Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First visit to an indoor range

Boolit Buddy

First visit to an indoor range

Like everyone else here, my target shooting zen time is subject to the ebb and flow of work and life. Over the years I have developed a personal range with steel, target stands, tables and barricades to support my addiction. The downside is that it is about an hour away and pretty much uses a half day to enjoy slinging some lead. It just has not been an accessible option for the last 18 months, having only had a few chances with clear weather to go.

My wife, knowing that I will not walk away from commitment and responsibility, surprised me with a membership to an indoor range for my birthday. She’s pretty cool that way. The location would facilitate my being able to get some smaller packets of time without all the windshield time.

The facility is 7 x 25 yard lanes with the expected stalls and mechanical target holder. Floor is painted concrete. Walls and ceiling are acoustic absorbing something. The walls and ceiling of the pit behind the stalls has panels of compressed rubber mould tits from tire mfg. Climate control was comfortable and appears to have controlled laminar airflow, drawing away from the shooting line...no smoke in the face.

I’m going to enjoy the facility. Here’s a few things I have not expected:
    I always wear foam plugs under my walker muffs. I only had the plugs in upon entering with 1 guy shooting a 9mm. Always have both on! Even with all the sound control and the foam plugs the volume is significant.

I usually have the tailgate, benches and tables to spread out on. I’m going to have to get used to a minimalist approach. The 3’ x18” stall counter got crowded really quick.

Bring a cardboard backer board. The airflow causes the target to move. Also, the concussion from the rented SW 500 really moves it. I am seldom startled. That first shot, not knowing he was even there made me flinch.

Outdoor ranges call cease fire for down range. The mechanical target delivery and retrieval seems to always have something in motion down range. Ultimately I think it’s going to improve my focus, but habits have been to cease fire when there is unexpected motion down range.

Lighting really messed with my distance and depth perception. Shadows are constantly changing based on distance. My front sight appearance changed. I’ll have to work on that.

Brass retrieval. They allow handloads and retrieval of your brass. I haven’t been in conflict with anyone so far, but it goes everywhere and will get stepped on. Deal with it.

Bored yet?

Thanks T, it is a cool gift.

Bevan
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Grand Master

That was really thoughtful of your Wife. Everything you listed is just normal stuff for indoor ranges. You will quickly adapt although there may be compromises.

I have never been to an indoor range. Never been to a public range for that matter. My buddy goes to the indoor range in town, even though he's welcome to come down here and shoot even if I'm not going to shoot too. He does come down but don't want to drive 20 miles from his house. It's probably bout ten miles from his house to the range. He don't reload and left some 30-30 brass there, I scolded him. Anybody round my area needs a farm to shoot at PM me and we'll have you over.

Boolit Buddy

Sounds like you have a nice indoor range to shoot at.
    Me, not so much. The indoor range near me is 5 minutes away. I stopped in one day to check it out. 50 foot range with the usual equipment. They wanted me to buy their ammo to shoot, if they don't have your caliber, then you can bring your own.
    I never went back. There was no way I was buying 44 magnums when I can handload it on the cheap. I'll drive 30 minutes to my outdoor gun club and shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

When I was in LA an indoor range was just about my only place to shoot, without a 2+ hour drive. All the ranges I frequented had brooms in the shooting area so I swept my stall/area when I arrived. When I left, I swept again and all the brass was more than likely what I had shot, and I left no trash (range mgr. liked that). The only problem I can remember was a "gang banger" in the stall to my left was shooting a 9mm and I don't know how he did it, but hot brass was flying over the divider and hitting me. The flying brass stopped when I started catching them and tossing them back over the divider...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    A belated Happy B-day! & a very nice gift!

Something to consider to maybe help keep your brass in close proximity to ya is to slow it down a mite. I ran across this idea in another topic & thought you might find it, or something like it to help with keeping your brass close in the indoor range. It might seem strange to use this method, but I think it might save some time for you if you use it, or something like it & it is allowed.

The source for this pic above is here, and was posted by member, dudel:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2209451

There is a little more info about it at the link if you care to look.

G'Luck! & Great shooting!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I'm not a fan of indoor ranges. Very nice of your wife. It beats not shooting at all.....

Boolit Master

A lot of our indoor ranges' rule: if it hits the floor, it's theirs

I shoot revolvers only at those.

double up on plugs and ear muffs.

No fast shooting or double taps

lighting is iffy depending on how many lights have beeen shot out

still better than sitting at home petting the cat
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Bevan

One range I shot at the guys ( a lot of regulars shooting 45 ACP) carried an assortment of various color magic markers. They would run a stripe across the base, each guy using a different color. Made it easier when picking up the brass to get most of yours back.

Boolit Master

I have the same issue in that the outdoor range I prefer is a bit of a drive. For years I avoided shooting indoors, except the occasional monthly IDPA match. That indoor range had bad ventilation, and the staff did not do a good job managing safety. Was muzzle swiped one too many times by people uncasing guns behind me.

Now with a new range in the area, the air is better moved. It supplements my range time.

Congrats on the nice gift from your wife!

One thing I like about the local indoor range is that they have matches every Thursday. Some of them are IDPA but others are "fun" matches. It's a fun night of entertainment for not much money.
    WWG1WGA

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I haven't shot in an indoor range sence i was a kid about 10 or 12 years old. The local gun store had a range in the basement that they would let you use for free.

Boolit Master

I shoot at an indoor range normally once a week (Wednesdays)
    http://www.texaspanhandlepistolclub.com/

I shoot at an outdoor range normally three time a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday) if hunting
    season is not on.
    http://amarillorpc.com/
    and
    http://www.amarillogunclub.org/
    All have their nice points, when it is 15 degrees and windy the indoor range is nice.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Good afternoon,
    We shoot twice a week at our local indoor range. I am always searching for the target retrieval box/switch at the outdoor range I don’t even bring a spotting scope anymore, just bring in my target for a look when I’m shooting my practice round. I figure if they have the system may as well use it!!!
    We have never had to cancel a match in 5 years due to weather.....I wouldn’t have been shooting last week...it was -30C and a wind blowing....Brrrr We were all shooting in shirt sleeves and not a shiver amongst us
    I still like a nice day and the 50 yard line outside. Plus I get a bit more exercise changing targets.
    Choices are always good.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I enjoy my indoor range. SharpShooters in St. Louis. Good ventilation, let me keep all the brass I want within reason, they keep an eye on the safety hazards, and are very friendly. One of the RO's is a black powder guy, casts, and has invited me to shoot some of his muzzleloaders. That was an eye opener! lots of fun. Only downfall, its 25 yards max. Still fun for mousefart rifle loads.

Boolit Master
    I am a member of an excellent outdoor range that’s 27 miles away. Fortunately I currently live a few minutes from the turnpike and it takes 32 minutes to get there. There’s also an indoor range that I use that’s 13 miles away that takes 25 minutes to get to.

I get a lot more shooting time per hour indoors, but still prefer outdoors, but am thankful that I have both options.

You have a good wife — keep her!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

I would like an indoor range close to me (So. Coastal Oregon). So far there's only two or max three places to shoot, and none are considered a decent range. The one I frequent when my 2 wheel drive PU can safely get there is only 85-90 yards, a flat spot in the hills 10 miles out of town. I can see years ago it was taken care of with a chest high table and 2 benches cemented in. A few years ago the loggers used it for a staging area and bulldozed the benches. After a fire two years ago the "clean up" loggers and the fire fighting personnel kinda messed it up even further. Now it's mostly a place to dump old appliances and shoot them up. And the local morons have shot up what's left of the benches and there used to be a nice sigh, as it can't be seen from the dirt road, but they shot it up too...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

My issue with indoor ranges have me shunning them for the most part. Health hazard; Unless the fan system is properly setup & cleaned often & running properly, you are exposed to a lot more lead contamination than outdoors. As you note it is really loud. Lighting is often very poor. In general, no work from a holster or rapid fire drills. Far to close a proximity to idiot shooters. I have been swept with a loaded gun far more times than I like at indoor ranges. Cost. Don't let any of that reduce your enjoyment, just be aware of the downsides.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    The range I use is indoor 25/50/100/150/200 old rail tunnel .I have to use scopes on my rifles as the lighting is not as good as daylight for my old eyes .I notice how 200 yards looks a long way away indoors ,outdoors it looks like 50 .always use plugs and headphone ear protectors in the tunnel especially when people use 50 cal with brakes.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    The range I use is indoor 25/50/100/150/200 old rail tunnel .I have to use scopes on my rifles as the lighting is not as good as daylight for my old eyes .I notice how 200 yards looks a long way away indoors ,outdoors it looks like 50 .always use plugs and headphone ear protectors in the tunnel especially when people use 50 cal with brakes.
    Is there a website with some pictures? That is a clever use for an old structure. Then it gets me thinking about Wiley Coyote chasing the Road Runner into the tunnel.

Bevan
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast