boolit and whats the OAL of the loaded cartridge?
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 02-12-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Lee 300 WFN and a 270 Lyman. Both are new to me and not yet tested in the Marlin. Both chamber in my Blk Hawk.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Meplat is .325. From the crimping groove to the meplat is .400. I'll have to measure the overall when I get home. If I remember correctly is going to be about .050 over max. It's my favorite bullet for deer in my Marlin. I have had nothing but headaches trying to get it to work in my 1892 Winchester.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banner Sponsor

I have a Rossi/Puma 24"SS octagon 45 Colt, and the max nose length on it seems to be around .385"
    I mostly shoot the Hunter's Supply 275, for a length of 1.660". The HS 275 has a meplat of .325"
    Will the Marlin's feed and function with a .4" nose?

Boolit Master

Absolutely, feeds without a hitch in the Marlin. Your findings on your nose length limitations is similar to my Winchester 92 and it will not feed the NOE 275 grain bullet. My cartridge overall length is 1.684.
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    The boolit in question (MiHa 454-300 Ruger ONLY) has a nose length, crimp to meplat, of .440”
    The meplat is about .335”
    This is the boolit Id like to shoot in this rifle.

https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold...ly-pb-hp-2-cav
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    There appears to be a lighter weight and shorter version that might work. Its crimp to meplat is only .375” long. But I dont have that mold.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast