Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seen my grail gun today

Seen my grail gun today

Today I went to a local gun store a couple towns over that I'd never visited before. Nice folks, smaller place with a little of everything. Well then I go in the back area to scope out the used guns and I spot my grail gun from across the room. My buddy was over by it checking out some new stuff. I said "is that a Winchester model 71?!". The attendent overheard me and said "yeah".

My buddy passed it to me. I've never before held one in person and I wasn't disappointed! The smoothest working action I've ever felt, good heft and balance, and she shouldered beautifully. Made in 1953, a deluxe short rifle. Atleast I think it was a short one as I can't exactly remember for sure. Nothing major, no rust. The stock has a spot at the very front by the receiver that looks like it is either cracked and bugging out or maybe swollen proud of the metal. No matter it'd be an easy enough fix. It has a little compass inlayed in the rear most portion of the comb. The store guy said it was a factory compass. 1599.00

The problem is I ain't got the money. I'd have to sell all of my current guns including my beloved 30-30 and my carry gun to swap into it. I only got 7. Sounds like a lot but a 22 marlin model 60 and a beat Remington 870 both with no finish don't count for much. Lordy day, just thought I'd share my pain.

My buddy is into cheap pistols like makarovs and taurus' and anything in the 250 range. I asked him if he wanted to check it out before I put it back. He asked what the price was, and upon hearing it....declined. Didn't even look at it.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-08-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yep they are a very gorgeous well made levergun. Place by me had at one time about 2 dozen you could hold and examine. Thats really not a bad price for in the condition you describe. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master
    If its your grail gun, work the price a little, put it on layaway, trade all but your one carry, and buy that thing. Shoot it and be nice to it. It will go up in value cuz they aint making any more of those. You'll find ways to build your collection back up. I had to sell a few guns to get my dream truck last year, they are slowly coming back into the fold even with saving for a house.

Make the best deal ya can.
    It's a terrible sensation when ya look back, and say, "I could have gotten one of those when they were still cheap".
    Or worse, finding exactly what ya want, holding it in your hand, and then letting it slip away.

On the other hand, when times change and fortunes improve, they turn up on the auction sites from time to time.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-09-2019 at 02:18 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Lay away or a simple short term loan depending on your situation but it may add some interest to the price. Maybe talk to owners and see if you have a skill set they could use in trade for the rifle. I have done the latter before with a local shop. refit the ways on his old index mill for him for a firearm. Take an inventory of any extras your not using. But get it on lay away so if you do move some things then its still there. Nothing is more disappointing than to finally raise the cash and get there to find out it sold.

I know what you mean by a grail rifle. I got to caress and fondle a Holland and Holland royal double in 470 nitro once at a shop. Way out of my price range but was a treat.

Boolit Master

What I used to do,
    IF I had a small bit of cash extra coming in every month.
    Get a loan from the credit union and pay them $25 or more a month till the gun was paid off.
    But back then, $25 was a lot more money than it is now
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

Another consideration, a .348 is not a cheap or easy thing to feed. Not sure I'd trade off my working guns for one.

Boolit Grand Master

i Personally wouldn’t get a loan. If it’s a consignment gun, well, likely little room on their end and I’ve never seen a gun store lay away any consignment. Talk with them and see what they can do, but there are others out there. Beware the bad case of gottahaves when you gottahaves other things first, like making sure bills are paid and food in the pantry. I don’t know you personally or your situation, just giving generalized advice.

Also as mentioned, think about the cost to feed the old girl.

I've been pondering it. I did talk to them about it. It's not on consignment. They came off of 1799 just for seeing a potential buyer for a gun that ain't got available off the shelf ammo. They said they'd work with me on it and let me do 6 month layaway.

Really, there is a few things I don't like. That damage to the stock being one and that compass being another. Also it has a recoil pad added. Looked to be a long time ago and professionally done. Forgot to mention it's got a Williams side scope mount and an old weaver cv9 on it. I would probably sell the scope and remove the mount, and that'd offset the cost a few dollars.

