Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Drill Press chucks?

Boolit Master

Drill Press chucks?

I need a new keyed chuck for a drill press, and I really don't know enough about this to make an intelligent decision.
    Short version: I needed a drill press on a job site that's local to wear I live so I got a couple of carpenters to help move the 3/4hp 14" Rockwell press from my shop to the site. The guy on one end snagged his pocket on the peg chains on my tractor and dropped the head of the press on the floor, busting up the belt cover and bending the motor shaft. I was able to replace that stuff, but in the meantime I bought another, larger, used drill press to do the work at the site. The replacement is a Craftsmen 2hp 20" press which has some features that are a big improvement over the smaller Rockwell for most of what I do. Unfortunately the chuck on the Craftsmen is loose as a goose. I put an indicator on the arbor and the runout is around 1 thousandth, (about the same as the Rockwell), but a bit in the chuck runs out more like 20 thou, and while it's tight in the jaws, the bit and jaws are loose in the chuck housing. OK for what we're doing at work right now, but I wouldn't want to try drilling and tapping scope mounts with it. The chuck is bigger than I need, 3/16" to 3/4" marked RJ4-19L. The parts list for this press lists the arbor as an MT3 JT4. When I bought the used Rockwell in 1995 for $100 I paid $150 for a good Jacobs chuck and twenty years later the runout on a bit is still not measurably greater than the runout on the arbor. However, these days the equivalent Jacobs chuck for the larger press is nearly $600 new. On line I see many options, some under $50. I really don't need 3/4", I think a 1/32 to 5/8 would suit me better, but a good Jacobs in 5/8" is still over $500. Are any of the other brands out there worth considering? Am I correct in assuming that any MT3 taper for the press quill will work as long as the chuck end matches the chuck spec? How much am I really giving up by giving up bearings in the chuck? Any brand names you'd recommend less expensive than the Jacobs?
    Last edited by BD; 02-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The MT3 is a #3 Morse taper that is in the quill of the drill press. The JT4 is a #4 Jacobs taper in the back of the chuck. Any chuck with a #3 Morse taper adapter will fit the spindle of your press. You will have to match the adapter to whatever chuck you get. Ebay is a good place to shop for drill chucks. Jacobs is the best. Stay away from Chinese junk.

Boolit Buddy
    MSC or McMaster/Carr may give you options on chuck sizes and qualities.

Boolit Master

Stay away from chinese junk is good advice.

Most of what is affordable in tooling comes from china.

Some suppliers stand behind the products they sell. The wares they sell come from the same factory as the junk found at the lowest possible price. Just made a different day.

Some suppliers sell tooling that has been through a quality check process, some just plan on shipping replacements until you, either get a good, one or give up in despair.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately ,spin a couple of bits in the expensive chuck ,and its back to Chinese standard anyway.............and you wont be unduly worried if the chuck goes missing...........which is very common on building sites.

Banned
    Once you are sure of the hole taper...
    I buy Cheap Chinese Chucks off eBay and they work fine. Unless you are using it in a machine shop and need super precision. There is a lot to be said for saving that kind of money. A 5/8 Chuck on eBay can be had for about $15. You would be lucky to get a genuine Jacobs for $150 USED. And I would rather have a new China made than take my chances on a used Jacobs.
    And for a $15 investment. Well...

Banned
    I have to agree with Traffer. If you don't need a lot of precision I would go with a cheap chuck for a jobsite tool that will get abused and maybe stolen. If you do need a lot of precision that's different story.

Boolit Master
    If I by a chuck for this it will be because I want to keep it in my shop in the the end. So precision is good. Currently I think even the Jacobs are all made in China. Any advice on which Chinese chuck you've had good luck with? Most of the cheap ones on Ebay aren't even labeled. Chucks seem to fall in three price ranges, under $50, between $100 and $200, and then bearing chucks $500+

Banned
    The ones I have are "San Ou" they seem to be the least expensive and work with no problems.
    I just looked on eBay. There are so many to chose from by so many manufactures it almost made my head explode.

Vendor Sponsor

It is a gamble but a good used Jacobs can be had from ebay. The one and only I got that way for my old Southbend lathe is good and was a great price. Look at the pictures and read the description. Hope for the best.

Jacobs chucks are in some cases rebuildable.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

I bought a nice looking used Jacobs 1/2" chuck for the tailstock of my lathe, when it got here, the tapered mandrel was bent. Using a new Jacobs mandrel only fixed the issue some of the way, so the chuck itself has taken enough of a knock to never be able to run true again. I eventually ended up using a Chacobs (China made Jacobs) which works plenty good.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    If I by a chuck for this it will be because I want to keep it in my shop in the the end. So precision is good. Currently I think even the Jacobs are all made in China. Any advice on which Chinese chuck you've had good luck with? Most of the cheap ones on Ebay aren't even labeled. Chucks seem to fall in three price ranges, under $50, between $100 and $200, and then bearing chucks $500+
    Why not buy a cheapie now for the job site work, and a better one once you have moved it back to your shop
    I'm sure you can afford the $15 chuck mentioned here.
    It's what I'd do,
    jmo

Boolit Grand Master

Chucks can range is price a lot. If the drill press has a Jacobs bearing chuck on it that's running out, Jacobs sells rebuild kits that allow the compete chuck to be rebuilt. At least they used to. This might be a better route to go. Also concerning run out check both tapers for dirt dings or other damage this can throw a chuck off a lot. This includes the taper in the chuck body.

Jacobs have been a "standard" on industry for years. Another good chuck is the Albrieght but it is a keyless.

Boolit Master
    Check with Grizzly.Their products are normally excellent.

Boolit Master

https://www.travers.com/search.aspx?keyword=drill+chuck

Lots of choices, buying from an industrial supplier such as Travers, MSC, McMaster allows for easier replacement if you are not satisfied with the quality of the product received.

I bought a new South Bend 5/8" chuck with JT3 taper for $40 plus shipping. It's way better than the old one I had, but not world class.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To install, heat the chuck to 350-degrees for a half hour in your handy toaster oven so it expands a bit. After install, it shrinks and holds fast.

Detailed instructions at https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...s-taper-83939/