Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Graf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get more BP in a .45-70 case

Thank you I will try it.

Boolit Master

I could only load 50gns of FF without using a drop tube and adding a card, 1/8in greese cookie, wad and another card. This was also keeping OAL below 2.60in.

Yesterday, I built a drop tube and was able to load 80gns, but the OAL was much longer and I only used a wad. I fired it out my back door and it made a good crack! It was getting late so I had to stop for the day. I hope to experiment more today.

I noticed that with a drop tube, I could get ten grains more powder in, but it wouldn’t compress as much as without the drop tube. I will do some more comparisons today.

Boolit Master

greg, what is yer prime goal for building these cartridges - hunting, target, plinking? is your PPB a bore rider as i expect i should be? if so, cartridge OAL don't mean squat. just drop tube as much powder as ya can directly into a clean, primed, fire formed case, push in a wad flush to the case mouth (NO grease cookie), compress .10", push in yer PPB - if it's loose, *squeeze* (don't crimp) the case mouth with a taper or sizing die just enuf to keep it from falling out yet can still turn 'round and be pulled out with fingers, and go shoot. this is yer start load and experiment with powder and compression first.
    NRA PATRIOT LIFE ~ NRA RSO ~ Black Powder Gang ~ Traditional Muzzleloading Association ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ Trad Gang
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ liberos vivere, mori libero ~ The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I could only load 50gns of FF without using a drop tube and adding a card, 1/8in greese cookie, wad and another card. This was also keeping OAL below 2.60in.

Yesterday, I built a drop tube and was able to load 80gns, but the OAL was much longer and I only used a wad. I fired it out my back door and it made a good crack! It was getting late so I had to stop for the day. I hope to experiment more today.

I noticed that with a drop tube, I could get ten grains more powder in, but it wouldn’t compress as much as without the drop tube. I will do some more comparisons today.

Greg
    This may or may not make sense to you
    I am still on my learning curve and I have not yet got to the paper patch bit yet (which I reckon is a long way around this racetrack from the startline) So you might think this is two different games and to a fair extent it is but there is a decent amount of crosover too

The PP boys shoot a bore rider slug - us GG blokes can look at that and sus our chamber out - we can do bore riders if we want - but at least we look at making a load that is right up on the lands or even the first driving band engraved some

They use a decent wad so the base of the boolit dont burn up - we do that too.

Drop tube powder and weighed charges - careful assembly of the whole load - makes a difference

fouling conrol is a term they use - a good grease groove boolit? - blow tube? - clean between shots? - (I have a high level of resistance to that - but I will do it if and when It makes the last bit of difference) whatever it takes to shoot accurately first shot to last - take your pick but one of em is gonna be mandatory.

I have been campaigning a lever gun (Uberti 1876 in 45/75)

Attachment 235846

I got it to a point where I reckon the rifle and the load is capable of this (5@ 100yards) but most often the nut behind the butt comes up a tad short

Name:  september 12 CBE.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  9.0 KB

Like here ! I walked up for a look after three shots - thought I could put a couple more in that group - hah! seems like anytime I leave the bench I come back to it with just a little different sight picture - shot another nice three shot cluster but couldnt put in in the same place. Stiill not so shabby for an old dude with a cowboy gun.

This is my single loader round -
    45/75 case as fired - 45/70 shell brimful of FFg powder - scooped - then weighed out and topped up to 72 grains of homebrew powder - 45 thou HDPE overpowder wad - or two juice box wads works just as well - light compression - 466 grain CBE boolit is seated .300 in the case - and I use a taper crimp die just enough that the flared case mouth doesnt snag on the chamber - one full lube groove and driving band is outside the case and the front driving band is just touching the rifling - the edge of the case mouth is right at the end of the chamber. Cases are unsized - case necks are unsized - just a tiny flare enough so the boolits dont shave when loading.

The boolit is a shortened CBE - their copy of a Lyman postell (which is not really a Postell design at all) it carries enough lube to shoot a 12 shot string clean - so these targets are shot "dirty bore" if its a hot dry day I will use a blow tube one or two breaths only between shots - most times dont use it.
    I chronographed this load at Average 1244FPS, twenty feet from the muzzle, extreme spread was exactly 10FPS.
    Last edited by indian joe; 02-12-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Boolit Master

Iíve had some new developments I wish to post, but donít have the figures at hand. I hope to post them tomorrow.

Boolit Master

in a chamber meant for lubed over bore bullets, with some amount of freebore, the typical difference 'tween bore riders that are lubed and those that are patched is how much of the bullet is seated in the case, and how that amount of bullet reacts in the freebore area. this is one reason why i prefer paper patched bore riders. another reason is case powder capacity. i just loaded brand new .40-65win starline brass with 71 grains of swiss 1-1/2f under an AM 392 grain PPB bore rider with a pair of carton wads and .060" compression. the bullet is in the case .115" below its mouth. after fire forming, the real loading will begin and if need be i should be able to get upwards of 75 grains stuffed in with similar light compression; then adjusting the powder charge and compression for initial consistent accuracy testing.
    NRA PATRIOT LIFE ~ NRA RSO ~ Black Powder Gang ~ Traditional Muzzleloading Association ~ Buffalo Rifles ~ Trad Gang
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ liberos vivere, mori libero ~ The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12