Thanks for listening to me whine and for all the opinions.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-09-2019 at 02:16 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

I can spend your money real fast for you … if you want..
    when faced with a decision I always evaluate how bad I need it verses what else needs to be done or what can I sell to balance this purchase
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Good luck with your decision Bazoo ! I've gone both ways in the past; pass or buy. Has gone "right" each way. Best right was sell some stuff to buy an S&W 910 5" (very rare). Passed on a Sharps because it wasn't exactly how I wanted one set up.
    I feel your dilemma !!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I always evaluate how bad I need it verses what else needs to be done or what can I sell to balance this purchase
    I always chuckle when I hear that word, and remember Marlon Brando in the movie 'The Freshman'.
    He played a 'Godfather' role. When confronted by something he didn't want to hear,
    like when the main character Matthew Broderick told him something he was going to do was illegal,
    he said, with that old Brando wheeze,,,,,,,, "Illegal is such an ugly word, I try not to use it".

That's what I tell people when they tell me I don't need something, like a new gun.
    I try not to smile when I say, "Need is such an ugly word. I try not to use it".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-09-2019 at 03:08 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

A friend just called to say he found his grail today at a small little known show. In his case it was a SS Redhawk in 41 mag with a 5" barrel. He was so excited he could hardly talk. In almost new condition but without the box for 8 bills was his magic number. Now the real expense begins when ya start with a custom holster and naturally, the moldS and brass to feed it.
    I'm proud for him, being as I have already foot printed that trail.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Got one with a three digit serial no. Made in the second year of manufacture. Mine did n't cost as much as the one you found but it has been hunted with. Once I get to a state that allows lead in ammo mine will hunt once again. Browning had them made in Japan for a few years. Not sure if they are the same or not. When I was in the market for a 71 ifound a few almost new in the box Brownings for less than $1000.00. Not sure what they would cost now. You may want to start accumulating brass and bullets. Barnes makes a serious thumper in 250 gr lead core. Winchester loaded ammo is just 200gr silvertips. I believe I heard a rumor that Starline might be making 348 brass. Good luck on your ongoing search.

It's not exactly how I want, but it's mostly the buttstock, which is replaceable and functional as is. Obviously it's a shooter grade, and I'd shoot it and hunt with it. As far as feeding it, brass is in production from starline and Hornady, maybe a couple other places. I might get some jacketed bullets but mostly I'd cast for it.

There is just something about it that draws me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    There is just something about it that draws me.
    Totally understandable. I had a Serbu and a State Arms .50BMG talk to me like that.
    They even cried when I sold and traded them off.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-09-2019 at 07:15 PM.

EVERYONE!

I wanted a 8x57 or a 9.3x62 mm in the Tikka T3 Hunter but was told they weren't imported here. Lo and behold Bud's Guns had a handful of 8mms so I did something so I could get it without dipping into other funds- I sold a very nice Rem 700/ JES.358 rifle. The 8 and the .358 serve the same purpose for me and I already had two more smaller caliber Tikkas. Luckily a member here bought the .358 and he and his friend are USING it- which makes me happy.

Boolit Master
    I wanted a 71 for years, ten years ago I finally found a decent deluxe model made in 1940. It wasn't cheap but I don't regret buying it. I finally hunted with it two years ago, it worked. I want to try it on elk, I carried it part of one season but just couldn't make it happen. If you have young eyes it could be an all around rifle unfortunately my eyes aren't young so I wouldn't want it as my only rifle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161004_133726.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	235646
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Despite what the guy at the store said, the compass is not factory. Probably a Marbles or Poly choke brand. Neither is the recoil pad or the extra holes from the side scope mount. None of which will change the way it shoots, but Lots of points to work with when haggling.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know the scope mount and pad ain't factory. I ain't been with the computer to my friends house to more thoroughly search about the compass. I did some reference to factory compass on the 71, but the wife's phone ain't up to serious research. I did check ebay and there was a deluxe long tang on there for 125ish.

If I do get it, I will remove the mount and it the holes. Probably keep the mount at least though. I'd most likely remove the peep sight and find an original rear sight. I'll keep the peep thou cause some day I'll be old and might not be able to muster the eyes for blade rear sighting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast