RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why a turret press?

3" PVC pipe cut about 3"'s long, allows the turret to sit perfectly inside and the dies don't bottom out. As long as I don't change bullets, I can quick change in a matter of seconds. Also written on the pipe is the shell holder number, so I don't have to look it up.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Boolit Master

Thanks! Right now I'm considering the T-7 so I don't think that method would work in exactly the same way. Good idea to keep in mind.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Thanks! Right now I'm considering the T-7 so I don't think that method would work in exactly the same way. Good idea to keep in mind.
    Can't speak for or against any turret presses. I will state this. When I started to get into loading, everyone bashed Lee. Yes there are better products and most of mine now sit unused, as Lee is my everyday go to. No , I don't have a Dillon and doubt I ever will, but the Lee turret is a fine press for the money.

I use a Lee classic turret for all handgun loading. I deprime on a single stage , using a 45/70 die then clean if needed. priming is done with a Lee auto prime, off press. Then they are sized, charged, bullets seated, crimped using the auto index. I use a 4 die set. Priming off press allows a better feel, for me. The up and movement of the Lee auto disc seems to help keep the powder charges uniform . Just remember to remove the depriming pin from the sizing die

p
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The Co-ax gets you faster die changes with out buying any turrets, and is better built.
    Die changes one entire set for another, OK, I can see that. But loading a single cartridge though all the stages, you won't be faster on a CoAx swapping out dies compared to simply indexing the turret to the next die position.

I use my CoAx as the bullet seating part of my bottleneck single stage assembly line, but it's also my goto for decapping out of sequence because of the quick die change feature. I keep the universal decapping die right by the CoAx.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Well, I pulled the trigger on a T-7 today. Brownell's had it on sale plus 10% off and free shipping. An extra turret was also on sale, so I got one. If I was willing to wait up to 6 months or more, I might have found it cheaper but I doubt I could have saved over another $10-$20.

Now I can start discovering how best to use it. I've got this thread bookmarked so I can refer to it as I work my way thru various methods. Don't stop discussing turret presses. I'm sure there is a lot more to discuss about them and I'm ready to try them(or will be when the press arrives).
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I was about to respond to an emailed notification of a post on this thread that notified that Midway had the T-7 on sale for $299. I had another email from Brownell's that the T-7 was still on sale and $30 off which is a better deal. Somehow the other email was deleted. I have that happen occasionally and wonder what happened. Maybe the poster found the Brownell's sale and deleted his post.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Well! The T-7 was delivered yesterday. It was supposed to be delivered last Thursday or Friday but in checking the tracking, it said that a delay was requested. Called Brownell's about it and they checked FedEx and said that there was minor damage to the box and it had to be re-taped.

When the package was delivered and I opened it, the extra turret was missing. It was obvious the box was retaped including a big tear in the bottom. Plenty big enough for the turret to get out.

Got an email from Brownell's that said essentially, that they were shipping the replacement turret and charging my credit card pending reimbursement from FedEx. I guess my only worry now is that FedEx will reject the loss claim and I might be charged for the replacement turret.

Aside from all that, the press is an amazing piece of equipment. Can't wait to mount it and get started using it. As I said in an earlier post, I'll try the methods mentioned here and decide which fits me best.
    John
    W.TN

I've really enjoyed this thread. I've never used a turret press, but I'm interested in them. That Redding t7 sure looks nice. Thanks all for this discussion.

Boolit Bub
    My opinion is the Lee Classic Cast turret can't be beat for the price range it sells in. Is a Dillon Square Deal faster, higher quality press and warranty? Absolutely, but at Triple the price.

The sweet spot for the Lee turret presses is producing average volumes of a variety of calibers. If you are planning to enter pistol competitions or just do high volume practicing, then a turret isn't going to keep up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by red67 View Post
    My opinion is the Lee Classic Cast turret can't be beat for the price range it sells in. Is a Dillon Square Deal faster, higher quality press and warranty? Absolutely, but at Triple the price.
    You can not compare the LCT to the SDB as it’s an apples to orange comparison. The SDB is a full progressive while the LCT isn’t. The LCT occupies an area all by itself. Now if you want to compare the SDB to a 650 then it’s more accurate. But the station numbers don’t make it an exact comparison either.

Banned
    So far I've read 40+ post most say either yes they like a turret or basically a turret is a ***. I have a Lyman -T-Mag simply because I haven't done rifle calibers on my Dillon 650 press as of yet. Do I use the turret function? No, 99% of the time I do one operation at a time. I FL-resize and install a primer for say 50-100 cases. I then throw a powder charge on a powder measure with 50 rounds in a wooden block receiving the charge and then back to the Lyman to install the bullet. I guess I could rig up a powder measure on the turret to throw the charge into the case and then install the bullet but I find the movement of the turret causes a difference in the powder drop consistency.

Like I mentioned above I FL-resize rifle cases on the Lyman simply because it has decent leverage and its pretty heavy duty and will take the abuse. I use my home made sizing mixture of heat and lanolin and after rifle cases are sized they get cleaned again and checked for length prior to loading.

The ONLY time I use the turret is in reloading the 380. I employ a 9mm taper crimp die in addition to the bullet seating/crimp die to get enough tension but not too much and I will rotate the turret on each round. To me the turret is more of a convenience of having the dies in the turret ready to go to the next stage with a simple turn.

Banned
    If by SDB your talking Dillon Square Deal no its not more accurate. I've owned both.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Yes I do...When I deliver a powder charge to a case I leave the throw in the 'delivered' position and the next throw I reach up and 'take' a new charge and this way powder does not settle in the metering hole causing varing charges. Vibration from the shuffling of the turret does settle the powder in the hopper but that is a good thing.

A friend in Texas made that adapter for the top of the Lee powder through the expander die and I can use any of my powder dispensers I want depending on the powder and charge, the dispenser is easy to remove without disturbing other dies adjacent to it.

Now you can see the powder charge in the seating station right as you go to set the cast in the case...

I have been looking myself.

I need something to attach my lil dandy to the top plate like you have! I cannot find anything...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I ran across this...

Looks like your drawing OS OK!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTiCH1vAUlk

Just found and ordered this... Hope it works for what I want.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Multi-E.../dp/B005KW6I54

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-20-2019 at 09:41 AM.

cwlongshot...

There's this adapter here https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...der-charge-die by Lyman.

And there's this https://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Adapte.../dp/B0041OJAJS adapts the measure to a Lee powder through expander die.

If your using the Lee products theres this riser you might need for a Lee measure https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...-measure-riser

***Regarding your last post...That's the fella that made my adapter...that's my adapter he's making right there. Small world heh?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I have a Dillon 550B ...

Someday I'll have to go thru the agony of changing primer sizes to use up my stash of large primer .45ACP. When that happens, I'll load a ton for my sons and tell them if they lose the brass not to worry about it.
    People make swapping primers sizes on a 550 sound much worse than it is, especially with a little practice.
    Takes only a few minutes.

Some hints-
    Don’t over tighten the 2 bolts holding the primer feed. And don’t tighten them up all the way until you lower the ram and align the primer feed.
    Make sure the primer tube is empty before removing.
    Test the feed system with just a few primers, not a full sleeve. I use 10.
    Don’t screw the primer tube retaining cap on too tight, just barely snug it up.
    Don’t forget the primer feed spring, remove it before loosening the primer feed bolts and replace it before final tightening.
    If any of the parts are getting worn, call Dillon and get replacements. My biggest issues in years were from worn parts.

With the parts sitting ready in front of you on the bench it is an easy 5 minute job.
    When it goes right.
    I will admit the first few time took longer, I have had issues with the plastic tips, primers falling on the floor or not feeding. But that is where I got my list of tips from, feel free to learn from my mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    cwlongshot...

There's this adapter here https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...der-charge-die by Lyman.

And there's this https://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Adapte.../dp/B0041OJAJS adapts the measure to a Lee powder through expander die.

If your using the Lee products theres this riser you might need for a Lee measure https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...-measure-riser

***Regarding your last post...That's the fella that made my adapter...that's my adapter he's making right there. Small world heh?
    Surely is!!

Thanks very much!

CW

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You can not compare the LCT to the SDB as it’s an apples to orange comparison. The SDB is a full progressive while the LCT isn’t. The LCT occupies an area all by itself. Now if you want to compare the SDB to a 650 then it’s more accurate. But the station numbers don’t make it an exact comparison either.
    There are two presses that cannot be compared to anything else because there isn't anything else in the same design, the Lee Auto advancing turret presses and the Dillon 550. No one else makes anything even close. If one wants to compare the SDB with something then compare it to the Lee Pro 1000 as that is about as close as you will get.

Boolit Master

Well! The T-7 was delivered yesterday. It was supposed to be delivered last Thursday or Friday but in checking the tracking, it said that a delay was requested. Called Brownell's about it and they checked FedEx and said that there was minor damage to the box and it had to be re-taped.

When the package was delivered and I opened it, the extra turret was missing. It was obvious the box was retaped including a big tear in the bottom. Plenty big enough for the turret to get out.

Got an email from Brownell's that said essentially, that they were shipping the replacement turret and charging my credit card pending reimbursement from FedEx. I guess my only worry now is that FedEx will reject the loss claim and I might be charged for the replacement turret.

Aside from all that, the press is an amazing piece of equipment. Can't wait to mount it and get started using it. As I said in an earlier post, I'll try the methods mentioned here and decide which fits me best.
    I have pretty much known I would have a T-7. I have wanted one for some time, only thing has been cost preventing it. Everytime I have the funds something comes up more important... Some time before Christmas I learned of the Lyman *.. I then noticed it was 1/2 the cost and I haven't seen a lyman press that was not a good product. not to mention I live 10 miles form the factory.

Last month I took my gift cards and I bought the Lyman over the T-mag after reading many reviews stating that it was pretty much a wash for quality only real complaints where priming system and I have always preferred off press priming.

I haven't used it much maybe 50 rounds loaded so far but Its working just as I expected. case deflection last night on 30/06 cases was .002-.003, probably more then my Ultra Mag Redding this press replaced, but to be truthful I never measured the Redding...

I have owned a T-Mag and didn't like its deflection. This one doesn't bother me.

CW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast