Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone build a Form 1 Suppressor?

Agreed, the threaded tube seems to be the most important part and therefore the most expensive and likely the best place to upgrade. I can make a decent suppressor with a half-assed Monocore built with a drill press, or make baffles out of freeze plugs or washers. But a half-assed tube gets you nowhere.

Boolit Master

To the saddle analogy , wages and cost of living , I find it funny that something so easy to build with the basics done a hundred years ago is so funny , get with the fact it is a part to lessen the noise , nfa national f a you fill in blanks

I used plastic small plastic containers like these for baffles in .22 suppressors:

https://progrossist.dk/wp-content/up...5157111948.jpg

Cut a bar the lathe where the container would just fit onto, and drilled a hole in the center of the bar. I then reversed the drill in its chuck and used the rear end to punch the center holes by using the tailstock as "stamping press" At the same time the baffle was trimmed to length using a sharp tool-bit. Baffles of this type are easy to stack and don't add much weight, but won't hold up to any sort of high pressure cartridges.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Bub
    Form 1 Efile is flying right now if anyone is thinking about an SBR or making a suppressor. I just got one back in 17 days, filed to stamp in my inbox.
    Last edited by dyecocker1; 02-28-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Wowza. Probly should have done the efile then. Ah well live and learn.

So got my application rejected on an ATF mistake. Said I didn’t include payment, but it’s already been cashed. I will say it’s been pretty painless getting it sorted out.

Also in talking with the ATF folks, I learned some things:

1) efile if you can, the process is mostly automated and is quicker by 8 months or so.
    2) avoid #1 for serial number as they have so many who use it, it forces them to manually process the claim.

The serial number issue makes sense. I used a combination of the initials of my trust some zero's and then a one. I had no issues with that when I efiled.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Kind of makes you wonder why you can buy off the shelf air rifles with cans and I have seen my first BP rifle with a can on it I have to check but I think you have to be 18 years old to buy them no BG check.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

You can buy 34mm cups that will slide down a mag lite tube to make baffles with there a lot nicer than freeze plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Suppressor Form 1
    submitted online 3/21/19
    received cover letter 3/29/19
    mailed fingerprint cards 3/30/19
    received approved form 1 4/9/19

Now if they could do the same with form 4's.....

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    Suppressor Form 1
    submitted online 3/21/19
    received cover letter 3/29/19
    mailed fingerprint cards 3/30/19
    received approved form 1 4/9/19

Now if they could do the same with form 4's.....

Shelly

Under a month? Trust?

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    Under a month? Trust?
    It doesn’t really matter. Form 1’s are coming back really fast. Form 4’s are still months out.

From my experience, of course.

Boolit Buddy
    Cheese,
    The form 1 was in my name as an individual.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I think there is a niche for a supressor mfg to offer to recore form 1 cans, and to make suggestions about the internal dimensions that would be perfect for their baffle stack.

Person does form 1, makes can with crude baffles. Person sends can to mfg who fills it with cutting edge tech baffles and sends it back.

Some mfg will already recore older cans like the MAC cans and other old tech stuff.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

There is probably some liability issues that some SOT's don't want to deal with doing recores.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    There is probably some liability issues that some SOT's don't want to deal with doing recores.
    Well PLenty of them do it already . Niche market . I have an old school wood stocked Marlin Papoose I would love to do an Integral 16" supressor on .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    I think there is a niche for a supressor mfg to offer to recore form 1 cans, and to make suggestions about the internal dimensions that would be perfect for their baffle stack.

Person does form 1, makes can with crude baffles. Person sends can to mfg who fills it with cutting edge tech baffles and sends it back.

Some mfg will already recore older cans like the MAC cans and other old tech stuff.

Bill
    That’s what I did. I don’t have the machines to make the baffles I wanted. I bought all the parts I wanted machined. I pressed some freeze plugs, stuck them in my tube, then sent my stuff to a guy that was legally able to recore cans.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    That’s what I did. I don’t have the machines to make the baffles I wanted. I bought all the parts I wanted machined. I pressed some freeze plugs, stuck them in my tube, then sent my stuff to a guy that was legally able to recore cans.
    To me that makes a lot of sense. If somebody with a licensed baffle stack (some mfg lease the right to use a stack from the designer of the stack) would provide the dimensions...they could even use a website like some bullet mold makers do that allows you to design a bullet. We could do Eform 1, build the can, send it to them for recore, and have a really nice can within 60 days probably.

Tons of ideas like my integral 16.1" Marlin papoose are out there. 22 rimfire stuff especially should be pretty plug and play on baffle stacks.

3D metal printing will probably be the future of a lot of suppressor stuff, the $200 tax and long wait on form 4 is really crippling the suppressor market.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    To me that makes a lot of sense. If somebody with a licensed baffle stack (some mfg lease the right to use a stack from the designer of the stack) would provide the dimensions...they could even use a website like some bullet mold makers do that allows you to design a bullet. We could do Eform 1, build the can, send it to them for recore, and have a really nice can within 60 days probably.

Tons of ideas like my integral 16.1" Marlin papoose are out there. 22 rimfire stuff especially should be pretty plug and play on baffle stacks.

3D metal printing will probably be the future of a lot of suppressor stuff, the $200 tax and long wait on form 4 is really crippling the suppressor market.

Bill
    Personally, I believe all the “hearing protection act” talk really crippled the suppressor market. Several people I know were ready to buy/make suppressors before the talk of no longer needing a stamp became so prevalent. People quit buy and just waited. Plus the crack-down on parts suppliers at the same time for form1 builders. Then the government making trusts so inconvenient for anybody. But that’s just my opinion though so take that for what it’s worth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast