WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand and cast observations over 6 months

Moderator Emeritus

NewTire: I had posted my primer choices in ALL gas guns in post #38, here above, had you not viewed it. I see no reason they would not be more than suitable in any/all gas gun recipes.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Just remember another thing about M1 Garands and M1A s
    You Must be sure that the leg on the firing pin is not peened or damaged.
    And check firing pin protrusion.
    Also check the surface for damage where the firing pin leg holds the firing pin back
    until bolt is fully closed.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Instead of the Tula primers I use Unix nato spec and they seem to work as well.
    jim

Boolit Man
    I have been making some fine progress with Cast Boolits and the M1 Garand. It has been an educational experience to say the least. I have one more clip I want to shoot at the range to confirm the load, and if it is good, I will post the results. I feel pretty confident that the load is good, but I have been wrong before!! Hopefully, the end of this week, I will have the results.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used the "Bob S." load for years in CMP Highpower events and it is hard to beat, certainly shooting as good as M2 ball if not better. Over the years, I've come to settle on 40 gr. of IMR4831 with either the Lee 200 gr. bullet or the RCBS 200 gr. Sil. bullet over a tuft of Dacron and a Win. or CCI primer in a LC military case. For some reason, I get better accuracy with old, military surplus 4831 than I do with the new stuff. Also, I have used 40 gr. of Accurate 3100 when it can be found and it seems to shoot a little tighter than the "Bob S." load in my 1953 International Harvester "cornbinder" Garand.

Thanks for sharing your data. I found 311299, sized to 0.311" with 36-37 gr of 4895 works very nicely in my Garand. I haven't done any bench rest shooting with it to determine accuracy but it seems to group quite nicely.

Super Moderator

My load is: 34.5 gr H4895, Lyman 311299 sized to .311 and lubed with WL 2500+, CCI 34 primer, LC68 brass. This gives right @ 1900fps in my H&R Garand. It cycles reliably and is very accurate.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for keeping the thread energetic while I was gone.

Primer choices I believe are optional to be honest and don’t matter so much. I would prob advise away from softer ones such as federal.

These garlands can do such great things w cast and I believe keeps us shooting back on budget.

Boolit Buddy
    The slow powders will probably wreck the operating rod at full jacketed bullet speeds. I have had good results with IMR 4831 and Accurate 3100 with the Lee 180 and 200 gr. rn bullets as well as the 311041. I used CCI military primers and a 1/4 sheet of TP as a filler. The 3100 loads left a lot of unburned kernels in the barrel and chamber causing dented cases and powder left in the action. I only went up to 38.0 grains so it would probably have cleaned up if I had gone a grain or two higher. All loads from 36.0 to 38.0 grains produced groups about half the size of what I get from LC surplus loads. The 311041 bullet really did well over 4831 at 39.0 grains producing 2123 fps and groups half the size of the other loads. You can tell the action is kinda ideling along, piling the brass up 2-3 feet out.

Boolit Man
    Here is what I have so far with my Cast Boolit load for the M1 Garand...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 Cast 1.2020.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	255832
    The load info is 36.9 grs of IMR 3031, NOE 311299 boolit cast from Lyman#2 and water quenched, Hornady Gas Check, Sized to .310, Lyman Alox (NRA) lube, WLR primer, LC68 Brass, 3.295 OAL, Partial FL Sized.
    First shot was fouling shot, and the rest grouped pretty well for my old eyes, although I prefer no fliers, LOL.
    I will try this load again to confirm repeatability. Action works flawlessly, and no slam fires using the WLR primers. If these results are repeatable, I will chronograph the load and consider my development completed... we shall see.

Boolit Master
    Just going by what I'm seeing, I wonder if the .309" sizing might be causing your leading issues. These other guys are getting pretty good results it seems but sizing bigger. Might be worth a shot to try .310" or .311". Soon as I get a chance, I'm going to cast up some 200+ gr. Boolits & give my Garand a go.

