WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 124grain lee rn boolit

Boolit Bub

124grain lee rn boolit

Anyone have any good loads for this booolit? I haven’t found any load data for this one.I keep asking myself why I buy moulds with little to no load data that I can find???

Moderator Emeritus

I would start with data for any cast bullet in that weight range (±5.0gr)
    Lyman and Lee's manual list several.
    I like Red Dot and/or Unique.
    What powders do you have?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I have titegroup.The manuals have similar weighted bullets but a different design

Lee data is lacking in my opinion too. I don't have a Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition yet, but it's on my short list of must haves. I hear tell it has data for lee bullets.

Moderator Emeritus

Substitute data for Ly 358242 124 gr if it has a lube groove. If it is a tumble lube mold toss it out before you get too emotionally involved.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    JB's right, find a boolit that looks similar, same diameter and weighs the same. Start at the bottom and work your way up until you find the best load for your gun

You are talking about the Lee TL356-124-2R?-- my friends guns like OAL 1.065 your mileage may vary

You'll find max charge here: http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

and downloadable manuals and links to online sources here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources.

I am currently working out OAL and load data for a friends guns using BE I'm close on getting the right charge
    AND load data and OAL for new(ish) to me Llama 1911 9MM and Walther p38 -- both slug out at .358 (most European 9MM's have a larger bore than US 9MM's

these are the boolits I'm using.

356-120-TC
    TL356-124-TC
    TL356-124-2R
    358-125 RF
    356-125 2R

got 4 out of 5 OAL's figured out and only needed 1 bandaid

Boolit Bub
    Nice,I think I’m gonna size it to 358 and see if it is gonna lead or not.

Banned
    Russ, I would start by slugging your barrel to see how big you need. a lot of US lugers are happy with .356 -- .357.
    .358 may not chamber.

You never said what you were planning to shoot this in.

Boolit Bub
    I have a smith and Wesson m and p 2.0 9mm I am gonna shoot

Boolit Master
    I've been using the .358-124-2r (not tumble lube) in my 9mm. I have found I get close to my EDC factory ammo velocities & point of impact, with 5.1 gr CFE-Pistol.
    OAL for my gun works best at 1.125"

Here is how I approach loads for Lee molds. I find some load recipes for various other bullets of similar weights. I research the length of the bullets used in those recipes, (sometimes going as far as calling the manufacturers). Then I measure the length of the bullets cast from my Lee mold. Then I do the math to figure out what the OAL would be if I were to seat the Lee bullet to the same depth as the bullet in the published recipe. I don't do anything to harden my cast bullets, so I generally follow the rule of thumb that cast bullets produce less pressure than jacketed so I won't hesitate to work off a jacketed bullet recipe. Then I start low, and work up. I shoot over a chronograph and note the steady increase in velocities with each load increment. If the velocity jumps up out of proportion I would back down and stop development there. I collect brass and look for signs of pressure at each step up. I take photos and post them here for critique.

In the situation of my development of the above load: I worked off Hodgdon's recipe for a Sierra FMJ 125 gr. The Sierra FMJ is actually longer than the Lee RN so matching the OAL would produce a shallower seating depth. The Hodgdon data lists an OAL of 1.090". By doing a plunk test my gun will accept 1.130" OAL with that Lee bullet, however it cycles better at 1.125". So I'm shooting cast instead of jacketed, plus I've got more room in the case than the Hodgdon recipe. I started at 4.0 and worked up to 5.1 which is the max for that recipe.
    Other recipes for 125 grain bullets on Hodgdon show max charges of 4.8, 5.0, and 5.5.

I had a bit of a funky primer dimple at 5.1 grains. I posted photos here and was re-assured that the dimple getting pushed back out was because I was using Remington primers. I switched primer brands and the problem went away.

My velocities with that load average 990 fps from a 3-inch barrel.

Boolit Master
    The TL356-124gr RN comes out at 0.602" from my mold. 0.278" lube micro grooves & bearing surface

The TL356-124gr TC comes out at 0.580" from my mold. 0.310" lube micro grooves & bearing surface

The LG 356-120gr TC comes out at 0.589" from my mold. 0.278" lube groove & bearing surface

The differences on OAL for EACH BOOLIT, is up to your mold & may differ slightly from mine, although I would think they would be very close per Lee's QA standards.

I provided my boolit OALs for you to have comparison if you wanted, as well as the bearing surface length for you to calculate the differences to help find your own OAL for the whole cartridge. As you can see above, there is similarity between the RN & the Single lube groove bearing surface, while the TL- TC is longer.

I load the TC boolits at around 1.070 to 1.080, and the RN at around 1.11-1.12 OAL. ( I am still "testing" for a final "determined" OAL for each, so that is why the "range" between OAL.)

These are loaded in an Ruger SR9mm, which has a Generous chamber, and I could go out past the lube groove on the LG boolit & still chamber the round, but the magaine feed is a factor that has to be considered as well. So, I stay in a raange of OAL that is approximate to other boolits/bullets of this weight & type.

I am using Red Dot, which compares to Bullseye in the loading data with just a tenth of a grain or so Below BE on just about every handgun load data that I have going back to the Speer# 11 from the 1980s or so. (Promo would also be a "weighed" substitute for RD.)

Max. load for either powder(RD/Promo & BE) & that 124gr. for each boolit type, runs around 4.2 - 4.5gr. dependent on what load data/manual you use. I stay below 4.2 for economy & safety purpose, but I that is "me". Others can do as they like.

My "general load for all 3 ( and even with a 120gr boolit I use.) is 3.8 or 3.9 gr. RD/Promo, since that load gave me the best chronoed data & accuracy off sandbags so far. ( I am still testing" all sorts of variables as I like to play around with such things, but the info here is what I am using, "now".)

As said & most likely know, that each firearm has its' own individual characteristics on what it likes to run/feed & shoot and we have to "design to fit" for each one while staying in what safety concerns & load data is given to us, unless we want to "push the envelope" at our own risk & exceed the load data.

What works for "me" & my firearm(s), may not work for "you" & your firearm(s).

I hope you find this info helps, as well as the others info provided & you find a suitable safe load.

G'Luck!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 02-15-2019 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fixed a number
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by Russman View Post
    Nice,I think I’m gonna size it to 358 and see if it is gonna lead or not.
    My MP Pro or Compac will chamber a .358 bullet.

If you are depending on printed loading data for your bullets, then give up casting & buy jacketed? There is no magic to reloading data. The data gets you in the ball park & the rest is up to the reloader. Look up 124gr RN MFJ data & use the starting data point. Adjust OAL to fit your gun, then work up as needed.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    I use that bullet in all my 9mm’s. It usually has to be seated short to stay out of the lands.

3.6 grains of TG makes right at 1000 FPS out of a stock G17, and with WW/hospital lead it drops at 130 grains.

Just use load data for another 124 cast (or jacketed) and you’ll be fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Russman View Post
    I have titegroup.The manuals have similar weighted bullets but a different design
    Go with the load data for the similar designed boolit of the same weight ....in Lyman #4 it's a truncated cone but you have to start somewhere . In 9mm Luger nose shape isn't that critical , OAL will be different but the powder charges will be similar. Start at the minimum and work up slowly.
    You will be fine. I have the Lee 356-125-2R round nose mould and have simply used the Lyman Data with no problems . I haven't worked up any Titegroup loads yet. Been using Red Dot and Unique .

Do not use data intended for jacketed bullets... Only use data for Lead Boolits...there is a difference in powder charges.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    Thank you all for taking the time to explain to me in depth about this.It is much appreciated!

Boolit Master

For the "2R" Lee 356 cast, I load it over 4.9 gr Unique. It is seated short at 1.04" to plunk in the fussiest gun. Sized .358"

Boolit Master
    I use 3.5 gr of bullseye for my 9 mm load. I have used 4.0 also. Boath loads work good

Boolit Master

4.0gr of Bullseye over any 120-125gr. OAL 1.110"
    I size .356dia for all my 9's.

I like the Lyman #356402 best. Cast straight LINO.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    One more quick question just to be safe.If my oal is chambering at 1.040 will that be safe?I know that taterhead said it would be.I just don’t know how much room is left inside the case after the powder and then seating the bullet.Just don’t wanna blow my hand off,lol��

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast