MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slicking up my 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag for Cowboy Action Shooting

Slicking up my 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag for Cowboy Action Shooting

Getting into Cowboy Action. A lot of people use Winchester 1873 in .357 Mag to match their revolvers but I already had an 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag, so I decided to use it together with a brace of Ruger .357 New Vaquero Bisleys and a Stoeger 12-ga Coach Gun. (That's another story. How fun is a classic break-open double barrel 20"?!)

They say the Winchester 1873 has perhaps the ideal action. And watching them in action is a thing of beauty. They lever fast, smooth, reliably and easily.

My Marlin, on the other hand, has a resistance to it. Hard to unlock the lever and takes real effort to cock the hammer easily. Slows you down.

The guys said to reduce the hammer spring strength and polish the parts that exhibited any wear in the bluing due to rubbing.

From Brownell's I ordered Part Number 969000114 MARLIN REDUCED POWER HAMMER & FINGER LEVER SPRING KIT ($8). (Wolff 969-000-114WB Reduced Power Spring Kit Mfr Part: 33110)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolff Marlin Reduced power spring kit.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	235457

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...?sku=969000114

When the kit arrived I took the rifle apart and polished as many surfaces as I could using Flitz polishing compound and uxcell Mandrel Mounted White Conical Felt Point Polishing Tool. This combo doesn't remove metal. It just polishes.

Name:	Polishing Tips.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	235465

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $3.29 for 12.

I chuck the polishing tips in my $28 Harbor Freight 1/8" miniature air powered die grinder, which works great. It's smaller than a Dremel, quiet and is very maneuverable.

Name:	Harbor Freight Mini Die Grinder.jpg 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	235466

I installed the reduced power hammer spring easily.

Installing the finger lever spring looked much harder as it involved driving out a tiny pin (part #16 below) that didn't want to move, so I didn't do it, at first.

Name:	Marlin 1894 lever.jpg 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	235458

After reassembly, the rifle still exhibited resistance to moving the finger lever. It didn't want to "unlock" without effort.

So I removed the lever via its single screw, drove the pin out with a 1/16" drift, pulled the latch and its spring, reinstalled the new lighter spring and put the pin back in.

The secret to pin removal was to lay the lever directly onto my thin rubber cleaning mat, then pound the drift onto the pin. I had tried laying the lever on an armorer's block, but everything moved all over the place, making it really difficult to aim the drift. Laying the lever on a thin mat allowed me to start the pin moving out of its secured place.

Reassembled the lever into the rifle. What a difference. The rifle cycles much easier now. That lighter finger lever spring really makes it easier to get the lever moving.

Best part is that I still have the old springs should I want to restore the rifle to factory. No snipping of coils.

The buffing of surfaces helped too. Very easy to cycle the rifle now.

One final thing:
    I got tired of jamming those giant .44 Mag cases into the loading gate and cutting my fingernail. Those edges on the factory gate are sharp!

I looked around and found an aftermarket gate that's made of aircraft grade aluminum from Ranger Point Precision. https://www.rangerpointstore.com/cat...rms-parts.html

They make a great low-pressure, smooth-edged gate that drops right in. For $42 (cough). But my wife, who's also into Cowboy Action, didn't like how difficult it was to load the Marlin. Especially that last round. So I put in this Ranger Point Gate. Much easier to load now. I chose the gold-anodized version, to match the trigger color.

Name:	Ranger Point Marlin Gates.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	235463

One note of warning:

Very heavy loads may cause the lever to pop down. If it does, the gun won't fire. That spring is strong for a reason. This is for light Cowboy Action loads (like 6 grains of Trail Boss pushing a 200 grain cast bullet) not hunting.

UPDATE:
    I found that installing a light hammer spring and using the factory 2 or 3-piece firing pin caused a lot of light strikes and failures to fire. There simply was not enough hammer energy to make the multi-part firing pin strike the primer hard enough.

I installed a one-piece firing pin and have not had a misfire since.

https://onlineoutpost.net/product/18...wboys-indians/
    Last edited by Liberty1776; 05-02-2019 at 11:01 PM.

On the ejector side of the bolt, polish that groove good. Also look at how much the hammer hits the bolt when cocking. Some folks file down the hammer a bit. NOT recommended for a hunting gun..

You are correct. I can see very uneven wear on the hammer. As if it's not hitting the firing pin squarely. Further study is required before I start grinding, however.

I've heard tell that there's a solid firing pin assembly available out there, that replaces the factory two-part firing pin. More research is needed.

Boolit Master
    Regarding the loading gate, that's easy to polish. But also check the front of the loading gate opening gate on the receiver. Usually nothing more than an rectangular hole that does indeed to be stoned and polished to remove any burrs or sharp edges. Used some old tool and die makers stones to remove any burrs or sharp edges then filed and stoned a rounded bevel so basically no sharp edges would catch the rim of the cartridge case. Does tend to make the loading somewhat easier. That and stone or polish the groove that the ejector rides in as one member mentioned. I've about 8 lever actions in a few calibers. When looking at the part where the bolt pushes back the hammer these surfaces are not the same all across the hammer. The bolt may only touch one area rather than the whole area. Some do not even look like they were machined but just ground as on a large grinder. Evening up that section will make the cocking easier as you are spreading the force over a wider section rather than just one spot. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    When looking at the part where the bolt pushes back the hammer these surfaces are not the same all across the hammer. The bolt may only touch one area rather than the whole area. Some do not even look like they were machined but just ground as on a large grinder. Evening up that section will make the cocking easier as you are spreading the force over a wider section rather than just one spot. Frank
    Astute observation. Instead of wear on the hammer from hitting the firing pin, the wear is likely from the bolt as it cocks the hammer.

So you recommend adjusting the bolt's surface so it addresses the hammer evenly?

Boolit Master
    On Marlins, the hammer is pushed down further than needed after it catches the sear. The hammer nose can reshaped to be more rounded, and that in itself makes it smoother to work the action. Just go slow, and don't remove to much material. I still leave enough to were the bolt cocks the hammer a little more than needed, about .020! And you can remove half a coil at a time on the mainspring to make it lightweight, but not to much it still need enough to make solid primer strikes.

You don’t mention a one piece firing pin. They work great. They eliminate the huge Marlin stock mainspring thats needed to drive the hammer in order to move the 2 piece pin with a much smaller, easier to cock spring. That and some tinkering [polishing and spring lightening] on the lever lock will make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    You don’t mention a one piece firing pin. They work great. They eliminate the huge Marlin stock mainspring thats needed to drive the hammer in order to move the 2 piece pin with a much smaller, easier to cock spring. That and some tinkering [polishing and spring lightening] on the lever lock will make a big difference.
    Interesting. I guess I need to find a one-piece firing pin. I wonder why Marlin went with a two-piece pin in the first place?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Liberty - how many Belt Buckles do you figure you'll be winning after the Marlin action re-works?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    The two piece firing pin is a 'safety'...

When the gun is out of battery, a following hammer can not force the pin to ride on the primer...

One piece pin does indeed lighten cycling, but you also lose the 'safety' of the two piece pin...

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post

They say the Winchester 1873 has perhaps the ideal action. And watching them in action is a thing of beauty. They lever fast, smooth, reliably and easily..
    Your probably observing a short stroke 73. In my group, it appears about as many Marlin 94s as 73s. A slick Marlin feels good also.

Boolit Master
    The hammer suggestion is a good idea, I ground the top of the hammer down and radiused it on mine, as the bolt overcocks the hammer by a considerably amount. Extra drag on the bolt when cocking and closing the action. It makes a big difference in smoothing the action up. Go slowly and measure often, or you may have a single action Marlin.

I also had trouble with the reduced tension lever spring, allowing the lever to pop open whenever I attempted to load. It became a real PITA. I took the factory spring and cut a coil off it, and now it is still pretty light, and the lever will now stay closed.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Salmoneye View Post
    The two piece firing pin is a 'safety'...

When the gun is out of battery, a following hammer can not force the pin to ride on the primer...

One piece pin does indeed lighten cycling, but you also lose the 'safety' of the two piece pin...
    This is true. I had a misfire once a long time ago, on a big buck. After that, I removed the little spring that forces the two piece firing pin (rear section) out of position, and have been very happy since. The firing pin is still 2 piece, will probably drop out of line when the lever is not in battery, but I am not counting on that. I wanted "bang" when I pull the trigger, every time. The hammer stays on half cock while hunting, I have never missed that little spring. Dan

Boolit Master

When I was still shooting a lot of the Lady Shooters used "Cartridge Pushers". I made them for my Youngsters using a .30-30 case with a piece of hardwood dowel inserted into the case, sticking out about 1 1/2" . It fits into a .38cal cartridge loop. Works great for Ladies with LONG fingernails.

I stopped Cowboy Action Shooting 10yrs ago. After more then 20yrs things had changed so much, as far as I am concerned the whole thing became a joke, a Ghost of what it started as.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Antler tips work great for cartridge pushers. You need a piece about 3" long to allow enough to hold onto. Just drill a hole in the large end and run a leather thong through it. Mine hangs on the loop of my cartridge strip that I take to the loading table with the correct number of rounds for the stage.

Long Hunter used to make the one piece firing pins. I've got them in several of my Marlins and I really like them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the older marlins in 444 and looking at the hammer where the bolt pushes it back showed only one spot that was making contact. I took my time and slowley stoned just the high spot and as I did you could literally see the difference in the top of the hammer. Suspect that - that part may just have been profiled with a large grinder or maybe a large wheel mounted sanding belt machine. So using a magic marker as sort of layout marker. Kept stoning and watching how the hammer was being contacted by the bolt (done with the hammer in the action) stone, magic marker and see where the bolt was contacting the hammer over and over. Go slow and check frequently. And yes did make a huge difference. Haven't heard of this being done but don't take credit as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done it. For what it is worth I have about 8 lever actions. 30-30 (of course) 357,44 magnum,444,375 win of all of these my two favorites are the Canadian Centennials one with a 20" octagon bbl and the other with the 26" octagon bbl. I put a williams on and took off the barrel mounted rear site and used a steel dovetail blank and a Lyman globe front site. I called it my lever action match rifle. Plan to do the same with the longer bbled one. Frank

Boolit Master

Cartridge strips, for those mathematically challenged.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Liberty - how many Belt Buckles do you figure you'll be winning after the Marlin action re-works?
    Zero. Some of our shooter are really quick. I doubt I'll get that fast. My wife and I just enjoy hanging out with these people.

I bought the Marlin in .44 from a local, long before I considered CAS. It's what I have and it's factory. I don't think it was fired all that much. It's much easier to work now, especially for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    When I was still shooting a lot of the Lady Shooters used "Cartridge Pushers". I made them for my Youngsters using a .30-30 case with a piece of hardwood dowel inserted into the case, sticking out about 1 1/2" . It fits into a .38cal cartridge loop. Works great for Ladies with LONG fingernails.
    Sounds like a plan. I made a PVC thimble from some water pipe but it isn't comfortable to use. This seems a better design. I like the antler tip idea too. Goes with the leather.

Boolit Master

For that .30-30 case;

You can also drill out the primer pocket, making it a full diameter hole. Then thread a leather thong through it to make a extended handle or hanger. Just trim points on the thong, pull it all the way through until it stops on the ten penny nail you stuck through it across the case head. The tie a Hard Knot in the ends and pull it back up through the primer pocket. Glue in your dowel, radius the tip a bit and add some shellac and you are ready to go. Great for .32-20 & .357 kid guns.

For larger calibers, use a .40-65 dummy round with a RNFP cast of Linotype and epoxied into the case.

I don't think "water pipe" is very period.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast