Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ways to improve accuracy with a win model 94?

Yep, if you really wanted to shrink the groups, rear peep and front post. I never altered my pre-64 as the buckhorns are made for minute of deer at any of the ranges. Your good as is.

Boolit Master
    I can also attest to the improved groups due to a rear aperture and a blade front.

Some years ago, a fellow had a '94 which shot like yours does, but cast went about 3-4" as I recall. He really wanted to shoot cast more than anything, so we slugged the barrel and were not surprised to find a couple of tight spots. The barrel was then pressure lapped to clean it up. Jacketed did somewhat better and the cleaning chore was noticeably easier. Cast really came into it's own and he could do 1" from a bench and the results were repeatable. IIRC, the load was a 150gr Lyman 311266 Loverin design cast of quenched WW's, gas-checked and point flattened to a .2" meplat for tubular mags, lubed with MTL (red wax lube containing Teflon) over 26.5gr of AA2015 and a standard large rifle primer. They were pleasant but spoke with authority and he busted a lot of cow pies and hedge apples when walking around the farm. One thing which helped with shooting cast was to be sure the boolit heels are flat and square and the checks go on squarely. In this day of powder coated cast, it would seem the lubing and gas checks could be done away with, but I haven't gone there yet.

I fashioned a scout scope mount for my 94 using a custom weaver base secured to the forend band and a dovetail filler block. Still the best group I got was 2". I discovered (again) that i detest scout scope set ups so back to the peep sights for me. It's a 38-55 now and once I get the boolit fit right I'll be happy with 2" groups @ 100 yes. It's a close range thumper so that accuracy level is just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

One of the biggest problems with lever guns is the magazine, every shot fired changes the weight in the mag. A customer made a two shot 94 with a very short mag and was getting 1" groups.

Boolit Master
    I had two 94 30/30 rifles 40years ago that would both group into 2 inch or less with WW 170gr silver tips, I just wish I still had them. If you get your rifle to shoot better than that 2 inches I would love to know what you did. Regards Stephen

My Win 94 is 0rd at 60yds. Off rest with 150gr Hornady and Lyman 66 it will do a inch/ 5 shot. I have Marlin 336
    Maurader with Lyman 66 that will edge it a little. OPs gun probably shoots better than stock sights allow. I've had many pre 64 M94s and although not target guns they all shot well both 30/30s & 32win. I've had 25/35 &
    38/55 but they were not in the best condition to shoot groups.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Try 30 grains IMR 4064 under a 150 grain Sierra. This is a legit 1" load in my Marlins, see no reason why a 94 wouldn't like it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    pietro offers good advice. Don't shoot a 2-piece stocked rifle with the fore end on a sandbag. The fore end is attached to the barrel. At a minimum hold it as he said, but I've found the best rifle rest for anything that recoils enough to bounce off a firm bag is a rolled up sleeping bag. The weight of the rifle sinks the gun into the bag enough to stabilize it, and the bag is so soft the rifle doesn't bounce upward in recoil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slips73 View Post
    Thanks everyone all good information.

I knew there was something I was forgetting about shooting lever guns from a bench, I think I shot my best groups as well, with the forend gripped in my hand. I shot this group with the forend resting on a sand bag, that will be the next thing I try.

Also re: the comment on 170 gr bullets, I have also noticed atleast in any 1894 I have owned that they don't shoot as good as the 150 gr bullets.
    Tried this the other day with an 1886 Chiappa that I am working with - groups not much different but POI 6 to 8 inches different at 100 yards - higher resting the forend hard on my adjustable rest - lower if I rested on my hand between forend and rest pad !!!!!????? need to do this again to make sure of it

Gotta say thanks to Norske for calling my attention back to something I knew years ago and was not paying attention to!!!
    Last edited by indian joe; 02-18-2019 at 07:04 AM.

When not on a bench rest, I find my best accuracy with lever actions comes from resting the very tip of the forend in front of the band on the vee of my shooting sticks with my weak hand under the vee not touching the forend. I don't lean on the gun either, I try to let only the weight of the rifle be supported by the shooting sticks. With this technique, all my rifles are more accurate than I am!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    When not on a bench rest, I find my best accuracy with lever actions comes from resting the very tip of the forend in front of the band on the vee of my shooting sticks with my weak hand under the vee not touching the forend. I don't lean on the gun either, I try to let only the weight of the rifle be supported by the shooting sticks. With this technique, all my rifles are more accurate than I am!
    Thanks all this is exactly the type of info I am looking for.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Try 30 grains IMR 4064 under a 150 grain Sierra. This is a legit 1" load in my Marlins, see no reason why a 94 wouldn't like it.
    I will have to try this load I have that powder and can easily source some 150gr Sierra when I go to town again

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree with the rest. That is fine accuracy. I would not touch it.

It is highly unlikely you will do better with cast bullets, but they may be fun to play with.
    Don Verna

Glad to be of help. I have always found that the .30 WCF is capable of fine accuracy with loads a bit more mild than factory. The load I mentioned is around 2000 fps however I can speak from experience that it kills deer as dead as anything else. Makes a nice wound channel in and out with no signs of bullet fragmenting whatsoever. Also, 28 grains of 4064 under a Lee C309-150-RF shows promise in my 94, haven't had the chance to really wring it out yet though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12