Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: the other UP speciality

Banned

the other UP speciality

Some say pasties in the US started here when the Cornish miners came to work the iron mines. Don't know if its true but its not doubt true that this was the first area they became a popular food. the other is cudighi sausage. I see recipes on line for it everywhere but most of them really miss the mark. Mine came from the great grandma (well here great grandson my little sister was engaged to at one time) Its the real deal and there was only two resteraunts in the area (both owned by her daughters) that used the real one. Many others tried and come up short. its a fresh Italian sausage that is different then any other Italian sausage. Im giving you a 4 lb recipe because its one of those things you love or hate. Personally I think its hands down the best fresh sausage made. typical way to serve it is on a roll or on a bread like a loaf of French bread with fried onions mushrooms Peppers (if you like them. I don't) and mozzarella cheese pizza sauce.

4lbs ground pork but. Make sure its fatty pork but. I buy whole pork buts and trim out a lean roast and use the rest.
    4 tsp (tea spoon) salt
    1 tsp ground clove
    1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (the old lady made here own but lowerys works fine)
    3/4 tsp fennel sead
    2 tsp black pepper
    3/4 tsp allspice
    3/4 tsp sage
    3 tsp garlic powder
    2 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper. (this is one thing you can adjust to taste)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp mace
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup of red cooking wine. She used Holland house.
    I take my pork but in chunks before I grind it and add all the spices and mix. then grind through a med plate and add the wine to the bowl you mixed in to pick up any spices left behind and mix again thoroughly and refrigerate over night to let the spice work in. Its also the best sausage ive ever had on pizza and works in speggetti and lasagna too. Makes a good spicy breakfast sausage pattys too. If you use it on pizza spaghetti or lasagna its best to break it up into small pieces or meat balls not broke down into tiny bits. I was sworn to secrecy for years but this year the last of those two resteraunts closed and no family member is selling it anymore. A few years ago I knew people that would have killed to get this recipe.

Boolit Master
    I will try it.

It has many of the spices I use when I make both pork sausage & venison/pork sausage. Looks like a pretty tasty recipe.

Thanks for sharing it!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Looks like a great recipe, like JBinMN, see a lot of spices that go in my sausage. Thank you, sir. Hope to try it soon.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Lloyd,

Thank you for the recipe, but I'm thinking your butt is fixing to be grass when those two ghost ladies figure out you gave away their Momma's recipe,,,,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I boned out a pork butt and mixed and ground some today. Stuck to the recipe amounts for the most part, upped the red pepper, garlic, but reduced the sage. I like it, but it doesn't seem to like my stomach. Fried up a piece, "green", as my dad would say. Tasted somewhat different than Italian sausage I'm used to. Still, a good blend and a good sausage and a good taste. It's resting in the fridge right now, see how it is tomorrow. Thanks, I can always use another sausage blend.
    Last edited by gbrown; 02-08-2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Correction
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

One of these days I'll finally get around to trying my hand at "Cornish Pasties". Always seemed like a neat meal. Traditionally, when they were made to feed the hard working miners they were actually made quite large sized and were sealed in the middle so that one half was meat and potatoes (your "main meal") and the other half had a fruit filling and was your "dessert".

Cornish Pastie

For the Pastry (This is for Shortcrust)

• One and a half Cups Plain Flour
    • Lard or vegetable fat
    • Pinch of salt
    • Water

For the pastie filling

• Chuck steak or skirt, sliced and sauteed
    • Two Large potatoes, lightly boiled and diced
    • Two large carrots, diced
    • One large onion, diced
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • Water

Cornwall Pastie Recipe Method

The Pastry

Place flour and salt in a bowl, and then rub in the fat until the mixture is so fine that it falls through the fingers. Tip mixture onto a lightly floured table top. With your index finger make a well in the centre of the mixture. Add water a little at a time until it forms a pliable, but stiff dough.

The Cornish Pastie Filling

Finely chop the steak. Dice the potato, carrots, and onion. (You may prefer to slice them.) Add seasoning. Mix all in a bowl or to be really authentic use your kitchen table top.

Using a floured table top, roll out half the dough to a circle the size of a plate. Make a mound of the filling in the centre of the dough. Dampen round the edge of the dough with either water, or milk. Fold over the dough, to make a half moon shape, crimping the edges. Make a slit to let out steam. Brush with beaten egg to glaze.

Cooking your Cornish Pastie

Place on lightly greased metal baking tray in the middle of a preheated oven, for around 40 minutes at 450 F. The pastie is cooked when their undersides turn brown and crisp.

Cornish Pastie History and Folklore - Cornwall

There is as much folklore around the Cornish Pastie as there are recipe variations. One such tale said it was bad luck for fishermen to take a pastie on board a boat, but then again I know a modern day skipper that 'loves his pasties'. A very famous photograph from the late Nineteenth Century shows a group of tin miners at 'Croust Time' (that is meal time to you and I) tucking into very large pasties. (Incidentally the mining boom was largely over by the 1860's) Such pasties would have meat at one end and a fruit filling at the other.

Whatever the truth, there is no doubt that the pasty formed an important part of many working Cornishman's diet, be they miners, farmers, or fishermen. With the decline of the mining industry in Cornwall many Cornishmen were forced to emigrate, as far afield as the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, where they took the Cornish pastie recipe with them.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Reverend Al, Being from Georgia "pastie" won't cut it. Love the idea but gotta call it a meat pie! Needs a little minced fresh garlic and parsley too. And since everything's cooked the Georgia version would probably be deep fried! Ok, I'm sold. Got all the ingedients so this is lunch tomorrow! Plus, add a little sugar to a separate batch of that dough, use a fruit filling, sprinkle with powdered sugar out of the hot grease for dessert. We call them hand pies down here.....are we kin???

I make hand pies from time to time, these are fresh peach.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	235681
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

Wife and I made 25 pasties Friday. She does the dough so I don't have a clue other then its her pie crust recipe with no sugar added. For the filling an easy way to do it is cut up potato rutabaga carrot and onion. I go about 10 parts potato to one part rutabaga and and maybe about a 1/5 as much carrot as you do rutabaga. In my opinion meat should make up 1/4 of the filling. that's the problem with most places that sell them. they get real cheap on the meat to save money. For meat I use only venison but cheap steak will work too. just make sure you only grind it in a course plate and don't precook the meat. Meat needs to be a bit chewy not mush.

Good trick to making them is roll your dough out flat on the table and use a supper plate and trace around it with a knife. Makes the perfect sized pasty. We made. Amounts are critical just go with what you think you will like. When we made these 25 I didtn keep track of the amount of potatoes but we used on rudabaga about the size of a soft ball about 5 carrots and 4 med sized onions diced. Big job is cubing all the veggys. I like them cut into cubes. But theres even pasty places up hear that use food processors or grinders and throw everything including the meat though a fine plate. I call them mush pasties. You can have them.

take the pasties the size you made cutting with a plate brush some scrambled up egg over them and cook them at 300 degrees for about an hour and a half. You can get creative. I like cheddar cheese cooked in them. Some shops have many variations. Using sausage, sweet potato, skip the rudbaga and add moz cheese peperoni and pizza sause with the potatoes and make pizza pasties. Mix in some hot jalapenos or chilis uses beans instead of potatos and make Mexican pasties. Breakfast pastys seem to sell well too. Ive seen about every kind of meat from chicken turkey pork beef lamb and my favorite course ground venison. Just if you use something like venison or bird that's real lean put a slab of butter on top the filling before you fold it or they can get dry.

Proper Yooper way to eat them up here is smothered in ketsup. but some like gravy or melted cheese. But to be a real yupper pasty its beef (or venison) potato onion and rutabaga. some even question the carrot thing. comical thing is there pretty cheap to make. Especially for me because I use venison and get all my potatoes for free from the farm we do crop damage shooting at. they were intended as a cheap hot meal for the Cornish and Finnish miners and for me to make them it probably cost me 50 cents a piece. Some old fins around here used to say they would use there whole deer for the year just for pasty meat to make it go far. I cringe at the tourist shops up here that get 8-10 bucks a piece for them with barely any meat and have lines around the block on a summer day. Might be a good business idea for some of you that don't live in an area like I do where every tenth resteraunt is a pasty place

HT,

The Amish in central Ohio make hand pies. They call them fry pies. Very adductive.

BB

Lloyd,

Regarding U.P. cuisine i like their 7 course meal the best. 6 oack of Old Style and a bucket of smelt.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Some say pasties in the US started here when the Cornish miners came to work the iron mines. .
    Probably so, meat pies go back to the middle ages in Europe. The concept of pies as a dessert is really kind of new.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

Mexican people make "empanadas" - same thing as everything above. Pastry shell with meat ingredients inside, or if stuffed with fruit stuff, then it's sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar on the outside.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Lloyd,

Regarding U.P. cuisine i like their 7 course meal the best. 6 oack of Old Style and a bucket of smelt.

BB
    Sounds like a SETX 7 course meal--6 pack of Lone Star and a sausage wrap. I guess most parts of the U.S. have similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    .....are we kin???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	235681
    It's probably true since we have one big thing in common ... we both like to eat hearty! LOL ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Banned

I resemble that remark!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Lloyd,

BB

Banned

I remember once when I was in Guantanamo bay. We went to the EM club there and they were making what looked like tiny pasties. Being a yopper I had to try them. they were small so I bought 4 of them. One bite and my mouth felt like someone stuck a lit zippo inside. I had to give the others ones away to guys with stronger guts then me. Don't know what they were but I remember they did have a high percentage of some kind of meat in them. I know they were hotter then some of the hot peppers ive eaten. Im sure they could have made a profit giving them away as anyone that ate one would have to buy at least 6 beers just to cool there mouth down.