WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hole/Pit in HR 12ga barrel, flaw or?

Banned

Hole/Pit in HR 12ga barrel, flaw or?

I am storing a friends HR 1871 12 pardner ga 3" mod and when I was cleaning it I saw this hole/pit (That does not go all the way through) in the barrel 6 inches in from the breech face on the left side of the barrel.
    Has anyone seen this before? My first thought was to contact HR and get a replacement.

Pictures are hard to take, lost the angle tips for my borescopes

Last edited by Conditor22; 02-06-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am assuming the pit does not go through the barrel. I have shot trap and skeet with a gentleman who managed to bulge a barrel of his Citori. It didn't bother enough for him to buy a new barrel. I would defineately contact HR and see what they say.

H&R doesn't exist anymore...

Boolit Master
    As a young lad I used my uncles H/R single barrel shotgun and it was much worse than that one as the whole barrels was full of rust pits. We used that gun till he sold it off when licencing become mandatory. I could never get my uncle to understand he had to clean his gun after use, I believe the rust started when someone gave him some cartridges loaded with black powder and it was never cleaned. Regards Stephen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
    H&R doesn't exist anymore...
    Well, that answers that question.

How about safety shooting it.

the pit is 6 inches in, 3 to 3 1/4 inches from the shotshell.

Is it safe to shoot?

Boolit Bub
    Is this a single shot break open H&R? Or a pump gun marketed by H&R 1871 (an offshoot of Remington/Freedom Group) as the pump guns are still marketed by Remington. If it's a single barrel you're pretty much out of luck other than finding a used barrel if you don't trust this one. If one of the pump guns contact Remington customer service as they handle the 1871 line guns as currently offered.

Boolit Master
    Sadly, I think you'll find that the company no longer exists, thanks to Remington and friends. the new nef
    and h&r weapons you see at the gun shops are old stock, and I don't think Remington is servicing the warranties. I would be glad to wrong, so let the world
    know if find otherwise.

Personally I would not worry about it. No one will ever shoot that hard kicker enough to burn the hole through the barrel. It's a flaw but the big hole in the end of the barrel is where everything is headed when the trigger is pulled. Just my .02 worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

You are storing it for a friend. I would let them know and assuming it bothers them, [and that it's a SS], let them know about a chamber adaptor that allows them to shoot 20 gauge shells in it. That would cover the pit with metal and eliminate any safety concerns. I would leave it alone if it were me.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    Thanks,
    I'll forward this information.

Banned
    Marlin / Remington now handle repairs for H & R

Marlin Firearms
    Arms manufacturers company
    Image result for Marlin Firearms
    marlinfirearms.com
    DescriptionMarlin Firearms Co., formerly of North Haven, Connecticut, is a manufacturer of semi-automatic, lever-action and bolt-action rifles. In the past, the company made shotguns, derringers and revolvers. Marlin owned the firearm manufacturer H&R Firearms. Wikipedia
    Parent organization: Remington Outdoor Company, Inc.
    Customer service: 1 (800) 544-8892
    Founder: John Mahlon Marlin
    Founded: 1870
    Headquarters: Madison, NC
    Subsidiary: H&R Firearms

Banned
    Well, that was a disappointment. I contacted customer service (H&R is a subsidiary of the Marlin/ Remington Outdoor Company) and they said for my friend to call this number and they would e-mail her a shipping label to the nearest service facility. She called and they refused to send her a free shipping label so she paid and shipped it. She just got it back and they said, even though she has had it less than 1 year, and even though it was a manufacturing flaw "it was a 2014 production gun nonwarrenty."

makes me not want to deal with Marlin/ Remington anymore for fear that if anything was wrong they would not fix it.
    And they also appear to be sexist because they promised me free return shipping but blew her off.

They refused to fix a 45-70 the kids bought me for fathers day last year. BIG chunks missing in the lands. I'm done With Remlin *** products myself. Gp

Boolit Master
    There's a thriving buy and sell forum on another site that deals exclusively with h&r/nef products. you'd be surprised what you'd find there.

This barrel would be fine for a liner or stub project.

BB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    This barrel would be fine for a liner or stub project.

BB
    I was thinking that too.

There's a guy on Ebay now with a whole line of shotgun barrel inserts. I'm gonna get one of the 18" 20 gauge to .357 Magnum ones.

How deep is the pit? It may be OK to shoot as it is. They are pretty robust guns.

Every man should own several break open single shot shotguns. They are the most useful gun a guy can own. I like the Savage/Stevens 220s and 94s best, but the H&Rs are good too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Perfect excuse to stub it.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    +1 on ebay inserts here is there home page all sorts of calibers from 22 to 45-70. https://chaszel.com

Banned
    Yes, you or I would stub it. It was given her for "home defense" really, a single shot!!

The point is. Marlin / Remington won't stand behind their firearms and I want to get the word out.

I'll probably buy her a child's size 410 pump (for easy maneuverability) and trade her for the H&R single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Yes, you or I would stub it. It was given her for "home defense" really, a single shot!!

The point is. Marlin / Remington won't stand behind their firearms and I want to get the word out.

I'll probably buy her a child's size 410 pump (for easy maneuverability) and trade her for the H&R single shot.
    ^^^^ That's been my experience. They won't get anymore of my money. Gp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast