RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seen my grail gun today

Boolit Buddy
    "...cause some day I'll be old and might not be able to muster the eyes for blade rear sighting." Firstly... that's age-ist and whippersnapperish. Secondly... something some of us old gray beards have documented over the years is that you don't regret the things you've done in your youth... only those things you did not do. Buy the gun.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post
    "...cause some day I'll be old and might not be able to muster the eyes for blade rear sighting." Firstly... that's age-ist and whippersnapperish. Secondly... something some of us old gray beards have documented over the years is that you don't regret the things you've done in your youth... only those things you did not do. Buy the gun.

Oh Man... lol. To be young again...

About 20 years ago, for me it was the Dan Wesson 445 Supermag in stainless.. I was single at the time, and that gun looked like a cool blonde pinup. The curves on that revolver... and it was a very low SN. I had to have it. Cost me very dearly at the time... about 4 years later I met a “real” cool blond... and while working 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off up in the artic villages, a native guy had made a 3/4 length river otter coat, a real work of art,
    and I just couldn’t get over how that real cool blond would look wrapped in Just that coat, so I swapped that once cool gun for a cool coat and actually got to see her in nothing but that cool fur coat.. it was one of those things you just don’t forget. Sad to say, both the gun, and the blond are long gone.. but ahhhhh the memories..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    If its your grail gun, work the price a little, put it on layaway, trade all but your one carry, and buy that thing. Shoot it and be nice to it. It will go up in value cuz they aint making any more of those. You'll find ways to build your collection back up. I had to sell a few guns to get my dream truck last year, they are slowly coming back into the fold even with saving for a house.
    +1. Your going to regret this until the day you die if you don't buy it. Trust me on this one.

For me, the Holy Grail is another 300 H&H Mag pre-64 like the one I sold when I was young and silly as I saw something else I "just had to have". The other is an 1886 in 33 WCF, 45-70 or 45-90.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I just couldn’t get over how that real cool blond would look wrapped in Just that coat, so I swapped that once cool gun for a cool coat and actually got to see her in nothing but that cool fur coat..

Even trade if you ask me. Memories last for a lifetime. I've got a couple that cost me dearly but wouldn't trade for anything

Markopolo, thanks for the story!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement on it. I've been figuring on it and I might be able to swing it and keep most of my guns. Got some old junk cars and a mower I can sell to help.

After the emotions quit running so high and I got to thinking about how to make it happen, I also got to thinking about do I really want it. The answer is yes still.

I'd like to hear some negatives about the gun and caliber. Bout the only negatives I can think of is parts for the gun will be hard to come by and expensive. Ammo is not readily available. It's a nice perk of common calibers that some of my buddies give their once fired. What kind of brass life does the 348 normally have? It works at about the same pressure as the 30-30 right? So bout the same ?

One other thing is I'm going to go back and look it over real good, will I be able to tell the difference visually if it has been ackley improved?

Boolit Master

Cut stock for recoil pad is a minus, get home compass is a minus, forend split or whatever is a minus,

This is not a collector gun then it has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

I will bet the finish on the metals 70% at best, but it does not matter the stock and forend can be replased but the drilled and tapped holes cannot.

At $1500 bucks the shop and consignor is looking for a sucker. PASS.

Thanks Geezer, that's a helpful comment in the other direction. I ain't sure what the finish is. It does have some at least. The foreend is okay it's the rear stock where all the negative is, that's where the damage is. The scope mounting holes really wouldn't bother me, but the stock will. I was watching one on ebay and it was over 300 last I seen. It is a shooter and not a collector. But so am I.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Markopolo, thanks for the story!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement on it. I've been figuring on it and I might be able to swing it and keep most of my guns. Got some old junk cars and a mower I can sell to help.

After the emotions quit running so high and I got to thinking about how to make it happen, I also got to thinking about do I really want it. The answer is yes still.

I'd like to hear some negatives about the gun and caliber. Bout the only negatives I can think of is parts for the gun will be hard to come by and expensive. Ammo is not readily available. It's a nice perk of common calibers that some of my buddies give their once fired. What kind of brass life does the 348 normally have? It works at about the same pressure as the 30-30 right? So bout the same ?

One other thing is I'm going to go back and look it over real good, will I be able to tell the difference visually if it has been ackley improved?
    Ackley Improved would make brass last a lot longer.
    I have brass & moulds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    will I be able to tell the difference visually if it has been ackley improved?
    The reamer for that more or less just moves the shoulder forward a little. Without a fired brass or chamber casting,
    I don't think you could tell. However; sometimes gunsmiths mark the barrel if they do something like that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have a 'beat-up' Winchester long tang 71(bought that way) and a Browning 20" 71. Long ago I bought 500 Winchester .348 in bulk. Brass holds up very well. Not enough gained to putz with the Ackley Improved version. That big case is fun to fool with. I have a bunch of the Hornady 200 grain FlatPoint, some 200 grain Swift A-frames, and I've tried the Hornady gummy tips. Lee makes loading dies and a factory crimp that works well for this caliber. Mostly I neck size by backing full-length sizing die out about 2 turns. I have not had to full-length sixe brass, even with 'max' book loads. I have a Savage 99 in 358 so I haven't hunted with the the 348's. My Winchester is not drilled for a receiver sight, strictly factory opens. I've been shooting 225 grain FN GC from Bullshop. With factory opens, 2-3" groups are standard, depends on the light and target set-up. Take a look on gunbroker and other auction sites, the price seems high for the condition, Winchester is making new ones.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are over 20 on Gunbroker. Ckeck it out. Might help give you an idea of market price.

It will be an expensive gun to load and shoot.

Good luck
    Don Verna

Thanks for the replies. I will check gunbroker, it won't work on the wife's phone good enough. If nothing else this has rekindled the desire and passion for a 71.

What makes it expensive other than the cost of brass? I'll be casting for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I have a 'beat-up' Winchester long tang 71(bought that way) and a Browning 20" 71. Long ago I bought 500 Winchester .348 in bulk. Brass holds up very well. Not enough gained to putz with the Ackley Improved version. That big case is fun to fool with. I have a bunch of the Hornady 200 grain FlatPoint, some 200 grain Swift A-frames, and I've tried the Hornady gummy tips. Lee makes loading dies and a factory crimp that works well for this caliber. Mostly I neck size by backing full-length sizing die out about 2 turns. I have not had to full-length sixe brass, even with 'max' book loads. I have a Savage 99 in 358 so I haven't hunted with the the 348's. My Winchester is not drilled for a receiver sight, strictly factory opens. I've been shooting 225 grain FN GC from Bullshop. With factory opens, 2-3" groups are standard, depends on the light and target set-up. Take a look on gunbroker and other auction sites, the price seems high for the condition, Winchester is making new ones.
    Thanks for the reply.
    How many loads do you get give or take? Was full length sizing excessive or is partial sizing your standard practice? How often do you anneal?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Bazoo,
    Brass will be expensive and increasingly difficult to acquire. I have no idea of brass life.

BTW, I looked at acquiring one about 10-15 years ago. After much consternation, I realized I was in awe of its history and rarity but it did nothing a more affordable platform could not deliver. I do not regret passing on it.

In your case, you may regret not getting it. Sometimes logic has little sway with either women, cars, boats, or guns. At least with a gun, you lose little or nothing when the desire is satisfied.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    If they offerered to sell it to you at $1599, down from $1799, and because of the other items that would detract from its value, I would only go around $1199 or so. You just have to be prepared to walk out of the shop without it. They probably have less than 1K in it.

Point out all the problems and the lack of ammo and brass availability and whatever you do, don't drool when you hold it!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    If they offerered to sell it to you at $1599, down from $1799, and because of the other items that would detract from its value, I would only go around $1199 or so. You just have to be prepared to walk out of the shop without it. They probably have less than 1K in it.

Point out all the problems and the lack of ammo and brass availability and whatever you do, don't drool when you hold it!!!!
    Always be prepared to walk from any deal. I saved $1,000 by walking out of a car dealership.

Boolit Master
    If you are like me, you will find the "holy grail" gun is a moving target. I have a few that I had to have, but now they are safe queens. I certainly wouldn't sell any gun you now have and like to finance a new purchase. I've sold a few and the regret lasts longer than the thrill of a new one.

Most people buy on emotion and that is, sometimes, a recipe for disaster. One rule of thumb I follow is that I wait at least a day before plopping down the cash for something I've just fallen in love with. It's protected me from a lot of really dumb buys. You're well past that at this point. On occasion, I've lost out on some good deals on some great "stuff" but in almost every case, I've run across a better deal six months later and walked away plenty happy, sometimes by buying, other times by walking away again.

Another rule of thumb is, never use credit to buy something that is a non-necessity. If you don't have the cash for it, don't buy it until you do. Layaway tends to be slightly different but if you can sell some other stuff, do that instead and give cash for what you're getting so you can take it home.

Years ago, I knew I wanted an M1 Garand but I never felt that I had the cash for it. Last year, I finally had the cash for it and bought it. It cost more, of course, but still, have not regretted for a second that I didn't buy it 20 years ago.

When you're a collector, or looking for an item that is a collectible, the above rules don't always apply any more but still, when you're buying from a position of emotion, you're frequently going to pay more. For me, I always have buyer's remorse, regardless, so I have that working against me (or for me!) as well.

Let us know what you come up with!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

I forgot to mention, it's got supergrade swivel studs, and the swivels which are between a piece of leather. It don't look like nothin but a leather strap, could it be a factory offering? Anybody know what the swivels are worth? Only pair for sale on ebay is over 200 bucks. I found a website offering them for 150 a pair. Thinking on going back Friday if the weather is nice and the wife is up to it. She's yet to see what the fuss is all about. If I get back up there and they ain't sold it I'll get some pics. I don't expect it to sell very quick. If it does then I know it wasn't meant to be.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts on this. I'm wondering if I'd be happy with a marlin 1895, I know it's more practical.

Boolit Master
    I have gotten 3 reloadings without full-length sizing using Winchester brass from long ago. My load uses H414, a CCI 250 Mag primer, and Hornady bullet. Based on current information it is above max shown on Hodgdon's website. I have loaded those same cases 2 more times with 20 gr IMR 4198, CCI 200, and 225gr .350 bullet from Bullshop. I will anneal before next reloading. The light cast bullet load drops 25" below the full jacketed load. I need a different front sight to zero factory irons with the lighter loads. I use a Lee full-length sizer adjusted to not move the shoulder. I do use the Lee crimp die because I have it and it does work well for tube feed rifle cartridges. I use the RCBS neck expander as it is/was available at the time. I have used it for a snow/rain rifle for elk(scopes getting wet and hard to keep clear), but it is heavier than others I have so mostly it is waiting for just recreating. When you must full length size cases, adjusting the sizing die to just allow the case to chamber easily is the most sizing you want, just screwing the die in to bump the shellh older is a BAD idea for good case life. I haven not checked for Redding Competition shellholders that will work for the 348.

I have a Marlin 1895, it is my go to elk rifle, lighter, wears a scope, more accurate(due to the scope?), with the scope provides longer usable range(225+ yards).
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 02-13-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast