WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger compact in 7.62x39

Boolit Master

Ruger compact in 7.62x39

I recently bought one of these little rifles in 7.62x39 and would like some info. As I understand it the barrel is 30 caliber yet because of the way the forcing cone or throat is designed .311 dia bullets can be fired through this barrel. Is this correct?. Getting back to the 30 cal barrel. can one also shoot 30 caliber bullets as well. I'm getting some of the PPU Serbian made x39 for starters and brass. I realize I need a three die set and would like both expanders for both .311 and .308 bullets are these two expanders included in the set (Redding delux) 3 die set. I also have some 7.62x39 as loaded in Israel by the old Hanson Cartridge company and some 124 grain Lapua Finnish ammo again for fireforming and help to break in the barrel. The Finn ammo was deleloped for the Valmet and ak type rifle being brought out when the finally ditches their moisins and usually the Lapua brass is excellent. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Frank

Boolit Master
    Your Redding dies will come with a neck resizer on the depriming stem. It will more than likely open the neck to .307. This allows some neck tension for jacketed boolits. What you are in need of is either a Lyman M Die or a Lee Universal Expander with changeable inserts from NOE. The new Lyman M Dies from what I hear, are not interchangeable, i.e. you buy the .311 M Die and that is the only size it will expand to. You will need multiple dies for multiple diameters.

The Lee Universal Expander by itself is not an expander, it just bells a case. However, you can buy expander plugs from NOE Molds that go into the Lee die that will expand the necks of your brass. Best of all, they are inexpensive and swappable, meaning you can do many different sizes with one die and a few cheap expander plugs.

Boolit Grand Master

I would slug the barrel and do a chamber cast so I would know for sure the critical dimensions of my gun...

About the forcing cone (throat), call Ruger. Nuttin' like info straight from the horse's mouth.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Is this a semi auto or a bolt action?

The Ruger American Rifle Ranch rifle is a bolt action 16" threaded bbl .312 bore. In other words a traditional 7.62x39 barrel.

Mine shoots best with .313 cast bullets. It shoots very well with Accurate 150T FN and Lee 312-185 powder coated or hiteked.

Wolf steel case shoots very well for range fun.

Boolit Master
    The Ruger compact is a bolt action. Haven't decided on a scope yet. Think for the money probably a nice little short/carbine style rifle. Thanks for the tip regarding the Newer style Lyman M dies that you cannot swap out the expander plugs. Slugging the barrel no problem and should have done it when I first got it. Other things got in the way. Thanks for your responses as they are always welcome. Frank

Boolit Master
    Lee dies come with the smaller expander plug for 308 bullets. I had to buy the extra lee expander plug for 303 Brit. I keep boath in my die set. I also use lee’s expander and now expander plugs works great

Boolit Master
    nOE expander plugs

Boolit Master

If you fire .311 jacketed down a .308 bore you will raise pressures by a few hundred pounds. Less than normal shot-to-shot variation. Lower with cast.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Forgot to add my lee 7.62x54 r is a older set that I thank came with the 308 and 311 expander but my 7.62x39 lee die set only came with one the 308. When I ordered the bigger expander for the 7.62x39set I looked up in there catalogue and the bigger one is listed as a the 303 Brit. I called lee up and the teck told me the 303 Brit is the correct one to use for 303 B,7.62x54R and 7.62x39 die set. I have used it with jacketed bullets and it works fine. But the NOE expander plugs and lee’s universal expander work great for cast. I usally run my bullets as cast or as big as will chamber. The noe plugs help to seat fat bullets without shaving lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 of the Ruger ranch rifles in 7.62x39 one for me and one for the wife, we have easily put 7-8K down them and we use the lee 150fn sized to 313 seated out to the bottom of the first lube groove over 21.5 of IMR4198, at 100 yards it will keep them at 3/4” and at 400yards I can easily hit a 8” plate

I have killed a ton of deer with that load, all one shot kills only one moved and she went about 10 feet before falling over

Boolit Master
    I actually bought the Ruger in 7.62x39 because I wanted something fairly inexpensive to shoot. Both Jacket and cast. Reason being is that I have about 300rds of Lapua x39 and IMI brass and also found some old Hansen Cartridge co. x39 made in Israel with the IMI brass. Don't hunt and walk with a cane so somewhat limited mobility. Gonns scround around for some cast 314299's I have to slug the barrel. Once I have those numbers will most likely go to Accurate molds as I have been putting off getting a fat .462 mold for my #1 with the .459 land to land dia. And a bullet for my Winchester Canadian Centennials one with a 20" bbl and the other with the 26" barrel. Been neglecting shooting for too long. Thanks all again for your suggestions and comments as always they are greatly appreciated. Frank

Boolit Master
    I bought two Ruger 77 MKII stainless 7.62x39s more than twenty-five years ago; still have one. I've used different diameters of jacketed bullets, but not in a long time. While I seldom shoot my rifle anymore, I use only the Lyman #314299 HP, cast of wheelweight alloy and sized to .311". Best powders have been TAC and 1680, but H4895 and Reloder 7 are worth trying.

The instruction manual that came with my rifles advised against using surplus / imported ammo as the hard primers could damage the Ruger firing pin. Ruger probably corrected this shortcoming and may no longer issue such a warning.

Boolit Master

Speer just released a EXCELLENT 123G Gold Dot bullet that would/should be a dandy for white tails or SAD what ever your flavor!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    You might want to think about selling that Lapua ammo. I have seen some sell for $1 a round. then you can buy other stuff cheaper. I would not break in your barrel with it, use something else. You will find it is very accurate. I still have some I shoot in my Savage I put together.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I recently bought one of these little rifles in 7.62x39 and would like some info. As I understand it the barrel is 30 caliber yet because of the way the forcing cone or throat is designed .311 dia bullets can be fired through this barrel. Is this correct?. Getting back to the 30 cal barrel. can one also shoot 30 caliber bullets as well. I'm getting some of the PPU Serbian made x39 for starters and brass. I realize I need a three die set and would like both expanders for both .311 and .308 bullets are these two expanders included in the set (Redding delux) 3 die set. I also have some 7.62x39 as loaded in Israel by the old Hanson Cartridge company and some 124 grain Lapua Finnish ammo again for fireforming and help to break in the barrel. The Finn ammo was deleloped for the Valmet and ak type rifle being brought out when the finally ditches their moisins and usually the Lapua brass is excellent. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Frank
    Frank, you might ask Ruger what size they made your barrel. This was a problem when the Mini-14's came out years ago. They ended up making them with .311 bores.

Boolit Master
    The original Ruger bolt-action 7.62x39s from the early '90s had (according to customer service manager at the time, Dick Beaulieu) bore diameters of .3000" to .3015" with groove diameters of .310" to .311". These were within manufacturer tolerances that reflected SAAMI specs, a little larger than most .30 caliber bore dimensions.

Probably worth checking with Ruger again on this; current dimensions may be slightly different.

Boolit Master
    Rockrat, Bought the 300 rounds of Lapua 7.62x39 years back non corrosive and boxer primed 30 rounds per box. At the time didn't have a firearm in that caliber to shoot it in. had been considering getting one of the CZ bolt actions with the single set trigger.But that never happened. So when Ruger came out with the compac had my dealer order one for me. Trying to figure out what scope to get. Vortex has a decent reputation. Sorry some of posts look like the front page of the NY times. Don't get out much and didn't realize how long some of my posts were. I started here when it was the old AIMOO,Shooters and then what we have now. Thanks,Frank

Boolit Master

I don't care who says what their barrel diameters are, the only way to KNOW is measure. Especially Ruger.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Sizing your bullet to fit the throat is where you want to be..
    Forget about sizing for groove dia. + ...(ie. you don't really need to know your groove dia.)
    That's basic info that seems to fly over many heads here at castbullets ..

I would also suggest you get a Lee Collet Die set and a expander one thou less than the bullet size..
    The only negative I have found with these Ruger's is that they use mini-30 mags that has tabs to hold the follower down which interferes in feeding longer bullets..
    Mine also wouldn't feed at all from the left side of the mag. but was able to Dremel the feed ramp to make it work..
    Must be a rare problem as I have only seen one other owner of these rifles have this problem..