WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: corrosive primers and weak brass

corrosive primers and weak brass

I've searched the forum and only came across a brief reference to my question. I have a bucket full of Korean War era .30-06 brass that I shot up when I bought my Garand MANY years ago. I just stashed it without cleaning it, and now I'm geared up to reload. I stumbled on a comment about the corrosive primers weakening the brass if it's not cleaned. I hate to scrap them, but I'd really hate to blow up my rifle. Any thoughts?
    “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”

Boolit Master
    Mercuric primers weaken brass,not corrosive primers.The primers in your brass if it was made for the US military would have been corrosive,non mercuric and would not weaken the brass.

Boolit Master

Korean era 30/06 well postdates any Mercuric rifle priming.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    I had a bunch or WWII '06 brass that had corrosive primers. After being fired and decapped and removing the crimp is a wash with Dawn and hot water then rinsed a few times and stuck them in a plastic collander and stuck it on the top of the heat pump where the fan blows hot air and within a hour were dry. Probably over kill but had that brass for years all 500 of them. But no reason to trash brass especially mil surp '06.Frank