Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: M1 Garand and cast observations over 6 months

Boolit Master

After shooting cast bullets out of my Garand for some time, I always scrubbed it out with chore boy, and it appeared clean from the muzzle. Recently, I bought a bore cam, and it showed that I was missing spots of leading in the bore, that scrubbing could not touch. I found that Lewis Lead remover system carries a 30/32 caliber head as well as the usual 38/357, 44 cal and 45 cal. After screwing it on a cleaning rod, and pulling it through the bore twice, it proved to be effective. Just trying to pass on some cleaning knowledge to you guys that don’t have a bore cam. Good shooting!
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I used my load listed above for our local Cast Bullet Association military bench rest shoot yesterday......

What a joke!!! What an embarrassment!!!!! It all went to Hades in a handbasket. Damn thing was landing them everywhere!!!! Back to the Drawing board. I didn’t even keep score after the first target. It was awful. Just used the rest of the rounds to try to make sense of what happened. Rounds landing everywhere. No rhyme or reason.

Boolit Master
    This thread finally got me off bottom dead center with my Garand. Had never reloaded for it but kept a boatload of Lake City brass I got from a bulk purchase of ammo at CMP many years ago.

After loading up some 168gn Amax and getting decent results I moved on to the two cast bullets I use in my .308. The Acc 31-210E (Eagan copy) and the NOE 165XCB, both powder coated. For powder I am using IMR4166. That is the 'new improved' version of 4064.

Both shoot really well, and probably would do better if I could see the bullseye better 2-3" with 35gn of powder driving the 210gn bullet. I size them at .210 and the nose at .302. The rifling just marks the powder coat on the nose section so the fit is pretty good. No velocity on it yet.

The 165's do really well on 34gn. Just under 2000fps and also 2" groups.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Any data/observations with 311299's that have been lube sized and NOT powder coated? Intrigued, but not interested in painting bullets.
    I felt the same way until my daughter started dating a guy who powder coated. It was either start powder coating or not get to see my granddaughter so I gave in. Found out it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I still use lube on my Snider and Gibbs slugs so it still enables me to smell that sweet smell. Living the dream I guess you could say.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    post deleted
    Last edited by LenH; 03-16-2021 at 10:09 AM. Reason: double post

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Not sure about the 311-299 bullet but I have a 311-199-SP-K5 NOE bullet. I couldn't get it to shoot out of a 1-12 twist .308 but I want to try in my Garand.
    Just curious about this bullet. I might try and powder coat and see if it will shoot. I have plenty of IMR 4895.

Well, y'all hurry and find out what works best, I just bought my new to me M1 yesterday.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234