RepackboxGraf & SonsTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Your Advice on a 45-70

Ruger #1 , not heavy ,strong, and easy to scope
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Buddy
    I had an H&R Buffalo Classic. Between the trigger, recoil and a wandering zero I couldn’t learn to love it.
    Found a T/C Katahdin on the used rack and paid too much for it but it’s a tack driver with my 360gr RD over Varget loads shooting sub 2” groups at 100 yards with a 2.5x scope. Still kicks like a mule with a toothache but just doesn’t seem as obnoxious as the H&R. The 20” barrel does work well in thick woods or the blind. I filled a doe tag with mine last year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Unless you're going to be shooting very long range (as in competition, like silhouette), you're probably better off with the faster twist....for two reasons. The faster twist does allow lighter bullets to stabilize better (if you call a 300 or 350g bullets light), and those are a lot easier on the shooting end. Even these "lighter bullets" will completely pass through all but the very largest deer when shot at from end to end. My Win 1885 shoots 350g bullets hunting OK, but it definitely shoots 405g and up a lot better. Since I only use the gun for deer hunting and casual group shooting at my personal range, I'd probably be better off shooting lighter bullets. Even at that, the difference isn't great. I'm getting 1moa with 405g bullets at 100 yards and 1.5" with the 350g bullets. I doubt the deer know the difference.
    This sounds back to the front to me - slower twist for lighter boolits - faster twist for heavier boolits was always the accepted story ??????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    This sounds back to the front to me - slower twist for lighter boolits - faster twist for heavier boolits was always the accepted story ??????
    Think your right about that /my C Sharps 18 twist shoots 500gr ++++ great , and the Marlin 1895 liked 300-350 grain . Or at least my shoulder did

I have owned several H & R handis and a CVA break action in 45-70 and they both shot very well.
    I sold the CVA as I own 7 others in that caliber and I can't warm up to black plastic.
    The 45-70 handis have become smokeless muzzleloaders and shoot great with a sabot and 40 cal.
    The Henry wold be my first choice now if I were looking to buy a break action 45-70 single shot.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    I think that 1:14 twist is the standard for the .458 Win Mag. I've heard that the fast twist is not for stabilizing the bullet during flight so much as it's to keep the bullet tracking straight while penetrating through the critter you just shot.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I mis-spoke. Yes, the faster twist is for heavier bullets. I was having a "duh" moment. I just went through this myself with a .357max and a 1:20 twist.....won't shoot heavy bullets as well as the lighter ones.

Don't buy anything until you look at a marlin guide gun in stainless.

Boolit Master
    What conditor 22 said .got the sbl.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I jumped in today and bought a H&R Buffalo Classic at our local club's Buy,Sell & Swap Day. It has a few dings on the stock, but looks like it had very little use...I think I got it at a good price.. the trigger is very crisp and I'm guessing about 4#... now I will have to look at the sights...should be easy to put a scope on if I choose that route...I have 3 or 4 Leupolds taken off other rifles that could be used... Thanks to all for your help
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12