Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Fire form load

Boolit Master

Fire form load

Would 1 cc, which my Lee dipper slide chart says is 9.4 gr of Bullseye, be a bit much as a FF load with a 160 gr Lee cast in a 30/30 A.I.?
    I've been using the .7 cc dipper, which is 6.4 grains if I remember correctly. It's written on one of my boxes and I've been using it since I got the rifle rechambered, but I just got a curious streak....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Check your loading manual. That sounds like an awful lot of Bullseye to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

My only experience with AI cartridges is a 22-250 AI with jacketed bullets. I use the max load listed for the parent cartridge. Probably not much help for your 30-30 load using a cast bullet and Bullseye. But you might look up 30-30 cast bullet loads and check.

Boolit Master
    I know the .7 cc load is nice and mild and forms the brass well.
    I tried some Green Dot but every now and then I'll get an unburned flake on the resized neck. It doesn't hurt anything, but I don't care for that bright spot on the neck. Bullseye doesn't do that.
    I suspect that I'll stay with what I know, rather than risk a KaBoom....

I did send an E-mail to Alliant powder to see what they say.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 02-06-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

The intent of the AI chamber was that one could fireform the case to the chamber with the normal load of the cartridge. This is generally what is recommended.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

when fireforming 7 waters I use either 5 grains of bullseye or 9 grains of unique.

Boolit Master
    I agree with Lloyd. I wouldn't use over 6 gr. of Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    The intent of the AI chamber was that one could fireform the case to the chamber with the normal load of the cartridge. This is generally what is recommended.
    I don't think a paper target no farther away than 100 yards needs a normal load. If I was using it to hunt with maybe it would be different, but to just turn the brass into A.I. configuration for further loading it's unnecessary.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I'd do that too. Just load regular stuff and take it to the range, then you've got proper fired brass.
    Ackley also did his wildcats so you could still use factory spec. ammo for the caliber if needed.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

9.4 grains of Unique in your 30-30AI with a 160gr. boolit will probably be a bit too much pressure, though that is hard to say. Due to spine problems I shoot fart loads in my 30-06 with Bullseye exclusively, using 8.5 grs. of Bullseye with a 200gr. boolit (again, in my 30-06). My research shows 9grs would be pretty max. for this combo, though while your boolit is lighter by quite a bit, your case capacity is correspondingly less, though I don't know by how much.

I would think using Bullseye with Cream of Wheat (no boolit) would be better in your case than shooting the boolit if you have to use Bullseye, but I have no experience doing this. NONE. I am just basing my response on your proposed combo. I think very seriously your best bet will be to load and shoot with regular loads as has been so heartily recommended by others. Conventional wisdom is easier, and safer, than experimentation in the dark, which you would be doing with 9.4grs of Bullseye. That combo is somewhat outside of conventional wisdom with "fart load" shooters, at least in my knowledge base. I think pressures rise very quickly with Bullseye when outside of proven limits.

Just curious (no offense intended): If all you are doing is shooting fart loads, why did you rechamber to AI? Any reason you have is a good and correct reason, I'm just curious (or did I miss something ?).
    Last edited by 40-82 hiker; 02-07-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add question

Boolit Master
    I think I would just anneal the necks and load a normal 30-30 load with some cheap bullets.

Boolit Master
    I've always wanted a 30/ 30 A.I. and the retired gunsmith that worked on the local Sheriff's office said he'd do it for free. Didn't need it, just wanted it. Now the loads I'm using with the .7 cc Lee dipper are not unsafe by any means. Very little recoil. And I can't see loading up heavy loads just to shoot paper. I have several of those 50 round boxes that are full of "full tilt" loads, should I ever be able to hunt again. Some very accurate loads with 150 gr. GameKings and Varget powder in the already fire formed brass. But for enjoyment I don't need to beat myself up with heavy loads. I want to enjoy my time at the range, not endure it....

Alliant sent me an e-mail saying that they have no info on my load, as they never tried it before.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

So load the lightest load for the 30-30 with 3031 or comparable and enjoy.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    I tend to agree with cream of wheat, I use 5 or 6 grains Red Dot with COW with a paper towel wad in a 7X57 Ackley to fire form 06 cases from a trim form die. Its best to hold the muzzle up to prevent uneven case mouths. Fire forms the case well, without the extra expense of the boolit.
    How do you like the 30-30 in AI? I have wanted to do it in a bolt action as to use spitzer J words. Have an old savage that might become a donor for the project.
    Any chronograph data and load info?Thanks

Moderator Emeritus
    If you are shooting light loads, the AI doesn’t do anything for you, performance wise. Just load the 30-30 with light loads and 30 AI should come out after the shot. Enjoy the fire forming loads also!

Boolit Master
    So far it's great. But I'm just fire forming at the time. I do have 20 or so loads ready to shoot that are A.I. loads in A.I. brass. The last time I took it to the range and fired loads from the A.I. brass I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy. Varget is my powder of choice.
    I shot 50 rounds this morning, some were 4227 regular loads and the rest the aforementioned BE load. I didn't take any pictures, but the BE load @ 50 yards was 2" High. When I aimed a bit lower the middle of the target disappeared. It's a slow moving bullet, I can fire it and then hear the boolit hit.
    As for Cream of wheat or any filler, I'd rather punch a hole in the paper than shoot at the clouds with a breakfast food. But that's me. Casting is a hobby and the results are the reward.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