WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Fell back in love with some older Mossbergs, 44 uS, 144 usb and 144!

Boolit Master

Fell back in love with some older Mossbergs, 44 uS, 144 usb and 144!

I have had a Mossberg 144 or variant for the past 25 years, till I sold my last one about 2 years ago. I have found that they will outshoot most of your higher end rifles. Over the past 3 months, I have found deals on 3 of them. First one was a 44 US Govt, with Lyman steel receiver peep sight and a square blade front, in military parkarized finish. The guy I got it off of had had it for 25+ years, got it from CMP unfired supposedly, and he had never fired. He priced it for $260 and I jumped on it immediately. I got home and put some cci mini mags in it and it was shooting to the right, a few cranks on the windage knob had her shooting dead on from 25-50 yds, and shot a tiny bughole group for 5 shots at 25 yds. Action and everything was super stiff, I believe the guy when he said unfired.

The 2nd one was a 144us with a nice walnut stock, but a much heavier than usual barrel, with cold blue turning to brown patina. It had the weaver side mount and a cheap Simmons scope, but the bore was immaculate. I bought it at a local online auction for $155. This rifle had no holes drilled or tapped for sights, or scope grooves for .22 rings machined on the receiver. Much to my surprise, the gun shoots a 5 shot group at 50 yds into 1/2"k with some old T-22 Winchester ammo and on a windless day it put 5 shots under an inch at 100yds, with some RWS subsonic! I will be rebluing this one, hot blued in my shop at home.

The 3rd on is a 144us B, with beautiful blue, a lyman 17 up front with a Mossberg version of the Lyman 48 on the back. The stock was fiddleback black walnut from one end to the other, with a pristine bore. The stock had had a grain crack running thru the pistol group and the owner had spread it open and filled it with stained acra-glass, and refinished the stock. He shipped it in a hard case for $250, and it is stunning to say the least, and shoots as good as it looks! I feel like I got a bargain on all three, just thought I would share. I can send pics if anyone can post them.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have two of the 144’s and they shoot very well.

Boolit Master
    I have a Mossberg 46b-B that I shoot a great deal. I have a couple 146's, a 44 and a couple other 46's. The one I shoot was a gift from my brother-in-law ( hunting/shooting mentor). He bought it new late 40's/early 50's. The one I shoot the most is extraordinarily accurate. I have gotten 6" groups at 200 yards with it. Haven't tried any really special ammunition in it, might do better.