RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone build a Form 1 Suppressor?

Anyone build a Form 1 Suppressor?

Getting ready to go down that road and wanted to get first person info. I have googled it to death and found info on other forums, but I won’t create an account on most forums as the attitude is childish to put it mildly.

Also for those that don’t know, a Form 1 is the Legal way to build a suppressor without a license, so I will be following all applicable laws.

Boolit Master

I have, a 30 caliber that works very well on my 300 BO 16" AR and 7.5" encore pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I have, a 30 caliber that works very well on my 300 BO 16" AR and 7.5" encore pistol.
    What did you use for baffles?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    What did you use for baffles?
    freeze plugs, formed a cone in them and center drilled (once the tax stamp was approved of course) DO NOT modify a freeze plug until the tax stamp has been approved.

Nice. How have they held up?

Boolit Master

Lookie here. You still need the tax stamp at least.
    https://www.silencershop.com/atf-form-service.html

Yes.... That would be the point of a form 1, you complete it (including $200) and in return they send you a stamp.

I did a form 1 with formed freeze plugs. Most drill the plugs based on the center of the forming which can be slightly off. I used a buddy's mill with a rotary table and milled mine centered on the OD. I have very little shift with my suppressor unlike most. And yes there is a second stamp for the SBR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190210_205014.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	235763
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master

Yes.... That would be the point of a form 1, you complete it (including $200) and in return they send you a stamp.
    Yes, that's how it is done....all quite legally. It's how I made mine back in '81.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

My hesitation in using freeze plugs is the weight; I have heard they make for a heavy suppressor, but I have no frame of reference. Would it be cumbersome on the end of a lightweight .22 rifle?

How many you planning on putting in there? Realistically for a small 22 lr you might be cheaper to get a Rebel SOS 22 when they go on sale. Prices for parts were not as cheap as they used to be.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Well I was really thinking just one or two and the rest with aluminum. As far as price goes, there is no commercial suppressor out there for around $100.

Also, I plan to use this on a 9mm carbine as well. (I cannot justify the cost of dedicated suppressors, nor the expense of a commercial 9mm)

I know my product will be subpar compared to commercial offerings, but it will be better than the nothing in have now!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yes, that's how it is done....all quite legally. It's how I made mine back in '81.
    Is that suppressor still in use?

What tools do you have access to? You could likely use some premade "solvant trap storage cups" or whatever they're calling the baffles with no holes in them but they're not cheap when you add them all up. I've got two form one stamps waiting for me to get motivated. 22 will be a monocore out of either TI or 17-4 and the 38 will be K or M baffles with the first couple 17-3 then the rest TI.

I have built a number of them. Depends on what tools you have and what caliber you are intending to use. Aluminum, K baffles work quite well for lots of stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Is that suppressor still in use?
    Yes, I have rebuilt it (if you fill out one part of the form correctly rebuilding it yourself poses no problems) twice.

Attachment 235776
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Well I was really thinking just one or two and the rest with aluminum. As far as price goes, there is no commercial suppressor out there for around $100.

Also, I plan to use this on a 9mm carbine as well. (I cannot justify the cost of dedicated suppressors, nor the expense of a commercial 9mm)

I know my product will be subpar compared to commercial offerings, but it will be better than the nothing in have now!
    You are probably not going to come in under $100. With a Ti tube and aluminum caps and formed plugs I think I was at around $160 in parts. That is not far off from Rebel's offerings.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Out there shooting in a Tee-shirt??? Ok, I am Jealous. And freezing.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Mine will likely be all aluminum, with exception to the first few baffles.

Just mailed off my forms to ATF and CLEO. We shall see how long it takes, but I figure I have a few months to decide what I want to do.

I built one few years back for 22lr. Used 1” alum tube and alum stock for the endcap and k-baffles.
    The mount is stainless as is the first k-baffle with an extended blast chamber built into it.
    When I broke down to cost, I think i had $10 in metal and $20 in cerakote, not counting the extra materials I ordered and have left over.

Building my second unit now out of all titanium for 300blackout.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast