Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450 Bushmaster ?

Boolit Buddy

450 Bushmaster ?

Was at a Friends of the NRA banquet and won a Ruger American in 450 bushmaster. naturally I want to shoot cast out of it and was wondering if anyone has sized down the Lyman 457122 Gould boolit for this round?

Thanks Scott

Scott,

I have sized down lee 500g RFN and 340g RN 45 rifle cal bullets. So far i have loaded them subsonic and haven't shot enough of them to determine accuracy.

The RARR 450 BM will handle a COAL of about 2.85", so you can increase usable case capacity seating a boolit long. I would get a lee FC die as a roll crimp will mess up headspacing.

BB

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought one when they first came out. The only boolit I've tried is the Lee 300 FN. I just gave up on yesterday. I had it feeding fine the last year and half up untill last night. The last boolit would jam out of the mag. The Gould boolit is on my list to try. Mine slugs at .451 and I size to .452. Best group with the lees were 1.1" with a stout load of 35.5 grains of H110 with a MV of 2070fps at a hundred yards but they just don't feed reliable with that wide flat metplate. Taper crimp only or it won't cycle properly. Hoot over at 450 bushmaster dot net suggested tapering to .474" using my hornady taper die. It's been working for me.

I ran the Lee 300fn all the way up to 40 grains of H110 with no primer or case pressure signs but the gun couldn't take it and rattled apart in the process.

Make sure you remove the scope rail, bed it with acraglass or lock tite the complete bottom of the base to the receiver along with the screws. I wrecked one optic and had optic number two slide backwards till I figured out what was going on. The loose scope base is pretty common problem with the American 450BM. I sprayed some 3M adhesive on the inside of my scope rings as well.

Id really like to see a GC Gould mold or a 300 grain Lyman devastator GC made. I feel like there really aren't any good .452 options out there in gas check mold that the nose tapers enough to feed reliably in the 450BM. Unless you have a custom design mold made there is nothing but flat metplate pistol styles that catch in the action causing jams. Another poster here has good luck with the 295 grain Lyman which tapers pretty good from what I see but it's not a GC so I wouldn't want to push it hard like I did with the lee.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-06-2019 at 10:42 AM.

This was I group buy last fall. My confirmation when it came I went to my junk folder. I seed they are available in a four boolit mold in.454. I ordered 2 boolit mold in .452

https://mp-molds.com/e-shop/molds/so...c-solid-4-cav#

Banned
    The RCBS 300-FN sized to .452 feeds great in my Ruger American, but I have not struck up THE LOAD just yet. H227 is looking promising though with minimal trials. The 250 grain Hornady gummy tip shoots and kills so good it has been hard for me to try other things so far. The factory loaded 250 grain black load is just awful hard to not use, so my cast efforts have been minimal at best.

Boolit Master
    Both my Ruger Gunsight and American like the 300 Grain WFN GC from an accurate mould. Loaded over a max load of H4227 accurate devastating on game.

Here’s one I think I’m going to try. $81 shipped for a single cavity. It’s listed for the bushmaster and .452 diameter. Mine slugs at .451.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-280D-D.png

Boolit Grand Master
    You might enjoy the rifle so much you will wish you had a multiple cavity mold. Just sayin'

I’ll probably go with at least a 2 cavity when I order. Must be a newer mold because I can find any casted up when i google pics.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Scott,
    I have sized down lee 500g RFN and 340g RN 45 rifle cal bullets. So far i have loaded them subsonic and haven't shot enough of them to determine accuracy.
    BB
    Following this with interest as I bought a CVA single shot in .450 bushmaster on a whim this year, and have wanted to try subsonic loads in it. Have yet to find the ideal bullet, but sizing down .458" slugs seems to be the smart way to go. What were your loads for these if you don't mind sharing? I can't find much in the way of subsonic data.

I don't have any .458" molds (or anything heavier than 300 grn in .452"), but was thinking of something along the lines of this for a load: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...nose-gas-check

Have loaded the 300grn Lee bullet supersonic, and with a few 'fun' lighter loads, but want a heavier boolit for hunting.

One thing to consider for subsonic is the barrel twist rate. The RARR 450 BM is 1:16 and the CVA 460 BM is 1:24. My RARR will stabilize a 500g bullet at subsonic MV, not sure if the CVA would.

I don't want to quote load data from memory, so next trip to the barn i will look up my data.

BB

Boolit Master

I have one too. I like it, its a real good shooter.

I have some 300G Lyman bullets I cast that work real well for me. I just cast some more 270 SWC to try both of these are PB bullets that I powder coat.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    One thing to consider for subsonic is the barrel twist rate. The RARR 450 BM is 1:16 and the CVA 460 BM is 1:24. My RARR will stabilize a 500g bullet at subsonic MV, not sure if the CVA would.
    Good point, I did some math on a stabilization calculator and I know a 370 grain I was considering should have stabilized....500 grain is going to be a stretch.

Boolit Master
    This is the one I shoot as well excellent on game md real accurate you can drive them hard.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...45-280FG-D.png

Banned
    The Gould bullet is great but it's .458 not .452. When you punch a 45 caliber hole in something expansion is unnecessary.

Hopefully your Ruger does not have a gain twist as my AR did. Cast were NG in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    The Gould bullet is great but it's .458 not .452. When you punch a 45 caliber hole in something expansion is unnecessary.

Hopefully your Ruger does not have a gain twist as my AR did. Cast were NG in it.
    you can Size it down to .454 .452

.454" cast boolits chamber fine in my RARR 450BM.

BB

Boolit Master

I size mine to .454 as well.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Did you see the group buy going on right now for probably the “perfect” 450 BM boolit IMO.

Boolit Master
    I got in on this group buy thought it would be great for my 450Bushmaster and my 460 S&W

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-460-SW-450-BM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast