WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked S&W FC?

Boolit Buddy

Cracked S&W FC?

Just bought my first S&W. A 4” model 19-5. It was from a coworker, and I thought a pretty good deal. It was a pretty quick transaction considering we know each other well and I certainly trust him.

But now that I’m looking closer I’m wondering if this has a cracked forcing cone. There’s not a lot of FC erosion. But at the 6 o’clock position there is this mark. Dosent look like a thru and thru crack. More like a divet that’s as deep as the FC bevel.

There’s a bit of fire cutting on the top strap, but nothing I’d worry about. But this divet makes me a bit cautious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B34303CB-F60A-4FA2-8C0C-18DE46E612D0.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	235471
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Boolit Master

Sounds like someone has been shooting a lot of +P or high pressure loads. Not the first K frame I have seen cracked at the thinnest point, the 6 o'clock position of the forcing cone. One of the reasons that S&W brought out the L frame as I have been told. Have you checked with S&W about it. Not repaired, the frame will go next just below that break on the forcing cone. My limited experience with this problem anyway, james

Boolit Master

Check out David Reiss at the Cast Bullet Association, He does a lot of S&W repair work, I believe he is a Factory Trained Armorer.

castbulletassoc.org
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Yessiree, that horse has been run hard & put away wet.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I had a similar failure with a M19, blue 6", back in the early 1970's when this model was still in production. The frame fractured at the 6:00 position (relative to the bore). I spoke with S&W and they asked me to ship it back to them for examination. Once they saw the fracture they replaced the frame, even numbered it the same as the original frame, and returned it to me. I told them I had been firing my own handloads, commonly a 125 grain jacketed or cast bullet, fast and loud. They answered this particular combination was wrecking high numbers of the M19 revolvers and suggested I go to a heavier boolit and back off the pressure. Since then I have become more responsible when loading for this revolver and a similar 6" M66.

That was then, this is now. Your revolver is out of production and the factory has no more replacement parts available to correct it. Your best hope is to locate a take-off barrel to replace the one in your revolver. Even after that you should remember that your revolver has been stressed high enough to open up the forcing cone, and possibly the frame along with it. In a previous edition of Handloader magazine an article dedicated to loading the .357 Magnum caliber isolated out the M19 for reduced loads, relative to the N-frame and similar larger frame size firearms, because of repeated issues of barrel and frame failures. Load discretely for the M19 and it will stay with you a long time.

Banned
    Based on the photo in the OP, YES that forcing cone is cracked. It also appears that there is a lot of erosion around the edge of the breach face.

The solution is to fit a new barrel.

And I agree with Hickory, that horse has been rode hard.

Boolit Buddy
    Mattd,
    DO NOT SHOOT THE GUN. It will only cause further damage and may scrap the frame in the event that the frame isn't already beyond repair.

Did your coworker knowingly sell you a gun that is unsafe to shoot? If he didn't disclose the forcing cone, you should check back with him. You mention knowing him well, so he likely wouldn't want to sell you a gun that's not shootable.

The gun is either in need of some costly repairs or is already beyond repair and only can be salvaged for parts. As Thin Man said, determining if the frame is scrap depends on whether the cracked forcing cone has damaged the frame threads.

Since this is your first S&W, I'm assuming you don't have the knowledge to make that evaluation yourself and will need the gun evaluated by a gunsmith who is knowledgeable with S&W's. You may need to pay for that evaluation to be made before even deciding what to do.

My honest opinion is that a shot out Model 19 isn't the best candidate for your first S&W. There are lots of other S&W revolvers out there. Leave this one for someone who is experienced enough to repair or salvage it.

Jason

At worst a rebarrel. I have seen a couple 19s with cracked forcing cones. Worse than yours. Takes a lot of HV
    110-120gr bullet loads to do this.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    That is the way my 19-3 cracked and it was less than 20 years old when it happened. It took 90 years for this Colt Army Special to crack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2058.jpg  

Boolit Master

It is not just that the 110 and 125 grain bullets do the cracking, it is the much higher chamber pressure associated with them that does the damage. jamess

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    That is the way my 19-3 cracked and it was less than 20 years old when it happened. It took 90 years for this Colt Army Special to crack.
    Mines no where close to this level of cracking. Would mine have some remaining life if it was only cast bullets, 147-185g. Some magnum hunting loads?
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Boolit Master
    If your co worker is really a friend, he should be happy to refund you your money. Looks like he had his fun with it.

Boolit Master
    Couple things like the forcing cone cracks. Obviously if you continued to use it (not recommended) is that it will get worse. You are letting high speed gas get between the barrel and the frame threads. Those threads are quite fine and they can also get cut by the gas. Second is the crack could get larger and actually distort the barrel to the point to when the barrel has to come off could actually damage the frame threads. You could end up with an expensive paperweight. I had a good friend who had a beautiful nickle plated M19 that he loved too shoot. I had donated a press and a set of steel dies for 38 special. At our gun club I watched him shoot and it wasn't 38's. Tole me he bought a set of 357 dies and a loading manual and was loading 125 grain bullets. He gave me the load and I went through 4 different loading manuals. He was like two grains over most of the max loads for that bullet weight. This was before computers and the internet. Called him up and told him his load was way too hot. Go to a 158 grain JHP and stay away from max loads. Supervel was at that time selling their ammo and that stuff was hot. Two years later he cracked the forcing cone. Back then send it back to S&W and they'd swap out the barrel. Not so today as they don't have any barrels to swap out. Check the wtb section over at the S&W forum, you'll most likely have to join up but it's free to use anything and post a WTB S&W model 19 barrel state finish and length and hope fully someone will have one. Call S&W and ask if you supply a M19 revolver with cracked forcing cone and a spare barrel will they install it. Pretty sure they will don't know what the $$$ will be but it will be done right. Check ebay also. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    Mines no where close to this level of cracking. Would mine have some remaining life if it was only cast bullets, 147-185g. Some magnum hunting loads?
    once something has started to crack, the crack will expand much easier . id not consider it a shootable firearm until it gets a new barrel. can you shoot it, yes. should you, no.

Boolit Buddy
    Mattd and fellow booliteers,
    There is a huge difference between forcing cone erosion and a cracked forcing cone. As erosion progresses, you can keep shooting, just recognizing that it is wearing and at some point will cross into the region where cracking is a possibility. Once you have a radial crack, you'd better stop shooting right there. When cracked you no longer have a circular pressure vessel. You now have a "C" and continued firing will potentially open the crack to where the barrel swells and damages the frame threads. Once your frame threads are damaged, your frame is trashed.

As a possibly relevant analogy, maybe it's like buying a used car. Tires are a wear item, and wear is subjective to your driving style and your maintenance schedule. Just because tires show wear, doesn't mean they are worn out. But at some point, tires become so worn to where you need to stop driving on them, or you risk damage to your car. Maybe tires aren't a direct analogy because you typically replace tires, but don't typically replace a revolver barrel. Maybe the analogy is more akin to you buying a car and realizing the engine is burned up and needs replacement if you're going to drive the car safely.

Mattd, I hope you will review the barrel with your friend and come to an amicable solution. Just like buying a car with blown engine wouldn't be a good first car unless you are a mechanic and know how to evaluate it and get it repaired, a revolver with cracked forcing cone like that isn't a good place to start a love for revolvers.

Jason

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    mattd - there is no more life left in that barrel. Stop shooting that gun and do not shoot it again until the barrel has been replaced.
    There is no other acceptable path. If you're lucky, the barrel can be replaced. I agree with JRD, try to find some amicable solution with the seller of that gun.

Boolit Buddy
    He took it back. No hard feelings. We’re at a conference together so he knew I hadn’t fired it.

I had already allocated that money And I still need to fill that spot in the safe. Either another 19 or a 686. What wear items should I look for in a used revolver?

Banned

Boolit Buddy
    Mattd,
    That's good to hear. If he wants to sell that gun he can find a home for it with full disclosure of the forcing cone. Someone will likely want it as a project or parts gun if it's priced accordingly.

The Model 19 is a beautiful handling gun, but was meant to be shot mostly with 38's and occasionally with 357's. A steady diet of jacketed 357 magnums will eventually cause the crack you had. Conversely, a Model 19 will last darn near forever with lead 38's. If you are OK with shooting mostly 38's and shooting 357's as a treat a vintage Model 19 will suit you fine.
    (158gr 357's are preferred over 125 or 110 gr for being less erosive)

If you want to shoot a lot of 357's, the 686 is a much more durable gun. But that comes at the expense of increased weight. Honestly as a range use gun, the 686 is superior. If you plan to wear it on your hip though, the 19 is better.

Another option if you want to buy new, is the recently reintroduced Model 19 Classic from S&W.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-19-classic
    The reintroduced Model 19 has a redesigned barrel shank which beefs up the wall thickness and eliminates the thin spot at 6:00 where original 19's would always crack. The new Model 19 barrel is not backwards compatible, and is more like a 686 barrel shank carefully engineered into the K frame.

Jason

Banned
    If you're looking for a DA revolver chambered in .357 mag there are a lot of options but I would lean towards the S&W L-frames (an old 581, 586, 681, 686), a current 686 or a Ruger GP-100 (new or used). If you find a nice Ruger DA Six series (Security,Service, Speed -Six) those are outstanding guns as well but no longer in production.

If you don't need a magnum the world of possibilities really opens up. Just about any S&W K-frame chambered in 38 Special will serve you well.

I load and shoot .357 mag occasionally and I'm proficient with the magnum but I FAR prefer the 38 Special. I load and shoot way, way, way more 38 Special than .357 mag. Don't overlook the 38 Special. A lot of people buy a revolver chambered in .357 magnum - in case they want to shoot magnums but end up shooting 38 Specials almost exclusively. In those situations the .357 mag chambering becomes a security blanket that is there just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast