Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Teflon patching 45-70

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    No doubt you do have it down pat. That's fine. Keep doing it. But you are flat wrong about paper patches - which you obviously do not have down pat. That is all.

As for showing you how easy, ask and you shall receive

Or
    thanks

Boolit Master
    Some will say that long range accuracy is not important but I believe that all accuracy counts and what better way to determine accuracy than very accurate guns at long range. If it's most accurate a long range, I'm sure it will be most accurate at all ranges.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Some will say that long range accuracy is not important but I believe that all accuracy counts and what better way to determine accuracy than very accurate guns at long range. If it's most accurate a long range, I'm sure it will be most accurate at all ranges.
    Not necessarily. I've seen loads that shoot 1 1/2 moa at 100 yards but 1/2 moa at 600. Bullets do wierd stuff. The old British .303 match guns were kinda famous for it. It's why some high power shooters have a different load for each distance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    Not necessarily. I've seen loads that shoot 1 1/2 moa at 100 yards but 1/2 moa at 600. Bullets do wierd stuff. The old British .303 match guns were kinda famous for it. It's why some high power shooters have a different load for each distance.
    That sort of claim has wandered around for a long time. Years ago, someone put up serious money for anyone that could prove it, but no one collected.

If you think about the intellect a bullet would need to fly itself back on course after going amuck at midrange, you have to wonder who is making smart bullets.

Boolit Bub
    You all make good points. You are all correct in context, but consider, how many target shooters have the math chops to actually compute the variables in our sport of passion? Let alone the time &/or funding to create enough data to really objectively get scientific results. Only the larger ammo manufacturers have capital to make this kind of investment. The closest anyone has come to making concrete data of this quality was Mr Ken Waters' Pet Load series. I encourage all to share their opinions here & elsewhere, just keep in mind the context. My personal experience is that Teflon wrapped boolits are effective & lead very little. (given more then 2 wraps) On cast boolits the grooves make plenty of room for extra teflon & a reservoir for down the bore. Paper patch is an established but nearly lost art for over a hundred years. It works for me. I do prefer swaged cores for the patched boolits. The newer coatings have incredible potential for similar effectiveness. All the same I still know in some rifles & handguns the particular load can make the difference between a dime at 200 & a paper plate at 100yds. A very few arms can achieve MOA consistently with almost everything you feed them. My Dad's 3006 Rem760 is an example of the former, a 742 (now traded) in the same caliber was the second. Guess which I kept, Oh yeah, I gave it away ;~D
    My main point is there are just too many variables; barrel, action, bedding, bullet, concentricity, charge variance, temperature, barometric pressure, heartbeat, or whether you are having a good day to make maxims. We need to share our knowledge, economy, & tips. We all make it better, often teach the manufacturers a lesson or two.

Boolit Master
    Phyrbird,
    I cannot agree with you. That math and analyses are pretty simple actually. Several experimental designs can be chosen from. Some effort is required, but there is nothing here that is really all that difficult other than the time.

Teflon and plastic coatings may work very well. And you are welcome to use them if you like - for your own shooting and hunting. But for many of us the purpose of using vintage rifles is to experience vintage shooting. You might just as well use jacketed bullets for all the difference it makes to me. But there is a reason I'm not interested in that, and why it is not legal for most competitions.

Everyone shoots for himself. But if you want to experience vintage shooting, you have to stick with vintage powder and vintage bullets. At least I do.

Sentient bullets don't exist. Until they do, they can't fly back to their flight path once they are off of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    That sort of claim has wandered around for a long time. Years ago, someone put up serious money for anyone that could prove it, but no one collected.

If you think about the intellect a bullet would need to fly itself back on course after going amuck at midrange, you have to wonder who is making smart bullets.
    I think my boolits are dumb, after being launched they tend to get lost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I think my boolits are dumb, after being launched they tend to get lost

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    is this the "thin" white Teflon used for water pipe threaded joints Or the MUCH THICKER yellow or pink stuff used for natural gas pipe connections?
    Mine was the thin white plumber stuff. Would probably have given the thicker stuff a try if I'd been shooting .30-30 paper patched back in those days. As I said, it worked for the pistol rounds.

You're startin' to get me interested in messing with this again....
    Last edited by Optimist; 06-10-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123