RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Sausage Spice Recipes

Boolit Master
    Bought myself a meat grinder and sausage stuffer for this past Christmas, only made 2 batches so far. Here is one site that I found some recipes on,https://www.meatprocessingproducts.c...e-recipes.html, so far everyone that has tried Country sausage #2 has loved it.

Boolit Master

Get a hank of fresh hog casings from your local slaughterhouse. Don't buy frozen as there is often a lot of holes. The leggs mentioned is a good breakfast sausage (southerners think, anyhow) The recipes with nutmeg, allspice, cloves is what I associate with a cured smoked type sausage. I mostly like em all, Italian types the least. Here's my last batch of andouille...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	235717 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	235718
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Pertnear, restaurant in Castroville serves Alsatian sausage. That stuff is outstanding! I make it a point to eat there anytime I visit, sadly have not been for awhile, because the daughter moved.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

good stuff over at sausagemaker.com as well.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for using pork butts. They are the perfect combination of fat to lean for sausage. They often go on sale for $.99 a pound so stock up when you find them. We have 80 pounds in the freezer as I type.
    East Tennessee

Frisco Spices is a sister company to the Hobart Commercial Kitchen dealer in Omaha. They have a complete line of seasonings and sausage mixes, with excellent I instructions. We like their Summer Salami, and use their Pepperoni for jerky seasoning. They are happy to ship anything you need. We add the Citric acid just before stuffing. We are very happy with their products! Just finished 100# of sausage and 25 # of Pepperoni sticks today. Tom

Boolit Master

In the past I have used Watkins. Raleigh might have some if they are still around.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Leggs #10 is my go to breakfast spice. I usually add some extra sage.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Vendor Sponsor

Waltons.inc has supplies, spices, equipment on their web site plus on their meatgistics ink lots of info/ recipes / helps
    Thesausagemaker.com also good
    Pork butt is perfect fat balance for sausage and brats
    Spent a year trying different breakfast sausage mixes both commercial and web recipes. Wife likes leggs #10 the best
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 02-11-2019 at 08:32 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Pertnear, restaurant in Castroville serves Alsatian sausage. That stuff is outstanding! I make it a point to eat there anytime I visit, sadly have not been for awhile, because the daughter moved.
    Yes, the original recipe Alsatian sausage was fantastic. Glad to hear someone was still making it. Been a while since I've been to Castroville since all the old kinfolks have died off. I'll definitely look for some sausage next I pass through there.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Sage, salt, pepper, onion powder, sage, garlic powder, sage a little red pepper, more sage and some sage. Add other stuff to taste.

BD, I'm a sage lover too, but a little goes a loooong way!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    My experience is with natural hog casings which I order on Amazon. One has to soak them for a bit to get out the salt they are packed in. My experience with sheep casings is they are not salted and have to be kept refrigerated. Many distributors do not have refrigerated warehouses and the sheep casings are not good when received. Have a couple packages of the natural pig casings waiting for time to make sausage. Part of the fun is to mix up one's own spice mix and try different sausages. Lots of info on the Web.

You know exactly what went into the sausage you are eating.

Boolit Master

Hog casings must be refrigerated as well please!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Hog casings must be refrigerated as well please!
    I don't know if you are referring to unsalted or not, but the ones I get are salted--and I mean salted. They are referred to as dry casings and they are well pickled. Sold in stores in packs and bundles unrefrigerated. Soak in a 5 gallon bucket for at least an hour, preferrably overnight and flushed really well. Of course, any not used are frozen for safety and future use. Could put 'em in an old coffee can and fill with salt, they would probably last forever. That's how the people of the south preserved their pork 200-250 years ago. Cut it into chunks and pack it in layers of salt.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Salted hog casings are just about indestructible, but they will spoil if mishandled. They should be stored under refrigeration to keep the smell down. The holes in natural casings are from round worms. Fun fact: Casings haven't been produced as usable product in the US for years. All the Hog casings sold in the US are imported from China. In several hog slaughtering plants I visit, salvage the intestines, salt them, box them and send them to the PRC for further processing. You can imagine the difficulty finding a person who wants to clean and scrape intestines for a living, that's why it got moved out of this country. And all the Processing plants that use casings get them from the same source. This does not include sheep or collagen casings.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Salted hog casings are just about indestructible, but they will spoil if mishandled. They should be stored under refrigeration to keep the smell down. The holes in natural casings are from round worms. Fun fact: Casings haven't been produced as usable product in the US for years. All the Hog casings sold in the US are imported from China. In several hog slaughtering plants I visit, salvage the intestines, salt them, box them and send them to the PRC for further processing. You can imagine the difficulty finding a person who wants to clean and scrape intestines for a living, that's why it got moved out of this country. And all the Processing plants that use casings get them from the same source. This does not include sheep or collagen casings.
    You got me curious about where the casings come from. I snooped around on the net, and found 3 places, Waltoninc, Sausagemaker, and Deweid, a major supplier of various stores, including Allied Kenco, Houston, where I get my supplies. Waltoninc & Sausagemaker each indicate their casings come from the U.S. or Denmark. Deweid lists Europe, N. America and China. I can't imagine with the modern pressures of competition, that cleaning intestines isn't well automated. Probably a lot of intestines come from China, I grant you that, but another thing you need to keep in mind, is that intestines are in a big part of Asian cuisine. I figure they have plenty of market for them over there.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

They come back in 50 KG barrels and repackaged at the final destination (US) if they are to be resold at retail. It is fairly automated......now. Wasn't always that way. Stateside, the automated process consists of removing the contents and rinsing the intestine. As to removing the inner and outer layers of the intestine it is a scraping process. The way I understand it, is extremely difficult to calibrate (difference in thickness) a machine to do without significant loss due to tearing. In all my years as an Inspector, I have never seen a casing produced (into a realistic amount) into a final, usable product and practically every plant that slaughters over a couple thousand a day, saves intestines for export. Chitterlings are different, they are just cleaned out, rinsed and chopped up. I am required to check for letters of guarantee for wholesomeness from the producers and importers and without exception, it's China. Ironically it's not even classified as edible until it's stuffed. A non meat ingredient if you will. If you look, it doesn't bear an inspection legend. In all fairness, I have not been to every pork cut in the US, perhaps there is a bouquet operation in this country that may produce it's own casings but the cost would be right up there. I can't speak for the Danes, they might do their own, they have a long history of meat processing. I have some pretty good first hand knowledge that most if not all meat packers do not want their customers to know where exactly in the world their product originated. There was a requirement, long since rescinded, that required that all meat and poultry be identified on the label as to the country of origin . Needless to say , the industry pushed back hard due to consumer perception. Everything imported into this country is reinspected before it's allowed into this country and requirements of the exporting country has to meet or exceed our standards, these are verified continually for compliance. Once into this country, it can be labeled the same as domestically produced meat and poultry. Sorry for being long winded.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Jeff Michael, thanks for sharing your knowledge. About to take the package out of the refrigerator and take a look at it.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice and leads. I ordered some Leggs #10 and some Andouille spice to try out. I have not ordered Hog casings yet. Even the ones I saw that came in a bucket salted said to refrigerate but they would last a year so we need to make room for them. I'm thinking of getting a small fridge and keep it in the garage.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast