View Poll Results: 30-30 - Bore rider or LFN nose

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bore rider

10 27.03%
  • LFN/WFN nose

27 72.97%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your favorite 30-30 bullet a bore rider or LFN/WFN?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Same here. Have a Lyman double cavity and a Lyman single HP cavity. I've been shooting the 311041 since '68 in my lever actions (mostly M94 Winchesters) and bolt guns. It has always proven to be accurate and deadly on game. A 311316 over Unique for 1500 fps is a favorite for vermin. Also, a Lee 6 cavity 312-041 version for 31 cal bolt action rifles is a favorite for game. In my 21" Contender Carbine I use the 311041 for hunting but use the RCBS 30-150 a lot also. I have used the 311284 and 311299 for LR plinking. The Lee TL314-90-SWC lubed and then sized down to .311 over 2.7 gr Bullseye for plinking and small game is a favorite load.
    I, too, like the Lyman 311-041, and even have it noted as "Best for .30WCF" in my mould listing of Lyman moulds. (See photo)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My 30WCF moulds.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	306562. Albeit it's been three or four (?) years since I regularly shot .30-30, I enjoyed the 150gn 311241 with my "one" dislike that it's plain base -- no gas check. However, it performed well in my .30-30 Remington. Interestingly, my notes indicate I cast, loaded, and shot more of the gas-checked 170 grain # 311291 in the 1894 Winchesters -- I have two of this mould to enable my casting them in tandem.
    ALL great bullets for the .30WCF.

Boolit Master

I shoot the Lee 309-150-FN in my Win 94 AE. Loves them.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    99% of the guys that shoot 30-30 Winchester do it using a lever action. I want to hear about what the people that are using a 30-30 bolt action are able to shoot? Because the magazines are different, you aren't limited to just the flat and blunt pointed bullets like in a tubular magazine. Do the throats on bolt guns let you use longer/heavier bullets? Bolt guys; tell us what you shoot.
    I can't speak for the factory 30-30 bolt action rifles( Win 54, Rem 788, Savage 340), but my 1916 Spanish Mauser 30-30 is currently using 193gr Hunters Supply bullets that member DG sent over. Due to the rim stop needed on the mag follower, my COAL is not 7x57mm length, but just a bit longer than normal 30-30 length.
    That limits me to 150gr or less on pointed jacketed bullets, but that's fine with me. The 125gr Nosler BT is neat, and reminds me of why I always wanted a 30-30 bolt action.
    The Lee C309170F is my favorite bullet so far. It shoots great whether tumble lubed or pc'd. My rifles chamber was cut with a standard throat.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    99% of the guys that shoot 30-30 Winchester do it using a lever action. I want to hear about what the people that are using a 30-30 bolt action are able to shoot? Because the magazines are different, you aren't limited to just the flat and blunt pointed bullets like in a tubular magazine. Do the throats on bolt guns let you use longer/heavier bullets? Bolt guys; tell us what you shoot.
    I have a Savage 325 and a 340 and the magazine limits the spitzer bullets. I guess that you could single load them or seat the spitzers really deep.

Boolit Master
    I have two 788s, a savage 325 and 340, a 94 Win and a 336 (all .30-30 chambering). I prefer the 30-180-FN RCBS or 31141, but the 90 grain Lee that Larry mentioned is for sure the “ most fun” boolit for plinking.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

My .30-30 is a break action single shot and I prefer the 150 Loverin design!

Boolit Grand Master
    I usually load either the 311041 or the RCBS 30-180 fn, if I'm going hunting, but for plinking, the 311-465 Louverin or the 311-245 pb do everything you would want.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I start with the Lee 185 gr gc round nose cast of fairly soft material. Squish a WFN nose on it with a block of plastic with the right size hole drilled in it. And I use the drill that drilled the hole, reversed in an old elcheapo desktop drill press. With an extention of 3/4" pvc on the handle to make it easy to apply pressure.

Plastic block sits over a piece of steel covering the drill press table hole for the first push. Steel gets slid to the side and I push the boolit out. At this point it is large in diameter. Having gone from .312 to .320ish. Boolit get sized back down with gas check crimped on and loaded.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I start with the Lee 185 gr gc round nose cast of fairly soft material. Squish a WFN nose on it with a block of plastic with the right size hole drilled in it. And I use the drill that drilled the hole, reversed in an old elcheapo desktop drill press. With an extention of 3/4" pvc on the handle to make it easy to apply pressure.

Plastic block sits over a piece of steel covering the drill press table hole for the first push. Steel gets slid to the side and I push the boolit out. At this point it is large in diameter. Having gone from .312 to .320ish. Boolit get sized back down with gas check crimped on and loaded.
    Is that the Lee 312-185 RN that you are using?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Yep
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I keep coming back to the Lyman 170 RN with a Hornady gas check for my old Winchester.

I'm not sure what all the scientific specifications are on it, but it sure does a good job for me.
    My M1A even likes it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My answer is yes. I have 30-30 single shots. I use the RCBS 150, 165 and 180s or a Lyman 170 grain. I do not own a lever thuty, thuty.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Mold
    Lyman 31141 cast soft, gas checked and sized .311 in a Marlin....Best 30-30 mold ever....

Boolit Master
    Bore rider ,cos I paper patch them for speed
    Thou do like a throat filling plainbase as well for low node shooting.
    Single shot.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1949 336A that would not chamber anything I tried unless really seated deep. Mr. Harris recommended I taper the throat slightly, I did and it worked great. The RCBS 180 FN shoots well but I prefer the Lee 170 or the 311291. When I size the 311291 I use a flat nose punch.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure what it is ... so I didn't vote . It was all I could get when I was given the Winchester model 94 in 30-30 ... Worked well so I just kept shooting it .
    It has a flat nose !

Lee C309 -170 - FN

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12