All this good info narrows things down. Thanks everyone!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I use 37 grains of H4895 under a gas checked RCBS 30-180. It's gas checked, sized to .310.

Cycles in four different M1's with good accuracy in all of them and no leading.
    I loaded up 500+ a couple of months ago, hope I have enough to last through the shooting season.

Considered trying the Lyman 31141 boolit but I ran out of 06 brass. Next reloading season I'll probably give it a try.

This load plus 400 loaded with either 16 grains of 2400 or 14 grains of Blue Dot ran me out of empty brass. The light loads are for the 03A3.

An earlier poster commented on leading with a Lee boolit sized 309, I'd be curious if sizing at .310 would help.
    Didn't see your post and just asked the same question. I know one thing for certain, undersized boolits caused severe leading in a different gun of mine. Bought those at a gun show. They melted down and made bigger boolits "silver alloy" and all. I still keep a couple around just in case the werewolves start causing trouble.

Boolit Buddy
    I have killed plenty of deer with the Lee 309-200 over 35grn of H4064 it shoots about 3” off hand out of MY parts matching 43Winchester garandClick image for larger version. 

Name:	73334B8A-4509-43B7-82B0-C5FA9F53BA09.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	255854

Boolit Man
    Same load as above, EXCEPT 1/10 grain less powder.... a little change makes a big difference... I will keep working on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 Cast 2.2020.JPG 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	256729

Boolit Master

I load PC boolits at minimum charges of IMR3031 to cycle both my M1s.
    Left is 37g behind NOE-311-150SP (153g) & next 2 are 34g behind Ideal 311413 (171g)
    Brass ejections at around 3 o'clock-ish which is easier to pick up than loading fast & eject way upfront.
    Gotta love them cmp shooters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1_3031.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	257134
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Man
    Sig556, those groups are awesome.... I sincerely doubt I will be able to match those with my shot out barrel. Maybe I should try a lighter boolit. I was thinking of buying a mold with larger bands farther up to the mid section of the boolit. the 311299 boolit design does not give much support for the middle section of the boolit while in the barrel.

IMR 3031 powder is quite a versatile powder!... especially with Cast Boolits.

Thank you for sharing those pics!!! Very nice!!
    Last edited by varminter66; 02-21-2020 at 01:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    varmiter66 try the 314299 it may solve the problem.
    jim

Boolit Master

Left & middle were from a CMP RM1SPCLRACK with new CBI barrel while rightmost was FG with an old SA barrel (TE-2/ME-0+).
    Quote Originally Posted by varminter66 View Post
    Sig556, those groups are awesome.... I sincerely doubt I will be able to match those with my shot out barrel. Maybe I should try a lighter boolit. I was thinking of buying a mold with larger bands farther up to the mid section of the boolit. the 311299 boolit design does not give much support for the middle section of the boolit while in the barrel.

IMR 3031 powder is quite a versatile powder!... especially with Cast Boolits.

Thank you for sharing those pics!!! Very nice!!
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Man
    Hello Jim... I actually slugged the barrel (.30945), and checked the diameter of my cast boolits with a Mic (.313 Linotype), and believe the 311299 mold I have is a fairly good match... from my observations of load testing, and closely watching the lead fouling each time I shoot, I believe I need a little more lube, and/or more band support to ensure better alignment and rifling grip in the bore. I do know the rifling is not as deep and crisp as a newer barrel would have, but it is still there... If money were no issue, I would have that new barrel on the Garand, and have her tuned tighter than a fiddle!!! LOL!!! but it's that damned money thing....

Boolit Buddy
    I am having decent luck with a load I worked up using info gleaned from this forum in one of my beloved M1’s.

311299 sized to .311.
    WLR primers.
    34.5 grains H4895.
    OAL 3.270”.
    HXP brass.

Started at 32 grains and went up to 36 grains in half grain increments. 34.5 grains gave me the best accuracy and works the action nice and soft.

Thanks to all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast