Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast loads in a 9mm Mak.

Boolit Buddy

Red face Cast loads in a 9mm Mak.

What do you use to load a 9mm Mak.
    I Have looked for loading info (cast or jacket ) and I am finding nothing.
    I would like to use cast. One load I found said bullet dia. was .364. ???

I am also not finding any case length data.

Any help will be appreciated.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate has several molds for 9mm MAK. Trim-to length is .710, max. .713", bullet diameter .366"

Use Accurate http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=37-125T-D.png 37-125T with 2.5 grains of Bullseye
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    I use the Lee 365-95-1R and PC it over 2.6 gr BE --- slug your barrel before sizing, my Bulgarian mak slugged out at .366

There is a link to makarov.com that has some load data

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

What I found very helpful is I converted only the nickel brass 9x19 in 9x18 mak to make sorting brass easier

Moderator Emeritus

I also use the Lee 365-95-1R, cast with COWW, mine drop at about .366 so I don't size them, I just TL them and load them with a standard load of Power Pistol in converted 9x19 Mil surp brass, I believe I found the load in the Lyman CBHB4.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I had wondered about converting the 9x19 to 9x18 but had not checked it out .

A Big thank you to you both.

Me 2 on the Lee Boolits I have a Russian Mak and 2 CZ82's These boolits work real well when PC'd.

I also have a Saeco Mak HP Mould that a guy paid nearly $200 for, works almost as well as the $20 Lee mould.

I PC these a pretty Lime Green.

I cut down 9x19 cases then I stuff the Mak expander plug into them and flare them. Then load as normal. If you can find them after you shoot them they will be fire formed, then reload as normal.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I did not expect so many mac loaders in this throw away world. But I guess cast boolits people are different. In a good way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Me 2 on the Lee Boolits I have a Russian Mak and 2 CZ82's These boolits work real well when PC'd.

I also have a Saeco Mak HP Mould that a guy paid nearly $200 for, works almost as well as the $20 Lee mould.

I PC these a pretty Lime Green.

I cut down 9x19 cases then I stuff the Mak expander plug into them and flare them. Then load as normal. If you can find them after you shoot them they will be fire formed, then reload as normal.

Randy
    Thats why I use only nickel brass for mak and normal for luger --- easy to find and differentiate between luger

I have an MP mold. It’s was my first mold so I went all apt. Works great but kinda overkill, I think the Lee mood would be ideal for it.

Boolit Master

I load for an EG Mak and a CZ82. The Lee bullet, powder coated and sized to .366", works great in both.

I love the idea of using nickel brass, but I got in the habit of trimming the "stepped" 9mm brass. I sorted it out from regular 9mm as scrap, but then figured it should work well for 9x18. I found that some European 9x19 brass was tapered such that when trimmed shorter the bullet would be seated into the taper, bulging the case. The annoying "stepped" brass that everyone scraps is nicely thin for as deep as a a Mak bullet seats. The load I use is perfect for them, and whenever I sort brass I just set them all up on the counter and look for the stepped ones. If there are some extra longer stepped brass that got picked up along with, they get trimmed down to 9x18 too.

Boolit Buddy

Not sure if I will bother casting in 9mm Mak. I just got my High Cap last fall. I have another shooting friend that saved his Hornady 9x18 empties and was kind enough to give them to me. I cleaned all 160 of them and have some test loads ready with VV-330 powder. I won’t list the charge yet since I want to check for pressure signs. I will likely load 20 test rounds with 4.1gr. Of Unique but my energy tapers off rapidly after the kids go ro bed. Right now I am using Meister .365 93gr. RNL bullets.

Boolit Master

I was trimming down 9x19 until Starline came out with 9mmMakarov brass................Lee mold, don't size. Works!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I load for an EG Mak and a CZ82. The Lee bullet, powder coated and sized to .366", works great in both.

I love the idea of using nickel brass, but I got in the habit of trimming the "stepped" 9mm brass. I sorted it out from regular 9mm as scrap, but then figured it should work well for 9x18. I found that some European 9x19 brass was tapered such that when trimmed shorter the bullet would be seated into the taper, bulging the case. The annoying "stepped" brass that everyone scraps is nicely thin for as deep as a a Mak bullet seats. The load I use is perfect for them, and whenever I sort brass I just set them all up on the counter and look for the stepped ones. If there are some extra longer stepped brass that got picked up along with, they get trimmed down to 9x18 too.
    I'm sure you know what I'm about to say, but since you didn't mention it, I feel compelled to do so, in case others think this might be a good idea (not to say this is a bad idea).
    The thick 'step' reduces case capacity. Loads should be worked up for that brass, separately. A load that works well in standard brass, as well as converted standard brass ... may be an over-pressure load in converted stepped brass.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I got NOE’s SC367-102-RF, which works well in in P64, EG Mak, RK-59. I needed to have a little ramp work done on the P83 for that bullet but the Lee RN works fine in all. I didn’t mess with the headache of creating brass ftom 9x19, instead buying Mak brass from Starline. W231 works well. I think i’m using BE-86 powder at the moment.

Banned
    If you like Mak's, you'll love Tokarevs the European ones are bulletproof tack drivers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'm sure you know what I'm about to say, but since you didn't mention it, I feel compelled to do so, in case others think this might be a good idea (not to say this is a bad idea).
    The thick 'step' reduces case capacity. Loads should be worked up for that brass, separately. A load that works well in standard brass, as well as converted standard brass ... may be an over-pressure load in converted stepped brass.
    Thank you for clarifying. Yes, the load I use in these stepped cases is worked up, tested, and chronographed in the stepped cases. It's basically a warm .380 load. I have no doubt that the gun could take a lot more but I see no reason to push it.

As to why I convert brass instead of buy it? What can I say, I'm cheap. 9x19 brass is free and plentiful, and the way these little blowback guns fling brass, I never find it all. So, I take my time and trim some down every once in a while. It works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Does for me too. I too have the Miha's mold - and have one HP and one full cavity in it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Thats why I use only nickel brass for mak and normal for luger --- easy to find and differentiate between luger
    Yes that can be problematic, and that's why I made lots, which I will probably never shoot all of.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    There are two Bulgarian Mak's in my family. I load for both of them, cast and j-words. For the cast I got a Lee mold just to try. Loaded them as cast because I didn't have a sizer, have never slugged barrels of either pistol. They worked great, accurate, shoot to point of aim, no leading. Have had best accuracy with cast with Titegroup, with Bullseye a close second. I use reformed 9x19 brass as well as factory mak and Starline, good luck with all of them. Very reliable and fun little pistols.

I have an IJ70 single stack and the Ranchdog 100 gr FP Lee six cavity mold. They cast at .367". I tumble lube and shoot as cast.
    Works great and no leading. If they pass the plunk test then they work. I downloaded Ranchdogs load data before he took it down.
    I could send a copy to you if you like. I haven't shot mine for awhile been to snowy or cold to go.
    Been loading lots waiting for the weather to change.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast